Mr. Coral Auctions, Who's been winning?

so as long as you dont download the photo you are good? then just use the original URL instead of downloading and uploading to a diff server. also you mentioned attribute credit. if I attribute credit can i do it all day long as long as I dont save it? also would linking the photo to its original url be considered attributing credit? I dont know about all this...its sounds vague and impractical from my point of view. according to your last post it must be saved and credit must not be attributed. well on the internet I rarely have to save a photo to use it and I usually use it by linking to the original url. does this mean I am good to go...
 
You cannot simply give credit to the photographer to use a photo, you must have permission to use it. You cannot use a photo that someone else was given permission to use, you personally must have permission. The photographer may then stipulate that you give them credit for the photo. In your scenario, what if you are linking to a URL that is using a stolen photo. I have seen photos of mine all over the world. I always give permission to those that ask to use them and simply ask that they leave my signature on them and do not alter them (other than resizing).

That being said, photos are 'stolen' and posted everyday and there is no practical or easy way to police them. I usually find out my photos are posted somewhere because I have friends that look out for me and will let me know when they see one somewhere. If a photographer wants you to take his photo down, they will usually contact you and ask you to do so. If you do not comply, they can go to the site you posted it on and have them remove it. In extreme cases, if the site does not remove it, I believe, the photographer can go to the service provider and have them deal with the site. That would be extreme and probably time consuming to do.
 
Side question, if I right click save a pic from Europe and repost in US, where does crime take place? Whose laws have jurisdiction?


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
So You Can
KEEP CALM AND REEF ON!!
 
I've purchased several in Dec of last year but sadly MrCoral sent them regular man not overnight so you can guess what I received a week later. But he was able to replace 2 of the 6 but some were only "last ones" so wasn't able to got them replaced. I will post pictures of what survived and grew in awhile.
 
You cannot simply give credit to the photographer to use a photo, you must have permission to use it. You cannot use a photo that someone else was given permission to use, you personally must have permission. The photographer may then stipulate that you give them credit for the photo. In your scenario, what if you are linking to a URL that is using a stolen photo. I have seen photos of mine all over the world. I always give permission to those that ask to use them and simply ask that they leave my signature on them and do not alter them (other than resizing).

That being said, photos are 'stolen' and posted everyday and there is no practical or easy way to police them. I usually find out my photos are posted somewhere because I have friends that look out for me and will let me know when they see one somewhere. If a photographer wants you to take his photo down, they will usually contact you and ask you to do so. If you do not comply, they can go to the site you posted it on and have them remove it. In extreme cases, if the site does not remove it, I believe, the photographer can go to the service provider and have them deal with the site. That would be extreme and probably time consuming to do.
so that means reply with quote is breaking the law.
Thanks for a more succinct way of putting it. I didn't like how it was being argued that reply with quote is not breaking the law but other uses are, because you are doing the same thing in both cases.
 
I don't think either is breaking any laws, and as stated in the above ref. article a court would most likely side with the public interest ;)


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
So You Can
KEEP CALM AND REEF ON!!
 
Keep in mind guys/gals THEY DONT "FARM" anything! EVERYTHING is ordered from a wholesaler, fresh cut, and mailed out. They are known throughout the community as a chop shop.

Before I was aware of their reputation and very VERY seedy business practices, I ordered about $300 worth of coral. EVERY SPS was DOA or died within the first day. The "replacement" (which included $100 worth of coral, being VERY generous) WAS ALL DOA with the exception of the Whammin' Watermelons he sent. Keep in mind my $300 order consisted of 5(five) corals, 1 (one) of which was $20. The rest were more (totaling to $300). So in his mind, the $100 dollars worth of crap was sufficient to compensate me for the $300 worth of his "nice" corals.

This is what prompted me to do some research. ANd to say the least, the corals look NOTHING like the photos. That is unless you have Photoshop implanted in your retina.
 
That sounds exactly what happened to me. Was sent the good corals and all were DOA and replaced with low end corals in his view was we're fare replacements. Wish someone has warned sooner.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top