New white specks *after* prazi treatment

If it is ich (I still have trouble telling them apart when heavily afflicted), the same treatment would work. CP would work in a QT as well if you prefer that and have access to it.

You would want to hold on the metroplex and kanaplex though.
I don't know where the photo of the Anthias was or went but that looked like ich to me - the jawfish may well be velvet, actually. Either way you'll need to treat ASAP.
 
Agreed^ it could be a little of both.
 
I don't know where the photo of the Anthias was or went but that looked like ich to me - the jawfish may well be velvet, actually. Either way you'll need to treat ASAP.
Thanks everyone, much appreciate. I took the morning off and am waiting for the LFS to open at 11a :(
 
I never saw the photo of the Anthias, so not sure what is going on there. Something about this just seems horribly unusual to me. The most recent pictures look like ich. But it looks like more than just ich.

Good luck with your treatment! Getting them in a QT where there are fewer variables and the opportunity for better observation should help if it is more than just ich.
 
I never saw the photo of the Anthias, so not sure what is going on there. Something about this just seems horribly unusual to me. The most recent pictures look like ich. But it looks like more than just ich.

Good luck with your treatment! Getting them in a QT where there are fewer variables and the opportunity for better observation should help if it is more than just ich.
It's entirely possible I am losing my mind lol
 
I never saw the photo of the Anthias, so not sure what is going on there. Something about this just seems horribly unusual to me. The most recent pictures look like ich. But it looks like more than just ich.

Good luck with your treatment! Getting them in a QT where there are fewer variables and the opportunity for better observation should help if it is more than just ich.
Yeah it's strange. After the jawfish died he had two huge patches of white, maybe .75 cm x .75 cm in addition to everything else. I've been seeing on some forms talk of "BSJ Disease" meaning some sort of strange malady that affects just this type of fish....don't know if I buy it but yeah this was weird to me too...
 
That looks like either velvet (most likely) or brook (possible, due to how you mentioned his slime coat sloughing off)

If you already did a freshwater dip, I would give him an acriflavine bath (ruby reef rally) and get him into QT with copper ASAP. You won't be able to go full therapeutic today, but don't take any longer than 48 hours getting there.

Make sure you have plenty of aeration, and dose the QT with kanaplex and metroplex as well. This will address the possibility of secondary infection and treat brooklynella just in case it is brook, and not velvet.

Read this, post 2 on emergency treatment:

Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum)

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Velvet-(Amyloodinium-ocellatum).217570/

This is the best course of action for the remaining fish ^^. I'm sorry for the loss of your blue spot. they are awesome little fish.
 
That looks like either velvet (most likely) or brook (possible, due to how you mentioned his slime coat sloughing off)

If you already did a freshwater dip, I would give him an acriflavine bath (ruby reef rally) and get him into QT with copper ASAP. You won't be able to go full therapeutic today, but don't take any longer than 48 hours getting there.

Make sure you have plenty of aeration, and dose the QT with kanaplex and metroplex as well. This will address the possibility of secondary infection and treat brooklynella just in case it is brook, and not velvet.

Read this, post 2 on emergency treatment:

Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum)

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Velvet-(Amyloodinium-ocellatum).217570/
Okay, update. The treatment tank was ready around 5:30p yesterday. I gave all fish an acriflavine/malachite (API "Fungus Cure") bath for one hour at double concentration. They didn't seem tremendously stressed. I moved them to the treatment tank, added a standard initial dose of cupramine, and went to bed.

Early this morning everything was alive. The Anthias looked okay but were staying low and hidden. The tang was looking much worse and was swimming slowly in circles. It got excited at my movement for about 10 seconds, swam in circles for about 10 minutes, then died. As with the jawfish, there was an overnight transformation, slime sloughing off (although not as much), and the gills were devastated. There was also a weird "crater" on one side posterior to the gills.

Anyhow, based on research and photo comparisons, I'm pretty sure it was brook or at least included brook.

On a positive note the Anthias are doing well as far as I can tell. They moved from the bottom and swimming in the water column as they normally do.

I added a dose of Metroplex to the tank a few hours ago. Once they're eating well (I'm being positive), I'll incorporate it into their food instead. I'm also going to move away from the API "Fungus Cure" bath tomorrow night and go with continuous Acriflavine but without the Malachite. (With Reef Rally the best I could do was 2-day shipping, which is why I initially went for API Fungus Cure.)

That's the plan anyhow. Please critique at will - I've learned a lot in the last 48 hours but am still a near-total noob. Thanks again so much for the advice, insight, and sympathy. This community amazes me.
 
It does sound like brook :/ I'm sorry for your losses.

The ruby reef rally is best used as a bath in a 5 gallon bucket. Since they've already had one bath and you're treating with metroplex, I would reserve doing another bath for if the fish are struggling, labored breathing, trouble swimming, lethargic etc.

I would continue to dose the water with metroplex for at least 10 days (every 48 hours after 25% water change). Feeding it helps with internal parasites/infection, but Brook is an external parasite so dosing the water directly is best.
 
It does sound like brook :/ I'm sorry for your losses.

The ruby reef rally is best used as a bath in a 5 gallon bucket. Since they've already had one bath and you're treating with metroplex, I would reserve doing another bath for if the fish are struggling, labored breathing, trouble swimming, lethargic etc.

I would continue to dose the water with metroplex for at least 10 days (every 48 hours after 25% water change). Feeding it helps with internal parasites/infection, but Brook is an external parasite so dosing the water directly is best.
Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely continue with metro in the water at the recommended rate.

On the Acriflavine - you sound like you lean away from tank treatment. Is that because it introduces more risk than benefit, or are brief baths just relatively more effective?

As you suggested, I'm going to hold off on baths as long as things are improving.

The annoying thing is that I think this was brought by snails...the thought of quarantining snails never occurred to me - I guess I need to think more strictly about additions of any type.
 
I think it's both. The bath is slightly more concentrated (I do about a teaspoon per gallon). From what I've learned, extended use is not as effective and can muck up your water quality in time. Plus, I'm not sure how it might react with other medications.

And the snails could definitely have brought it in. The safest rule - QT everything WET in a separate, fishless coral/invert QT. I've dealt with these issues often enough to have safely landed in that level of paranoia [emoji15]
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top