Meredith's 180 In-wall happy place

Thanks! I got that acantho for a song and a dance at a frag swap! I was super lucky :)
I didn't know you could sing and dance! There is no end to your talents! :D
 
Might be a stupid question but I remember you had 4-5 anthias in QT at one time. Could you offer any tips on how to get them thru this with no losses? Seems they like to eat atleast 2x a day and I'm afraid with no liverock the ammonia will skyrocket fast and can't use amquel since i'll be using dosing cupramine, for a month then prasipro. I have a 29 gallon qt ank with a aquaclear 70 power filter will this be enough?
 
Might be a stupid question but I remember you had 4-5 anthias in QT at one time. Could you offer any tips on how to get them thru this with no losses? Seems they like to eat atleast 2x a day and I'm afraid with no liverock the ammonia will skyrocket fast and can't use amquel since i'll be using dosing cupramine, for a month then prasipro. I have a 29 gallon qt ank with a aquaclear 70 power filter will this be enough?

I actually ended up losing all the anthias once they went into the display. They wouldn't eat much at all once in the display and got very thin. Poor things. Next time I'll try larger ones instead of the tiny ones I did last time.

They did do pretty darn well in QT though. I fed them as often as I could and used a seeded sponge that was in my display for several months. That helped amazingly with ammonia along with frequent water changes. They ate well in QT, but once in the display with my aggressive eaters, they didn't fare so well.
 
Meredith could you show us more pictures of your build and sump. Thank you.
The lights aren't on yet in the display, but here is the right hand side with all the electrical mess.
19424383_1931291350229698_217111491893910907_n.jpg

And the left side with the mixing station and RODI unit.
19225734_1931291286896371_6723770939638692417_n.jpg

And the sump and plumbing underneath. I did it real simple. It's pretty loud but since it's in a room of it's own, the sound doesn't matter too much. If I ever have to move this tank to where it's in a living room I'll have to redo the entire plumbing and sump set up.
19424375_1931291260229707_5580487915891101612_n.jpg

Semi close up of the sump itself. Nothing real special here.
19399718_1931291213563045_7198768768671963800_n.jpg
 
I actually ended up losing all the anthias once they went into the display. They wouldn't eat much at all once in the display and got very thin. Poor things. Next time I'll try larger ones instead of the tiny ones I did last time.

They did do pretty darn well in QT though. I fed them as often as I could and used a seeded sponge that was in my display for several months. That helped amazingly with ammonia along with frequent water changes. They ate well in QT, but once in the display with my aggressive eaters, they didn't fare so well.

This is kinda the results Ive always had with them. They are very timid, shy eaters any any voracious eaters scares them. This time I plan to add them to my display before all my other larger tangs and wrasses.
 
actually ended up losing all the anthias once they went into the display.
I had the same problem. The first 3 I ordered were larger but 2 of them were changing to male and they harassed the only true female to death then one killed the other. I got them separated too late.
Then I picked up 4 smaller ones hoping to avoid the male issue that ended up being tiny. I got 2 through QT but I never saw either of them after 2 days in my DT.

I didn't realize they would be this difficult. :(
 
I had the same problem. The first 3 I ordered were larger but 2 of them were changing to male and they harassed the only true female to death then one killed the other. I got them separated too late.
Then I picked up 4 smaller ones hoping to avoid the male issue that ended up being tiny. I got 2 through QT but I never saw either of them after 2 days in my DT.

I didn't realize they would be this difficult. :(

Yup. I always tell people these are not easy fish to keep. They always ask me why. It's hard to explain to them the exact reasons here... but yeah. Next time I'll try them a bit bigger. For now I'm happy with the Achilles tang, Hippo Tang and copper band I have in QT at the moment. They have another couple weeks before they get to go to their new home. Knock on wood they make it!!
 
The lights aren't on yet in the display, but here is the right hand side with all the electrical mess.
19424383_1931291350229698_217111491893910907_n.jpg

And the left side with the mixing station and RODI unit.
19225734_1931291286896371_6723770939638692417_n.jpg

And the sump and plumbing underneath. I did it real simple. It's pretty loud but since it's in a room of it's own, the sound doesn't matter too much. If I ever have to move this tank to where it's in a living room I'll have to redo the entire plumbing and sump set up.
19424375_1931291260229707_5580487915891101612_n.jpg

Semi close up of the sump itself. Nothing real special here.
19399718_1931291213563045_7198768768671963800_n.jpg
Thanks. I will love to have that space for my equipment. Congrats
 
Thanks. I will love to have that space for my equipment. Congrats

Thanks! I'm still working on it slowly. I have a friend that is going to help me build an electrical cabinet for all that Apex crap which will go a long way to cleaning things up a bit. I also plan to get a new ATO and set it up on the RODI holding tank so I don't have to fill the jug every couple days. There are other things too, but for now that's all I can think of.
 
Your mess makes me feel better about my mess! ;)
 
Thanks! I'm still working on it slowly. I have a friend that is going to help me build an electrical cabinet for all that Apex crap which will go a long way to cleaning things up a bit. I also plan to get a new ATO and set it up on the RODI holding tank so I don't have to fill the jug every couple days. There are other things too, but for now that's all I can think of.
Bah, thats not so bad. A couple sticks of this would go a long way to cleaning up the wiring.
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com...571&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=cable+raceway&psc=1

Also, you don't add Kalk to your ATO water, do you? Why not just use your RODI holding tank as your ATO container? Just make sure you add a siphon break and it should work just fine.
 
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Looks awesome. Easy to lose track of time reading this thread! Just started my own build. Just got the electrical and floor support completed today. Tank stand will be in Monday, and the tank a few weeks after. 100gal custom build. I really love the pink insulation board idea! Thanks for taking us along for the adventure!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top