New Royal Gramma hanging out vertically on back wall. Is this normal?

  • Thread starter Thread starter glb
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mine is still chilling. Good thing he's two colors or I'd never know what direction he was facing. He's eating well though.
 
IMG_0864.JPG
Our royal gramma is named Maverick, because he likes to swim.....inverted. I would get you a pic, but he's already in the hanger (his cave) for the night. ;)
 
IMG_0864.JPG
Our royal gramma is named Maverick, because he likes to swim.....inverted. I would get you a pic, but he's already in the hanger (his cave) for the night. ;)
That's hilarious!!!
 
In the wild they are often upside down and sideways in caves and ledges. The males will come out to open water to spar but otherwise they are pretty skittish.
I wouldn't try to hard to target feed it. Once the Gramma has settled it will pursue food floating by.
(Males sparring in the wild.)

upload_2017-7-4_13-3-59.png
 
I need fish that actually swim around. My clowns and one pajama cardinalfish do but the rest hide out. The Midas Blenny is a trip though. What fish actually spend a lot of time swimming around?
 
They spend a lot of time out front. The ones in this picture were very small and out despite a 6' bubble blowing predator hovering above them.

2d12k4.jpg
 
Last edited:
I have four of them in my tank. Now that they are comfortable, they swim belly down in the open water with my chromis. But when they reoccupy their caves, its belly to the wall. Very comical. Its also funny that they will defend their caves against chromis, but are not bothered by the hawkfish or gobies.
 
I have four of them in my tank. Now that they are comfortable, they swim belly down in the open water with my chromis. But when they reoccupy their caves, its belly to the wall. Very comical. Its also funny that they will defend their caves against chromis, but are not bothered by the hawkfish or gobies.
How big is your tank? I thought they didn't get along with each other.
 
How big is your tank? I thought they didn't get along with each other.

I run a 110 gallon, which is an extra tall 75 gallon.

They are mis-understood :). In the wild, they naturally form harems. So what you do is group them up in QT and try to identify the males by behavior. The females will fall into a loose aggregation with some daily aggression to determine/maintain dominance over small territories; they will threaten each other with open jaws but with little to no actual fighting. The males however will all out bull fight, locked jaws and all. You can only have one male per tank. Pick the most dominate one and return the rest. As long as the remaining fish are smaller than the male, you will have a successful harem.

This is specific to Royal Grammas and I cannot speak to the other basslets. I assume they are all similar behavior but require much larger territories.
 
mine often swims upside down around a cave opening...always eyeing the rock work for any tasty treats that might roaming around LOL. Mine has great color but I got him from a LFS....had a chunk out of his tail. Guess he was put in a tank with a puffer. Anyway LFS said it would grow back....NOPE!!! So he has just 1/2 rear tail, but healthy....so we call him Stumpy! LOL
 
Mine has done this for 3 years straight . Hovering with head down and tail up.
 
Does anyone have these and a six line?

I added royal to my tank and it and the six line (smaller) kept going at it until I list the Royal. The six line would go looking for it then proceed to harass it.
 
Does anyone have these and a six line?

I added royal to my tank and it and the six line (smaller) kept going at it until I list the Royal. The six line would go looking for it then proceed to harass it.
Classic sixline behavior.
 
Beautiful fish and one of my favorites. When I got mine, he did something similar for almost 4-5 days, then found a cave and stayed there for another 3-4 days. Finally after that he felt comfortable and started coming out. Now he swims with my clowns, wrasses and tangs. Just give him a few days to settle down.
 
Yes it is normal he will find a cave soon mine has 3 cave he is in and out of all the time, Good Luck
 
They do swim around in the open once acclimated to their surroundings (usually). I have a large (3"+) male that is out and about most of the time, but does dart into his cave when threatened or startled.
 
He's still upside down next to my overflow. Silly fish. But he's eating so I know he's ok. When I got my pajama cardinal fish, they hid out for a week or two but now they're out and about.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top