Melanurus Wrasse died next day in QT

I propose a test. We take six margarita snails and run them a week in a horrible velvet tank posting up in the disease forum, then we move the six snails into ninjamysts tank and that tank goes on livecam three days after addition of the mailed snails.
 
Anybody know what this is around him? Is this a cause or effect of him being dead?
 

Attachments

  • 20210829_162151.jpg
    20210829_162151.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 62
  • 20210829_162038.jpg
    20210829_162038.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 66
I have no idea on its state of disease, but you want all initial losses to happen outside of the main display,
This can't be emphasized heavily enough.

I'd love to buy all of my fish pre-quarantined (and I do mean having gone through a proper quarantine process), but our available options up here are actually very limited. There are a total of four companies across the country that sell pre-quarantined fish and will ship them to you, and of that group two of them never seem to have any fish in stock.

I can't say enough good things about Ethical Aquatics and New Dawn Aquaculture, but they're small operations and they keep only limited stock; and much of what they have (like Tangs), are things that Won't Fit in My Tanks.
 
Just want to point out that people are quick to point to blaming QT but we have no evidence of what killed the fish. Literally no information.

It could have been as the QT tank is not set up properly but it also could have been acclimation or a sick fish. We don't even know if it was eating at the LFS or anything.

We can not say what killed this fish. Only what can be done better for the next one.
 
@QuinnLee512

Really simple question from me: did you have an airstone/powerhead? Any oxygen source?
 
@QuinnLee512

Really simple question from me: did you have an airstone/powerhead? Any oxygen source?
I got a brand new 10G kit from Petsmart with heater, thermometer, HOB, fish net, etc.. So to answer your question, I only used the HOB from the kit.
 
Just want to point out that people are quick to point to blaming QT but we have no evidence of what killed the fish. Literally no information.

It could have been as the QT tank is not set up properly but it also could have been acclimation or a sick fish. We don't even know if it was eating at the LFS or anything.

We can not say what killed this fish. Only what can be done better for the next one.
Correct trying to learn from my mistake and not repeat it. I did the exact same thing as when I got my clown but my clown is fine and in my DT. I will do better at acclimating for next time. Will also add some sand.
 
I got a brand new 10G kit from Petsmart with heater, thermometer, HOB, fish net, etc.. So to answer your question, I only used the HOB from the kit.
Uh oh. I think we found the cause.

When you said the wrasse was breathing heavily I immediately thought oxygen deprivation.

Is your 10 Gallon tank still set up? Can you take a picture/video of the surface of the water? I’m almost positive the fish drowned (yes, fish can drown).
 
Correct trying to learn from my mistake and not repeat it. I did the exact same thing as when I got my clown but my clown is fine and in my DT. I will do better at acclimating for next time. Will also add some sand.
Clowns are much hardier than most other species. Clowns are pretty bullet proof.
 
Uh oh. I think we found the cause.

When you said the wrasse was breathing heavily I immediately thought oxygen deprivation.

Is your 10 Gallon tank still set up? Can you take a picture/video of the surface of the water? I’m almost positive the fish drowned (yes, fish can drown).
 

Attachments

  • 20210829_170639.jpg
    20210829_170639.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 20210829_170609.jpg
    20210829_170609.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 49
Uh oh. I think we found the cause.

When you said the wrasse was breathing heavily I immediately thought oxygen deprivation.

Is your 10 Gallon tank still set up? Can you take a picture/video of the surface of the water? I’m almost positive the fish drowned (yes, fish can drown).
Most HOB filters provide adequate oxygenation in a 10 gallon tank, especially if no meds are being given.
 
Most HOB filters provide adequate oxygenation in a 10 gallon tank, especially if no meds are being given.
I agree. I though OP filled waterline flush to the water fall. If the surface of water isn’t moving much you will have oxygen problems.
 
Looks like plenty of surface agitation for a single wrasse. This wrasse could’ve died from dehydration from improper acclimation, disease, or some other unknown cause... unfortunately losses happen. Sorry for your loss OP :(
 
Looks like plenty of surface agitation for a single wrasse. This wrasse could’ve died from dehydration from improper acclimation, disease, or some other unknown cause... unfortunately losses happen. Sorry for your loss OP :(
It’s true.

And Wrasses are VERY finicky.
 
Looks like plenty of surface agitation for a single wrasse. This wrasse could’ve died from dehydration from improper acclimation, disease, or some other unknown cause... unfortunately losses happen. Sorry for your loss OP :(
I noticed him breathing rapidly pretty much from the time I put him in my QT. That was probably around an hour or so from being put in a bag at the lfs. I really want a melanurus wrasse so I might give it another try this week. :-)
 
I noticed him breathing rapidly pretty much from the time I put him in my QT. That was probably around an hour or so from being put in a bag at the lfs. I really want a melanurus wrasse so I might give it another try this week. :)
Make sure it’s eating in the store.
 
I noticed him breathing rapidly pretty much from the time I put him in my QT. That was probably around an hour or so from being put in a bag at the lfs. I really want a melanurus wrasse so I might give it another try this week. :)
I hope your next one is a success! I’m partial to Mels they’re beautiful, awesome fish! Here’s my chunky boy
A50C9627-C7AB-49E1-B700-61DDB1834771.jpeg
 
Most HOB filters provide adequate oxygenation in a 10 gallon tank, especially if no meds are being given.
This is the setup that I'm using for one of my QT: just the HOB that the 10g was packed with. I don't even have a heat source, as it's in the furnace room where the temperature is constant. I have an orange-spotted tuskfish (not my original order) and a blue headed goby. They're doing fine in it.
 
I hope your next one is a success! I’m partial to Mels they’re beautiful, awesome fish! Here’s my chunky boy
A50C9627-C7AB-49E1-B700-61DDB1834771.jpeg
And useful and I read fun to watch. I'm just looking for beneficial fish at the moment for pest and algae control.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top