Not sure if this is an emergency or not?

  • Thread starter Thread starter PGriff
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
I also agree that water changes have the potential to slow down the cycling process, but it also will give your live inhabitants (clownfish and shrimp) a better chance of surviving. I really think the health of your current inhabitants should be your highest priority!

They are currently doing well. The shrimp hides in that hole in the archway under the fish in the picture. lol

20190528_115607.jpg


20190528_115612.jpg
 
The purple helix says 8 weeks before you may see signs of it from that product.

I know. Even the tech guy said that when I called them. I put it in on Friday and here is a rock in my sump today.

!st pic is the sump rock
second is the display tank

I think the tank rocks have diatoms growing, from what I've read. Hard to see in the picture but there is a brown almost dirt like looking dust coating the top of the rock.

scv_15590882585935138209704259964907.jpg


20190528_115607.jpg
 
Again, this is my first tank but from what I've read that's a good thing, right? Means the end of a cycle?

This is all new to me so when something starts to grow or happen I have to start doing more research. My dog is getting jealous. lol
 
What ammonia test are you using? if API - even when its '0' it often reads higher. Again depending on what test you're using - the 'nitrate' in your tank may be false positive (i.e. due to nitrite). However, nitrite is not usually a problem in SW tanks due to the pH - but the tank is not yet completely cycled as some have said. You may want to add some Fritz Turbo 900 - or you may just wait it out....
 
What ammonia test are you using? if API - even when its '0' it often reads higher. Again depending on what test you're using - the 'nitrate' in your tank may be false positive (i.e. due to nitrite). However, nitrite is not usually a problem in SW tanks due to the pH - but the tank is not yet completely cycled as some have said. You may want to add some Fritz Turbo 900 - or you may just wait it out....

Well, I did do a WC last night, mostly to clean the sand of food and tidy it up a bit. This morning I went and got some Nitrifying bacteria from Walmart. I added a little and I'm going do Lasses suggesting on feeding and to slow it down some. I think I overfeed them at first which caused the crash. And I do have the API. I intend to upgrade all of that ASAP. Also, I'm going to do Lasses suggestion and not check the Nitrates for a bit because of the false positives. Right now everyone seems happy in the tank and its crystal clear. Just going to take it slow from here on out and get another clown and CUC in a week or so.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top