New to SW, Already Spending a Fortune

Wow. I remember saying that too. I don't know how those Hydras got on my tank.. lol

Haha Stuff just keeps adding up @Roid Reefs . I am contemplating delivering for uber eats as a side hustle to fund my addiction lol
Ohh the struggle is real!! lol
 
Greetings!
FW hobby for years, finally spending the big bucks on a FOWLR to start, coral later.
40b drilled and painted black.
Marco rock and fiji pink sand
Reef Octopus Darios-2 DC Return
Reef Octopus Essence 130 Skimmer
Vortech MP10 Powerhead
Skimz Up22 Sump
About to start plumbing.
Still deciding on heaters and lights. Cycling a quarantine tank now.
Since the tank is so small and I will have little evaporation, I'm going with LFS saltwater and RODI at .89 a gallon.
Input and critique welcome and appreciated....

Welcome to the salty side! Although in theory a 400 gallon tank and 40 gallon tank side by side would have the same percentage of evaporation and the same result on salinity, there is anecdotal evidence that the swings in the smaller tanks are much more impactful on inhabitants. I know you have had to spend a lot already, but you will thank yourself later for adding an ATO. If you plan to get a neptune, they have a module. Many people like the Tunze osmolator as well, it is about the same price.

Maybe someone smarter can explain why the theory of evaporation being the same impact on all tank sizes seems to be more impactful on small tanks. If they both evaporate 10% a week, the resulting salinity would theoretically be the same.

You have a great start so far, we would love to see a build thread!
 
Welcome to R2R! Upfront costs can be overwhelming, I bought much of my equipment used from craigslist, and local forums/facebook groups. Have fun, and good luck with your new project! Start a build thread with lots of pictures so we can follow along :)
 
Welcome01_zps10cad685.jpg
 
Everyone is bringing up RODI -- rightly so. I used an RO Buddie on my first saltwater tank. You can put it up and take it down easily because it screws right into the faucet. Here is the Amazon link: https://amazon.com/Aquatic-Life-Reverse-Osmosis-50-Gallon/dp/B00204CQF6/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=ro%2Bbuddie&qid=1554131263&s=gateway&sr=8-1&th=1 . It works great and is inexpensive compared to other equipment. I still have mine to use as a back up if I ever need it. Welcome to R2R! You are going to love it here.
cat hello.gif
 
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Wow, what a great start! Please continue to keep us updated with your tank with even more photos! :)
 
Welcome to R2R Fred! This community has a LOT of information and make sure to ask any questions you have!
facts-about-puffer-fish.jpg
 
Welcome To R2R!!! :)

Great Place, Great People, and TONS of Great Info!!!!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top