New Instant Ocean Salt with very low ALK!!

I tested my box of IO about 2 weeks ago w/ Red Sea test kits, Alk 7, Cal 430. Did not test Mag
 
If you get something other than "expected" parameters, post your lot # in here so people can compare.

Edited to add:
My calcium and mag numbers have been very consistent in the 400-450 and 1400-1450 range.
 
So even that level of ammonia would be consumed quickly.

That's what a public aquarium (who got the same results) told me. They also said other brands of salt are sometimes contaminated with ammonia (and other toxins.) Not a big deal probably considering the water volume of most of their displays, but what about a nano? :eek:

I've been experimenting with other salts lately and even though I don't like the company, Fritz RPM doesn't seem too bad. Just harder to find a deal on it.
 
A Steve Harvey at IO/Spectrum Brands was who I talked to and he was understanding and helpful. I sent 2 cups of salt to him to test. His email is [email protected]

Unfortunately, I did not save the lot number.
 
Trying to get rid of nitrates so did a 100g change on a 330g system with IO...

The salt was prob bought a year or 2 ago and is in boxes

Took my ALK from 8.1 to 6.39!!!!!!!!!
I took a risk and dosed ALK to get back to 8.1 after I saw (about 1-2 hr after WC) figuring getting back to "normal" was better then letting it sit around that drop....

My fault since my darn reagents for my hanna were not fresh enough/went bad, but will call IO tomorrow to see if they can do anything since I have like 4 boxes unopened from around the same time..

I THINK I got these from Petsmart online when they had a crazy sale..
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top