Max nitrates for a damsel to survive cycling?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rscott
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Rscott

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 29, 2018
Messages
712
Reaction score
484
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know cycling with hardy fish is generally frowned upon but I have read it’s also an acceptable method of feeding the bacteria while it cycles

What would you say the max nitrate levels are for a hardy fish like a damsel?
 
Last edited:
any ideas on numbers?

Just curious for knowledge what is say lethal vs is what is not good vs what is acceptable for long term health
 
Just looking for info

I get that it’s frowned upon

Wanted to know what is

Life threatening vs just not good on nitrates

Obviously if there is 1ppm of ammonia in the tank and you drop a few fish in your an idiot. I get that part
 
Honestly, ammonia and nitrites are what you need to be concerned about as far as killing or harming a fish that you’re cycling with. They can kill at very low levels. Nitrates are the last step in the nitrification process and are produced after the tank is fully cycled, not during the cycling process. They are continually produced in a cycled tank and people often run tanks with reasonably high nitrate levels.

I’m not quite sure where you’re going with this question, but it sounds like you don’t really understand the cycling process.
 
Honestly, ammonia and nitrites are what you need to be concerned about as far as killing or harming a fish that you’re cycling with. They can kill at very low levels. Nitrates are the last step in the nitrification process and are produced after the tank is fully cycled, not during the cycling process. They are continually produced in a cycled tank and people often run tanks with reasonably high nitrate levels.

I’m not quite sure where you’re going with this question, but it sounds like you don’t really understand the cycling process.

Just a question
 
Any posting of a fish cycle is a hot button topic you will receive hell for even bringing it up lol but to answer your question, in general .25 ppm is acceptable in general and anything above is the "stress" zone. I would say at 10ppm you are really pushing it. I personally don't condone any sort of fish cycle including in fresh water tanks with 25 cent fish. I hope my answer helped some
 
but to answer your question, in general .25 ppm is acceptable in general and anything above is the "stress" zone. I would say at 10ppm you are really pushing it.

This is definitely not the case for nitrates. Many tanks are sun successfully with much higher numbers.
 
Any posting of a fish cycle is a hot button topic you will receive hell for even bringing it up lol but to answer your question, in general .25 ppm is acceptable in general and anything above is the "stress" zone. I would say at 10ppm you are really pushing it. I personally don't condone any sort of fish cycle including in fresh water tanks with 25 cent fish. I hope my answer helped some
.25 for nitrates?
I think you are a bit confused

People regularly run 5-10 not .25 and consider
it safe

I’m assuming you just misplaced the decimal point but even 25 is not that bad as I understand it
 
Last edited:
I know cycling with hardy fish is generally frowned upon but I have read it’s also an acceptable method of feeding the bacteria while it cycles

What would you say the max nitrate levels are for a hardy fish like a damsel?
Hi @Rscott I'm @ScottR - I guess you’re the alternate me. Only problem with using a damsel to cycle is having a damsel in my tank after cycling. To me, damsels are devils!!!!;Nailbiting
 
Hi @Rscott I'm @ScottR - I guess you’re the alternate me. Only problem with using a damsel to cycle is having a damsel in my tank after cycling. To me, damsels are devils!!!!;Nailbiting

Haha well hello my alter ego!

I read that a blue sapphire or “springer” damsel is not as mean as some others?

Not the case?

I was reading up and several people say they are fine if you have lots of cave type aquascape that they can find a place to call there own that can remain their own long term and they can defend it.

Who knows I have been in the hobby for 5 weeks lol
 
Haha well hello my alter ego!

I read that a blue sapphire or “springer” damsel is not as mean as some others?

Not the case?

I was reading up and several people say they are fine if you have lots of cave type aquascape that they can find a place to call there own that can remain their own long term and they can defend it.

Who knows I have been in the hobby for 5 weeks lol
I’ve never kept those kind. I’ve had yellow fin blue damsels. They’ll bully fish twice their size. I currently have some blue green chromis which are a type of damsel and are extremely friendly. Perhaps a bit shy. But chromis are subject to uronema parasites and probably wouldn’t do well in a cycling. But there are lots of people that swear that you can put any fish in and a good bottled bacteria and cycle instantly. Fritz turbo 900 I think is a popular choice. Don’t quote me on the exact name. But the quality of these bottled bacteria products are much better than days past where damsels were a popular option.
 
I know cycling with hardy fish is generally frowned upon but I have read it’s also an acceptable method of feeding the bacteria while it cycles

What would you say the max nitrate levels are for a hardy fish like a damsel?


So is this the thing you were referring to in your skimmer thread? :)

How is your tank cycle going?
 
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-06/rhf/index.php#5


check the section "how toxic is nitrate to fish"


FWIW, using live animals to cycle a tank isn't really 'frowned upon' it is intentional animal abuse. :D

Not really cycling, just simple 2 days early then my reef mature kit suggests. ammonia was < .15 (less then) nitrites were < .2 less then.

Everything else was on the money. They are eating and swimming like normal. Temps good, pH good, Alk good, Water is nice and clear with no algae.

I think there is a difference between throwing a few fish in with ammonia at 1ppm and nitrites at 5 vs what i did which might of been a day or two early but hardly what i would call harmful.

Also, now that the secret is out, my nitrates were 25.

Not 150 as some have suggested that is the harmful level. So with more info now posted i would not say what i did was cruel. They seem to be doing pretty well right now.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top