New Video on our 800 Reef - Diatom Algae Yeast solution + first corals :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Only thing that is NOT new is the coral/fish :)

Reactor has not been turned on yet.. also have a DOS that is not in play yet also..
 
A few people have tired this on a different reef forum and everyone that has tried it stated it worked.
 
Over 20 years reefing and I have never seen a tank without at least some diatoms.
This is interesting for sure. Has me wondering if it can help with other types of algea as well.
Does anyone run a refugium or algea scrubber that has tried this? Did you notice any difference besides diatoms? Excuse me if I missed it here already.
 
This thread got hijacked! What started as questions turned into garbage. Start a thread on the 'yeast method,' as we would all love a nice controlled experiment. Vivid posted an update with something they tried and worked. Dispute it elsewhere!
 
This thread got hijacked! What started as questions turned into garbage. Start a thread on the 'yeast method,' as we would all love a nice controlled experiment. Vivid posted an update with something they tried and worked. Dispute it elsewhere!
Cool your jets @McMullen. A new thread was created. Skepticism is needed in situations like this. We don't want to see members tanks having adverse reactions to anecdotal methods...
 
following....would really love it if someone could check the math....how much yeast per 1g....I have NO idea?????PLEASE:)

1tsp equals 14.3 grams
1/4 tsp for every 400 gallons...14.3/4=3.575grams
3.575/400g=0.0089375 grams per gallon?
so my 60g would require...
0.0089375 grams x 60 = 0.53625grams every other day for 7 doses?
 
Last edited:
I think using yeast is like vodka dosing. Since yeast growth is inhibited by salt and sugar, but more so than salt than sugar, somehow it produces carbon dioxide and ethanol(organic carbon much like vodka dosing) so it reduces nitrate and phosphate
 
So I just got into a diatom bloom. So here is the deal, I will try and take pictures every day and post them. I added the same brand/type of yeast and here are the pictures before it was added.

Day 1
20160802_180405.jpg
20160802_180418.jpg
20160802_180428.jpg

Hi, i follow the topic and follow your reviews because i have diatom in my tank and I hate to see the sand, then I am considering to use yeast.

How many gallons your system is and how many grams of yeast you are using?
 
Like many I have several doubts about this method and I would like @Vivid Aquariums told us how he decided to use yeast, where he saw that this could serve and not some other product?

Maybe @Randy Holmes-Farley we could help out more thorough investigation of this topic is very interesting!!
 
I have noticed a direct coalition in algae growth and the temperature of my tank, If I get it to stay below 80.5 I have no problems. If it creeps above that the algae blooms like crazy
 
Does anyone know if using yeast will have a negative effect on Chaeto?
 
I can try dosing yeast and photos, but here's where I have a dilemma. I do not know whether for months now I have been battling diatoms or dinos.

Reasons why I think it's Dino's and not diatoms=

It's lasted for quite a few months now
Tanks been running just over a year
I run rowa phos which removes silicates and diatoms feed of silicates
I've tried a lot of methods to get rid of diatoms

Reason why I think it's diatoms and not dino=

It's never got terrible
The brown algae is just on the sand never been on the rocks
It's not stringy
Don't really ssee many bubbles on the algae
IMAG0180.jpg
IMAG0175.jpg


First I will try yeast for diatoms if that didn't work I will try metroplex for Dino's

If I'm honest it looks more like diatoms from the photos

Any opinions appreciated
 
Last edited:
Really none of the reasons you listed as to why you don't think it is Dinos matters. I'v e seen it in all those cases and a combo of them as well.

That being said from what I can see it doesn't look like Dino algae.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top