New Tank: When to add Marine Pure Block?

  • Thread starter Thread starter reelss
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

reelss

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 2, 2018
Messages
322
Reaction score
140
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

I am just about ready to start cycling a new set up. I have about 100 lbs of dry rock in a 120 gallon set up. I also have a 8x8x4 Marine Pure block for my fuge. Is it ok to have the block in there during cycling? Or should it be added once the cycle is complete?
 
Ive seen alot of mention of the blocks possibly leaching aluminum.
Disclaimer : I am not claiming that to be true or false, and I have no personal experience with them.
 
This is my Triton results when I had 2 Marine Pure blocks in my sump. I can't say there was any issue with the aluminum level but then again I don't know what my tank would have looked like without them. I replaced mine with Brightwell bricks.

Screenshot (12).png
 
Are the brightwell supposed to be better or something? I was under the impression they both did kinda the same thing
 
Are the brightwell supposed to be better or something? I was under the impression they both did kinda the same thing

Brightwell actually has a couple of different bricks. One of them is impregnated with sulfur to aid in denitrification.

As far as I know, they haven't been associated with aluminum leaching.
 
100lb dry rock? Are you sure you will even need a Marine Pure block? You are already going to have so much surface area for bacteria to colonize! I guess more can't hurt, though.
 
I would love to hear more of your thoughts on this. Thanks

See, for instance, here:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/anaerobic-zone-question.351443/#post-4371981

100lb dry rock? Are you sure you will even need a Marine Pure block? You are already going to have so much surface area for bacteria to colonize! I guess more can't hurt, though.

Agreed with this. If you have that much rock, I think the only reason to add something like a marine pure is if you were unsatisfied with the way it denitrifies. And the only way you would really know that is after a slow cycle of about three months.
 
Last edited:
I would love to hear more of your thoughts on this. Thanks

Too low of nitrate is not an uncommon problem, is worse than elevated nitrate, and Marine Pure blocks may well drive it too low.

I also do not care for the potentially released aluminum.
 
Is there proof that the marine pure blocks release aluminum? I've read both sides to the story.
 
Is there proof that the marine pure blocks release aluminum? I've read both sides to the story.

Not sure what "other side" there might be aside from a manufacturer making claims they probably never even tested (and certainly never showed). Manufacturers have long fought chemical reality by making simplistic claims that aluminum oxide and other ceramics were "insoluble" so cannot release anything.

It is certainly the case that lots of people use the Marine Pure product just fine, and do not apparently have sufficient aluminum released to be a problem in their tank (maybe they export it faster than others). That is by far the most common case: no apparent problem.

But the majority of people that I have seen results for who are using it do have released aluminum when they look with an appropriate method.
 
Not sure what "other side" there might be aside from a manufacturer making claims they probably never even tested (and certainly never showed). Manufacturers have long fought chemical reality by making simplistic claims that aluminum oxide and other ceramics were "insoluble" so cannot release anything.


It seems that they did do, and show, an admittedly limited test last year. Sending their samples to triton.

http://cermedia.com/blog.php?p=142

Beyond the anecdotal size (ie not a big enough sample, something rampant in all categories of tests for reef hobby techniques and products), what do you find deficient about it?

(Full disclosure: i use an mp block, though not in the way inshoild have. That being said, if i was persuaded their claims were false, i would look to dump it)
 
It seems that they did do, and show, an admittedly limited test last year. Sending their samples to triton.

http://cermedia.com/blog.php?p=142

Beyond the anecdotal (ie not a big enough sample group, something rampant in all categories of reef techniques and products), what do you find deficient about it?

(Full disclosure: i use an mp block, though not in the way inshoild have. That being said, if i was persuaded their claims were false, i would look to dump it)

Thank you very much for posting that. I had not seen such a study.

FWIW, it is an unusual study (IMO). They started with water that was already high in aluminum. In fact, the starting aluminum concentration (67.69 ug/L) is already above the published solubility limit of aluminum in seawater (see scientific paper below). How could any more dissolve? They probably should have started with a more typical reef aquarium water, which in the absence of white media of various sorts, usually has little to no aluminum detected in Triton tests.

When you add soluble aluminum to seawater, only about 2 uM (54 ug/L) will actually remain in solution and any more will precipitate as aluminum hydroxide (see the table in the scientific paper linked below) .

Aluminum hydroxide’s solubility and the forms of dissolved aluminum’s occurrence in seawater
Oceanology April 2011, Volume 51, Issue 2, pp 231–234
https://istina.msu.ru/media/publications/article/b34/6a0/8552301/Oceanology-2011-2.pdf
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top