New Video on our 800 Reef - Diatom Algae Yeast solution + first corals :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Vivid Aquariums

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 20, 2009
Messages
346
Reaction score
568
Location
Canoga Park
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When dosing yeast to combat diatom algae I use approx 1/4 teaspoon every other day for 5-7 days or until I don't see diatoms anymore. I simply add the dry yeast into a high flow area of the aquarium. While I was very careful in measuring my dosage the first time I was a little more liberal with repeat doses.

I do not know exactly why this works but it has worked well in many of our store systems, it has worked well for a wholesaler we frequent, and it has worked well for many of our customers. Nobody has had or mentioned any bad side effects to me. I'm confident enough about this method that I wouldn't think twice about adding it to our 800 reef or farm systems that house our most prized corals.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
This is going to be a great thread!

This looks like what you are using.

wtd-yeast3.jpg
 
Also Dave said 1/4 teaspoon per 400g.
 
1/4 teaspoon per 400g every other day?
 
Am going thro distoms and very intrsted in the yeast meathod.
 
Any cooks out there,who can break down 1/4t. for 400gal to a 55gal? maybe 2 granules
Lol!! I was gonna do the math later if i can find this yeast. My attempt will be to take the 1/4 tea. and weigh it with digital scales and apply reduction that way.
 
I tried this on my 30 last night. I put a pinch in. 1/4 tsp=1.232 ml then/10=.12ml which would still be for 40 gallons so I estimated ~.09ml which is not much at all. I guess we will see
 
Can someone please elaborate on what the method is please? I cannot hear sound unfortunately.
 
Ive got diatoms kicking in now bout 3.5 weeks into the cycle. Also doing the prodibio startup plan. I may try the yeast and document it daily but i wonder if the yeast and the prodibio combo will cause a problem
 
Well, this would be a great thread if we could get more information?...
 
My attempt will be to take the 1/4 tea. and weigh it with digital scales and apply reduction that way.
Note that dry yeast is highly susceptible to absorption. It's used by weight all the time in baking, so this isn't a "don't do it" note; just one to make sure to be consistent in your methods of measure and not to get the stuff wet pre-measure, obviously.

It rehydrates best in warm, turbulent water. So while I don't know the method, I could believe that it's just added into a sump or the like. Again - I DO NOT know this method, so this is just a guess...
You can store dry yeast in the freezer for a long time, btw. I bought a brick in bulk years ago and the yeast is still just as viable today.
 
I randomly feed it to my fish for years. Was told years ago it helps Zoas grow. Maybe it does or maybe it's been keeping tank good for Zoas to grow. Fish seem to love it as a snack.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top