Need pics of DIY Sumps

Both... used the table saw for the long cuts and the router for the teeth... I always use masking tap on my cuts with the table... keeps them from cracking and the cuts are clean.
 
Last edited:
Both... used the table saw for the long cuts and the router for the teeth... I always use masking tap on my cuts with the table... keeps them from cracking and the cuts are clean.

Cool thanks for answering my question. Ive been thinking about buying a router table so ill habe the best of both worlds
 
Two 75 gallon sumps I recently slapped together.

9c1bb31b-fe84-42e6-9312-2f5a2fcfa8fd_zpsa3ae6e7f.jpg




EdwinsSump.jpg
 
?



looks good man are those to strips across the top strictly for bracing/structural reasons or do they serve another purpose like to hold a light fixture or something?

Just bracing. It's so dang long with baffles only at one end that it bows out badly when filled.


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
This is mine. I'ts a 10g tank With the baffles made out of the front of a Coacola machine. They where changing them out so I got 2 of them









And this is the light for it a Orphek PR-3

 
Last edited:
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1372121443.924094.jpg

I made this for someone's mom! She loves it. It is for a 125 gallon.
The return is split 3 ways.
1. To display tank
2. To spray bar in refugium
3. Hose is for water change

Here it is packaged up for transport :) diy sump in a diy box!
Don't worry it was not mailed haha
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1372121571.278352.jpg




"Live like tomorrow already happened. Yesterday is only 3 days ahead. Today will be here soon." And a link to my tanks https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123851
 
I adapt mine: at the beginning it was a Wet - Dry with those bio-balls, but I modified the scheme: add some acrylic to put some Chaeto in the middle section, add a used media basket to put floss, Purigen and Carbon in it, opened the last section of the media basket so the water can flow through it, create a "waterfall" that throws the water over the floss and inside the media basket and add a light for the chaeto.


121020_0001.jpg


121020_0007.jpg



121020_0005.jpg
 
20L with an inner fuge tote drilled for slow flow.
Airline for to keep slow move of around chaeto macro , plus happy pods
punk-rock hotrodded Coralife skimmer and aquamaxx HOB skimmer.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 385
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 411
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 371
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 387
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 371
Great stuff guys and gals!!! Keep em coming. This is going to be a great Thread!!
 
Here's mine. 10 gallon sump under 10 gallon display. Approx. 5 gallon fuge area with return in the middle and skimmer on the other end. Light on a timer opposite the diplay tank. The 10 gallon display has 2 drains, one of which goes to the skimmer and the other the fuge. Having the return seperate the fuge and the skimmer helps protect the pods a bit better I think and keeps the skimmer section cleaner. Fuge section currently has about 5 pounds of live rock (extra from when i set tank up), couple pounds of sand and a few handfulls of nicely growing cheato full of pods. Also put a snail and a couple hermits down there to take care of the larger stuff that washes in from above.

 
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1372132451.802665.jpg

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1372132515.674792.jpg

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1372132539.284868.jpg

Here is my actual sump for my 90g
It has 4 baffles. 3 in the drain section and one blocking the pump off. I added a heater baffle too but am probably moving them to the drain area.

Its just an old 55g. Its in my dungeon. Houses the skimmer (thanks for the pump) and my chaeto which I just trimmed down to a golf ball lol.


"Live like tomorrow already happened. Yesterday is only 3 days ahead. Today will be here soon." And a link to my tanks https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123851
 
My Tangled mess..

Mines a Bit of a mess at the moment as I just Changed out a Pump & Made some Flow/ Level adjustments.. Its Basicly 2 20 Gallon Sumps I have Modified to work together to Cover My Main 180G Reef Display & a 75G Tank in the room behind the wall. Don't know how much longer the bottom sump is going to work though as I have another 70G Planted/Estuary Tank that I will be adding to the system shortly(Got the Tank already). Basicly its a Hodgepodge of Crap I've thrown together with a Homemade Aluminium heat sink fixture containing 45 3W Cree (30 10K 15 420nm) Running off a 19V Laptop PS, The 180G Drops into the Higher sump with the Bio Balls/Sponges Live rock & Chaeto under the LED's & then drops down into the top level of the second sump where it meets with the drain from the second Tank in the other room & the pump for the Skimmer. I've actually had the best luck Just letting the cavitation created by the 2 drain pipes feed the air to the skimmer. Then the water flows back along the lower front part of the sump past the Auto top off & to the 2 pumps feeding the UV sterilizer , The Chiller under the tank in the other room, & back into the tanks themselves..... I know its a little redneck but it has worked well so far. Maybe I will post some better pics once I Get a chance reorganize & Clean it up a bit.



IMG_7028.jpg
IMG_7029.jpg
IMG_7030.jpg
IMG_7031.jpg
IMG_7032.jpg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top