My skimmate smells like a flower garden!

  • Thread starter Thread starter glb
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
May 12, 2013
Messages
8,141
Reaction score
3,367
Location
Miami
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a coralife nano skimmer that produces a light green skimmate that actually smells great. Am I the only one who finds this very strange?
 
Well no, if you like the smell of skunk cabbage! Either that or I need to know your secret if it actually smells like flowers. I actually gag when I dump my skimmate container down the toilet.....it reeks.....rotten eggs and then some!!!!!!!! Although my skimmate container would go for about two months, I need to dump it every two weeks or so because it stinks. It stinks up the room reminding me to dump it.


So how do you make it smell like flowers?
 
Well no, if you like the smell of skunk cabbage! Either that or I need to know your secret if it actually smells like flowers. I actually gag when I dump my skimmate container down the toilet.....it reeks.....rotten eggs and then some!!!!!!!! Although my skimmate container would go for about two months, I need to dump it every two weeks or so because it stinks. It stinks up the room reminding me to dump it.


So how do you make it smell like flowers?

I honestly have no idea. It's very diluted because as we all know, nano skimmers aren't the best. That being said, it does pull stuff out of the water daily. I only have corals right now. Maybe that's why. I'm very amused by this.
 
...........I only have corals right now........


That's got to be the reason.....coral pooh smells like flowers! :squigglemouth:


I've got some major crap machine fish (tangs), that really pooh up the water.
 
not for nothing but my mother in law thinks certain things smell like vomit... turns out she has a small brain tumor pushing on the thing that controls scent...
 
When my skimmer was breaking in the skimmate smelled good to me. After a while it was really stinky though. I am betting it's because you're skimming wet with very little protein.
 
When my skimmer was breaking in the skimmate smelled good to me. After a while it was really stinky though. I am betting it's because you're skimming wet with very little protein.

I'm sure that's it. I can't really skim dryer with this skimmer. It's only been in the tank a few weeks. If it's not skimming protein, what's the stuff it is pulling out, because it is definitely cleaning up the water a bit. It keeps my nitrates about 2-3ppm lower than before.
 
OMG lol!
 
Does it smell like this?

flowers_zpstt7b5vjh.jpg
 
Haha!
 
Today it has a citrusy aroma and good foam, much like a fine beer.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top