My clown fish is killing all my fish please help!

Bird mirror. Sometimes you just have to redirect their aggression for a while.

A529F954-2F1E-4ADB-982E-244E0E4C626F.jpeg
 
Buy captive bred next time. Put him on craigslist.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Do yourself a favor get rid of it. The #1 fish to give me problems are clownfish. I've been trying for months to catch a percula & it cost me an 8" fox face. Literally harrassed it to death. It aggravates my emporer a lot as well.
 
+1 on the mirror trick, that always works for me during initial introduction. Otherwise, it probably needs some territory to call its own. Once mine find their home they hardly ever venture from it. Anemones and clay flower pots work well.

I've even had a small clown goby terrorize a new clownfish, after a week things settled down. 2 weeks "should" be plenty time for a bully to change its ways.
 
Last edited:
He is being re-homed but the dilemma is it’s going to take a while to re-home him. So we’re trying to find a way he can be isolated for this period time(so he doesn’t terrorize the other fish).
Yes he is separated by a pane of acrylic I put in the tank to section off a corner for the clown.
 
Maybe it’s because he’s solo? Mine were super aggressive for a few months. They’d attack my hands as soon as my finger hit the water. Once one of them went female it all stopped. They still get a bit ornery when someone (me) vacuums the corner they made their home, but otherwise they couldn’t care less about the comings and goings of the rest of the tank now.
Unfortunately there was another clown same species both were bought as small fish and one ended up killing the other one. ( the male killed the female) * visible confusion*. This is probably a one of a kind fish. I was going to get a bicolor blenny but I despised not to risk his death. The small black molly is at the brim of death and I feel so bad that it was my fault for doing this. The angle fish is a coral beauty and it could hold its own but I then though “ how much longer can he repel the attack’s until he gets tiered”. I simply cannot risk another loss.
 
+1 on the mirror trick, that always works for me during initial introduction. Otherwise, it probably needs some territory to call its own. Once mine find their home they hardly ever venture from it. Anemones and clay flower pots work well.

I've even had a small clown goby terrorize a new clownfish, after a week things settled down. 2 weeks "should" be plenty time for a bully to change its ways.
I’ve tried the mirror trick many times I’ve left it on for weeks and as soon as it comes off he just goes right back to being a little warlord.
 
Unfortunately as beautiful as a fish he is I don’t think I should keep him anymore. I’ve for some reason always had bad luck with clown fish I think I should just get rid of him and never get a clown again. Getting rid of my clown will let me get so many more options for my reef. But thanks for giving me your advice I will surely use the ones I didn’t know about.
 
Most clowns of this strain dont exhibit this kind of behavior. I'd try another but get an anemone for them.
 
Most clowns of this strain dont exhibit this kind of behavior. I'd try another but get an anemone for them.
Yeah that could also work I don’t have an anemone.... well I do but it’s from the Atlantic Ocean so I better get a bubble tip anemone or something that a clown fish would like to host. Currently my clown fish has not hosted anything and instead has decided that the whole tank is his. My clown fish is very aggressive and a one of a kind but, I just can’t seem to get a peaceful clownfish, in all my time of keeping fish in glass boxes all my clownfish have been aggressive little bugars. Well I really enjoy that so many people would try to help a fellow reefer and I wish all of you the best of luck.
 
Unfortunately there was another clown same species both were bought as small fish and one ended up killing the other one. ( the male killed the female) * visible confusion*. This is probably a one of a kind fish. I was going to get a bicolor blenny but I despised not to risk his death. The small black molly is at the brim of death and I feel so bad that it was my fault for doing this. The angle fish is a coral beauty and it could hold its own but I then though “ how much longer can he repel the attack’s until he gets tiered”. I simply cannot risk another loss.
The clownfish that got killed by the other one was bought at a petco.
 
I think I’ve decided what to do with this fish, I’m going to take him to my LFS hopefully they will Accept a evil clown fish.getting rid of the clown will let me keep a plethora of fish and inverts that won’t get terrorized to death. Thanks again for the advice I will be sure to come back to reef 2 reef if I need help or a bit of advice. Thanks and , Happy Reefing
 
Most clowns of this strain dont exhibit this kind of behavior. I'd try another but get an anemone for them.
Yes this is the mind set I entered with when getting a clown fish. I thought that clownfish were all happy and peaceful clearly I was wrong and I realize this only now to late.
 
Breeding trap?
I hade him in it but mine doesn’t have a cover and he jumped out and onto the stand. Luckily I was there while watching TV so I put him back into the breeder box. This is what I’ve cooked up for him it’s a single pane of acrylic sectioning off a corner he’s fine for now but who knows how long until he gets out.

00237437-26C3-4AF7-9ED2-6E72BF194CD7.jpeg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top