New to the Forum and Reefing

Welcome to R2R, Kingston! Quite a number of R2Rers from WI here and maybe you'll be able to directly connect with some of them.

tenor.gif
 
350 gallons? I have advice- plan, yes and post pics. We have a big tank and Monster tank forum for you to view and post on !!

 
Hi all, my name is Kingston. I live in Wisconsin. I am at the planning stages of starting my first saltwater/reef tank. I have had fresh water for years but have shied away from saltwater due to its complexity. I recently decided to go for it!

I just got a deal on a used 350g 96 x 30 x 30 custom aquariums tank, previously used for freshwater. Just starting to buy equipment. Any advice will be very appreciated.

@Kingston Welcome to R2R!!!
 
What problem did u have with the 30" high tank?

Hopefully Osidedude will jump in soon with an explanation of his original comment. I will add that many people struggle to aquascape and do maintenance on a 30" high tank because of their arm length and ability to reach into all parts of a taller tank. Additionally, the taller the tank the more powerful the lighting needs to be to reach through the water to achieve the same PAR at the bottom.
 
Stopped by custom aquariums office yesterday to inquire about options for my overflow. They recommended drilling two extra 2" holes beside the center hole for the H2overflows and stealth box and 2 extra 3/4 holes, one each on either end for additional return to handle the turnover.

Any other recommendations? Any experiences with the H2overflow and siphon stopper returns? Also I have never drilled a tank and don't want to practice with a tank this price with 0.62" thick glass.
 
Hopefully Osidedude will jump in soon with an explanation of his original comment. I will add that many people struggle to aquascape and do maintenance on a 30" high tank because of their arm length and ability to reach into all parts of a taller tank. Additionally, the taller the tank the more powerful the lighting needs to be to reach through the water to achieve the same PAR at the bottom.
Completely agree... That's why I was planning on getting a custom 84 x 30 x 24 tank before this one fell on lap for a fraction of the cost. Couldn't let it go.
 
Completely agree... That's why I was planning on getting a custom 84 x 30 x 24 tank before this one fell on lap for a fraction of the cost. Couldn't let it go.

No worries and I’m glad that you found a deal. My 150g is 30” high so I understand the extra “reach” tools and the extra creativity that is sometimes needed. Stay safe and be careful on the step stools (or whatever else you choose to stand on).
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top