Need help deciding Gyre or 2 mp60s...for my situation.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Smprc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Smprc

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 26, 2017
Messages
185
Reaction score
146
Location
Upland, CA
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there I need some guidance. I have a 180g peninsula 6 x 2 x 2. Shadow overflow flanked by the returns. Question is should I place 1 gyre below the overflow or should I go with 2 power heads on each side. And if power heads is the way, mp40s or 60s? Any input would really help. Ready to pull the trigger. Thank you!
20180527_164604.jpg
 
bare bottom or sand bed?
 
Sand bed...

I agree on the price, I just didn't know if placing it under the return is advisable. Oops...I meant the overflow.
 
An mp40 will reach about 24", so that's out. The mp60 is out unless you will run the tank with no sand so you can really crank the mp60 up....otherwise it's out due to lack of reach too.

A pair of Tunze 6105's will let you do a lot more than the mp's or the single Gyre. They also offer large, non-controllable models you might want to consider.

You can also consider a Tunze Rock to hide either a 6105 or some of their other pumps "downstream" in your rock pile so 1oo% of the flow doesn't have to come all the way from the back of the tank.

This old post might help with your pump selection:
Hi Matt,

Here are some rough approximations of the flow patterns for our Stream and Nanostream powerheads. The first number is the distance (length) it will reach. The second number is the diameter of the flow towards the end of the stream (keeping in mind the diameter increases the further from the pump you measure). All numbers are in feet.

Nanostream
6015 2 x 1.5
6025 2.5 x 1.5
6045 3 x 1.5
6055 4 x 1.5
6095 3 x 3


Stream 2
6065 4 x 2
6085 5 x 2
6125 4.5-5 x 3
6105 7 x 2 (configured for narrow-flow)
6105 4.5-5 x 3 (configured for wide-flow)
6155 6 x 3
6255 7 x 3.5
 
Have you considered the QP series of pumps from Coralbox? They are programmable and if you buy two they can be set up to work in tandem (push/pull step wave). They are absolutely quiet and really move water. They are my choice for the money (QP-9 is less than $90. Reefbreeders.com sells them.
 
Really appreciate the input guys...keep 'em coming!
 
I used two tunze 6095 on my 6ft 125 gallon. The flow in the middle of the tank wasn’t too strong but wasn’t bad but I selected coral placement based off that. They did great and I love my tunze. The only problem I have with them now is I down sized to a 40 breeder and the 6095 is bulky in a tank that size. Considering a trade for two mp 10.

Ether way, I agree that tunze would be a good consideration as well.
 
An mp40 will reach about 24", so that's out. The mp60 is out unless you will run the tank with no sand so you can really crank the mp60 up....otherwise it's out due to lack of reach too.

A pair of Tunze 6105's will let you do a lot more than the mp's or the single Gyre. They also offer large, non-controllable models you might want to consider.

You can also consider a Tunze Rock to hide either a 6105 or some of their other pumps "downstream" in your rock pile so 1oo% of the flow doesn't have to come all the way from the back of the tank.

This old post might help with your pump selection:
My mp40 easily pushes across my 4 foot 150 gallon. They push up too 4500 gph. Not saying it’s the right choice but wasn’t sure about the 24 inches?
 
I used two tunze 6095 on my 6ft 125 gallon. The flow in the middle of the tank wasn’t too strong but wasn’t bad but I selected coral placement based off that. They did great and I love my tunze. The only problem I have with them now is I down sized to a 40 breeder and the 6095 is bulky in a tank that size. Considering a trade for two mp 10.

Ether way, I agree that tunze would be a good consideration as well.

Try a 6055 or maybe even 6040 instead....the size of the 6055 is the same, but the flow is much more directed so the pump is much more amenable to hiding behind rockwork out of sight. The 6040 reaches for the same goal of doing its work out of sight, but it's a new form factor of pump....more compact to begin with, but that's just a surface feature. At $140 it seems like a bargain too...

6055


Turbelle® nanostream® 6055

For aquariums from 40 to 500 liters (10.6 to 132 USgal.). Flow rate: 1,000 to about 5,500 l/h (250 ... mehr

6055.000

184.99 USD
6040

Turbelle® nanostream® 6040

For aquariums from 20 to 500 liters (5.3 to 132 USgal.) Flow rate: approx. 200 to 4,500 l/h (53 to ... mehr

6040.000

140.30 USD
 
So it looks as if 2 powerheads might be the way to go versus one gyre...ok..checking these options out.
 
My mp40 easily pushes across my 4 foot 150 gallon. They push up too 4500 gph. Not saying it’s the right choice but wasn’t sure about the 24 inches?

Talking about meaningful flow that can do something with a piece of detritus. Definitely worth defining the terms like that! :)

So, an mp40 is useful out to 24". You can feel flow with your hands up to about 36" and see things waving around some....but it's so soft. Even at 24" it's soft – so once you're at 36" it's very attenuated in anything but a totally open tank. And of course any pump can flow a (mostly) empty tank. ;)

It's about flow velocity, not GPH. And flow velocity from an mp40 is slow, as has been well documented.

Most notably here:
 
I used two tunze 6095 on my 6ft 125 gallon. The flow in the middle of the tank wasn’t too strong but wasn’t bad but I selected coral placement based off that. They did great and I love my tunze. The only problem I have with them now is I down sized to a 40 breeder and the 6095 is bulky in a tank that size. Considering a trade for two mp 10.

