Nitrate Test Kit Shoot out: NYOS Salifert RedSea API

I target under 5. Some people target much lower. Some much higher. I don't see nitrates as an issue unless there's an issue seen. Some people can run nitrates much higher like say 20ppm with out any nuisance algae growing in the display tank.

My algae seems to be getting under control I was having to clean it every 2 days from the front glass but now it's almost not noticeable except for on my rocks, will this go over time?
 
My algae seems to be getting under control I was having to clean it every 2 days from the front glass but now it's almost not noticeable except for on my rocks, will this go over time?

Maybe? I still have to clean my glass off every few days or so. Starts to get what looks like a white film on it. Quick wipe and it's cleared away.
 
Maybe? I still have to clean my glass off every few days or so. Starts to get what looks like a white film on it. Quick wipe and it's cleared away.

Yep have a lot of white film more than the algae that was there so not so bad
 
Yep have a lot of white film more than the algae that was there so not so bad

Growth on glass has never worried me and is very easy to take care of. I've always used some kind of magnetic cleaner. Currently using my favorite one so far which is the Tunze Care Magnet. If it floated it would be perfect.

I think I know what I'm going to put under the microscope next.
 
Growth on glass has never worried me and is very easy to take care of. I've always used some kind of magnetic cleaner. Currently using my favorite one so far which is the Tunze Care Magnet. If it floated it would be perfect.

I think I know what I'm going to put under the microscope next.

Are they any good because I just u a sponge
 
Guess I'm still not 100% sure what's being asked or if detected under 5 with any of the above would make a terribly large difference. If over 10 then I would look at ways to lower it regardless of how high over 10 and if there are any truly notable issues. I don't believe high nitrates are an issue unless they are present with other issues and can be reduced to eliminate that as the issue. If that make sense.

From what they have listed
API: Just specifies (NO3–) and includes SDS http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?p=downloads&id=591
SaliferT: Nitrate as nitrate ion
Nyos: No specification other then NO3
Red Sea: No specification but provides a SDS
http://5w56d28u4co20frgwagf5y18.wpe...uploads/2013/12/Nitrate-Pro-test-kit-MSDS.pdf




Welcome, I hope someone gets something out of it. I did.


A section from a letter from API:
You also need to know the method that is being used for testing. For example are they testing Nitrate (NO3) or Nitrate-nitrogen (NO3-N). It is a simple conversion. To convert Nitrate-nitrogen to Nitrate multiply by 4.43. The aquarium industry typically provides results in Nitrate. API Nitrate Test Kit provides the answer as Nitrate (NO3). Some water testing from municipalities utilize Nitrate-nitrogen. If they provided Nitrate-nitrogen the answer from their water source is 28ppm. If they provided Nitrate-nitrogen then the nitrate reading would be 123ppm.
The API nitrate test kit tests for nitrate-nitrogen and the resulting ppm number provided is already converted to Nitrate.
 
Nitrates down to 2 today after water change yesterday and using nopox for about 2 weeks
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top