No Tank Lids vs Yes Tank Lids ?

If you have filters, power heads heaters etc, which are above the water line, how do keep the fish from flying out of the tank between those and the mesh ?
Any pics guys ?

I don't have photos right now, but when I ordered my mesh tops from Artfully Acrylic, I gave them the locations where I needed cutouts for cords, the HOB overflow, etc. They made cutouts exactly where I needed them, and there are no substantial gaps where anything could jump out.
 
What has changed in our hobby from several years ago that now we have open tanks ?
I asked a owner of a very nice store about this question, and he showed me that all his for sale tanks have lids and his display only are all have lids. All his sumps have them as well. He feels there's no advantage having them open. He does have a lot of pumps adding clean air to them all.

And,...a lot less evaporation !

We have a few small tanks running and setting up a new 125, and we had to buy a dehumidifier that runs almost, all the time, set at 40%. Even with the small tanks, our house humidity is around 40%-50%. I don't know if we'll have the glass lids, but at least the mesh Lid's for jumping fish.

So, what's your thoughts ?
I recently made a custom lid for my nano 10 gallon. I bought a piece of clear acrylic sheet at my local hardware store for cheap and cut/sanded to size with a band saw. Saw a drop in my evaporation levels, peace of mind with escape artists too. No adverse effects on coral either. I was reading somewhere that clear acrylic only reduces par by like 8%, and my lights are turned down anyway due to being too strong.
 
What has changed in our hobby from several years ago that now we have open tanks ?
I asked a owner of a very nice store about this question, and he showed me that all his for sale tanks have lids and his display only are all have lids. All his sumps have them as well. He feels there's no advantage having them open. He does have a lot of pumps adding clean air to them all.

And,...a lot less evaporation !

We have a few small tanks running and setting up a new 125, and we had to buy a dehumidifier that runs almost, all the time, set at 40%. Even with the small tanks, our house humidity is around 40%-50%. I don't know if we'll have the glass lids, but at least the mesh Lid's for jumping fish.

So, what's your thoughts ?
I use lids because it’s less evaporation and keeps the fish from jumping out. It helps the sound too.
 
I recently made a custom lid for my nano 10 gallon. I bought a piece of clear acrylic sheet at my local hardware store for cheap and cut/sanded to size with a band saw.

I have done this too, for small hospital or culture tanks where I wanted to reduce evaporation. My only problem is that extruded acrylic, which is what is commonly available, absorbs moisture and over time the lids cup and warp. I make sure I can periodically turn the cover over and let it warp in the opposite direction for a while, which counters the problem.
 
I have done this too, for small hospital or culture tanks where I wanted to reduce evaporation. My only problem is that extruded acrylic, which is what is commonly available, absorbs moisture and over time the lids cup and warp. I make sure I can periodically turn the cover over and let it warp in the opposite direction for a while, which counters the problem.
That’s what I’ve been doing also ;Facepalm Other than that though,seems to be working well for me
 
Newbie answer but I’ve been using glass lids from the start on a 120G. I don’t mind cleaning the glass every now and then — usually when I do a water change. I picked glass over mesh because my lights are about 8” from the water surface in a hood. So I wanted to reduce moisture / humidity as best I could. Never really worried about loss of light since my lights don’t run at 100% anyway.
 
After losing 3 jumpers over 2 years I finally gave up and added a custom 3 piece mesh lid on my 6' tank. I take it off and spray it down maybe once every 4 months and looks brand new again.

I'm not too concerned about the reduction in par. With enough lights it becomes a non issue. I have 7 over my tank now.

20191125_163435.jpg
I like that its 3 pieces. If you don't mind me asking who made it for you bc I have a 8 foot long shallow lagoon tank and I want a 3 piece like you have. Thanks !
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top