Ether way, I agree that tunze would be a good consideration as well.

I have a 7' long peninsula and am running gyres (one 250 on each end) running in cycles and can tell you that one of these even at 60% has no issues moving the entire water column all the way across the tank. I've had Vortechs and Tunzes before and these do not come close to the gyre in terms of the ability to get the whole water mass moving in your tank.

The reason I have two is to alternate flow patterns and to ensure one of the pumps pushes water towards the overflow. I know it is a pain and would love to keep that end of the tank unobstructed but if you only have one pump under the overflow it will push detritus away from it keeping it constantly in suspension.
 
I have a 7' long peninsula and am running gyres (one 250 on each end) running in cycles and can tell you that one of these even at 60% has no issues moving the entire water column all the way across the tank. I've had Vortechs and Tunzes before and these do not come close to the gyre in terms of the ability to get the whole water mass moving in your tank.

The reason I have two is to alternate flow patterns and to ensure one of the pumps pushes water towards the overflow. I know it is a pain and would love to keep that end of the tank unobstructed but if you only have one pump under the overflow it will push detritus away from it keeping it constantly in suspension.

Yeah that was a problem when I first set the tank up. I could see a “film” on the surface from the new sand settling and I noticed none of it was going into the overflow. I have my return loc lines pointed downwards for flow on one end of my tank and my tunze is pointed at the opposite corner of the tank to almost bounce the water back towards itself in way.. of that makes sense. It works quite well but I’d rather have two power heads than one. That’s why I’m looking to get two mp 10s in there to replace the one tunze. Picture is with flow off for reefroid feeding lol

df0a57b1e6de2b475ea1b3c57f062871.jpg
 
Man...this is so stressful...now I remember why I didn't address this when I originally purchased my equipment...so confused.

I forgot to mention that I have a closed loop running to add some flow, but that was mainly done to avoid crap build up on the "open" end. I really do not want to put anything on this end and will sacrifice putting flow sensitive corals closer to this end because at the moment I refuse to add anything on the end.
 
Man...this is so stressful...now I remember why I didn't address this when I originally purchased my equipment...so confused.

I forgot to mention that I have a closed loop running to add some flow, but that was mainly done to avoid crap build up on the "open" end. I really do not want to put anything on this end and will sacrifice putting flow sensitive corals closer to this end because at the moment I refuse to add anything on the end.

I don’t think you’d be going in the wrong direction with a gyre. A lot of people have one in large systems and are very happy with them. The issue here seems to be preference lol everyone likes different things and no one is really wrong about their preferences
 

A single pump is definitely not ideal....didn't realize you downsized the tank AND pumps. Ouch!

I think I'd definitely sell the 6o95 as one by itself isn't going to do it IMO.

If your rocks are up against the wall in the back, that's going to limit you from some of the best pump placement options. (i.e. hidden)

Check out the Turbelle® nanostream® 6045, Turbelle® nanostream® 6040 and/or Turbelle® nanostream® 6055 for that tank and see what you think of them....use at least two pumps even if they are two different pumps.

The 6045 and 6055 are similar and are the predecessors of the XXWide-flow 6095. The 6045 is non-controllable, where the other two pumps are controllable. The 6045 is one of my staple pumps for a reef – a very underestimated pump just due to lack of control. ;)
 
I forgot to mention that I have a closed loop running to add some flow

Don't stress. :) Flowing a tank should be 100% fun. Watch that video up on post #12 too...it might help with this as it demystifies some things about flow.

It does sound like it's time for some pics – more than just your drain box. ;) Can you show at least a full tank shot? But definitely show all the flow you currently have.
 
A single pump is definitely not ideal....didn't realize you downsized the tank AND pumps. Ouch!

I think I'd definitely sell the 6o95 as one by itself isn't going to do it IMO.

If your rocks are up against the wall in the back, that's going to limit you from some of the best pump placement options. (i.e. hidden)

Check out the Turbelle[emoji768] nanostream[emoji768] 6045, Turbelle[emoji768] nanostream[emoji768] 6040 and/or Turbelle[emoji768] nanostream[emoji768] 6055 for that tank and see what you think of them....use at least two pumps even if they are two different pumps.

The 6045 and 6055 are similar and are the predecessors of the XXWide-flow 6095. The 6045 is non-controllable, where the other two pumps are controllable. The 6045 is one of my staple pumps for a reef – a very underestimated pump just due to lack of control. ;)

Thanks for the info! Flow has been something I’ve been struggling with in the tank. I have another 6095 but when I added it, it was just way too much for the fine sand I had. I have added a courser sand in the past month and have no issues with it blowing around but the issue with adding the second 6095 is aesthetic lol. The rocks do not touch the wall on any side and I get a good amount of flow throughout. I’m actually buying one mp10 from a friend soon: the biggest issue is cost.

Another concern I have with changing flow right now is my bubble tip anemone. He had thankfully stayed out since I started the tank and is doing well. I could hate to see it move anywhere else and Injure itself or my other corals. I guess you could say I’ve been procrastinating on it [emoji29]
The way I have the one 6095 positioned is so that it hits the other side right in the corner and disperses the flow that way, which works better than I thought it would. A lot of my coral doesn’t require a lot of flow like SPS would and I have my tunze set to “storm” mode (run at 100%) once a day for about 5 minutes to stir things up
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top