Ok guys I'm about to go insane....

If you have parameters before the sand bed vacuum to compare with the after, that might help in pinpointing what’s going on. A big stress on the animals are large fluctuations, temperature swings can definitely affect animals & bio load of the aquarium, putting everything into shock. I’ve seen incidents where the RO water being used for water changes is 6-8 degrees warmer than the aquarium water & after pouring the warmer freshly mixed RO water into the tank, 5 minutes after pour in all coral & inverts went into shock & also affecting the bio load, creating a nutrient swing as well. Double the trouble & it is summer. The ammonia is very suspect & can indicate that either too many nutrients were pulled out or too much died off from some type of shock like temperature or contamination. My 2 cents. Hope that helps & might click something. Good luck.
 
There's been discussions about those Sealab #28 blocks. Randy Holmes Farley, our reef chemist, has stated that it's unknown what other things than alkalinity and calcium is added or what contaminants might be in them. With them you have no idea how much calcium and alkalinity is dosed, even though the manufacturer says "as needed". I would discontinue them.

You do need the basic tests and test your water to understand what's happening. Respectfully.
 
Waste of money for your situation. You're not running the Triton method.

I'm sorry, we will have to agree to disagree. The OP may have water contaminants causing this issue. ICP test will reveal what's truly going on.
 
There's been discussions about those Sealab #28 blocks. Randy Holmes Farley, our reef chemist, has stated that it's unknown what other things than alkalinity and calcium is added or what contaminants might be in them. With them you have no idea how much calcium and alkalinity is dosed, even though the manufacturer says "as needed". I would discontinue them.

You do need the basic tests and test your water to understand what's happening. Respectfully.


I understand bout the testing. I'm just a dummy...
 
Waste of money for your situation. You're not running the Triton method.

ICP test isn't used in conjunction with Triton exclusively. Can be done by anyone, regardless of how they run their tank.
 
Sealab no 28
20190730_214157.jpg
20190730_214206.jpg
20190730_214211.jpg
20190730_214221.jpg
 
Sealab no 28
20190730_214157.jpg
20190730_214206.jpg
20190730_214211.jpg
20190730_214221.jpg

Yes, I'm/we are aware of what the manufacturer "says".

Good read:

 
And:

 
ICP test isn't used in conjunction with Triton exclusively. Can be done by anyone, regardless of how they run their tank.
I still think it's a waste of money in this case.

He's doing water changes and running dosing prime and using other things they can't be measured.

I'm sure ICP tests are great things other than the Triton method.

I would spend the money right now on more of the basics test kits.. even if he got back the ICP test result, what would he be able to do with it without the other standard tests in place?

As I said, in this case, ICP test would be a waste as the basic stuff haven't been taken care of yet.
 
ICP test isn't used in conjunction with Triton exclusively. Can be done by anyone, regardless of how they run their tank.
Correct. ICP testing can be used on any tank Triton method or not and tests 32 different elements from major, minor, trace elements and unwanted elements. Anyone can do an ICP test to figure out where their levels are at :)

Edit: Correction, its 36 elements not 32!
 
I still think it's a waste of money in this case.

He's doing water changes and running dosing prime and using other things they can't be measured.

I'm sure ICP tests are great things other than the Triton method.

I would spend the money right now on more of the basics test kits.. even if he got back the ICP test result, what would he be able to do with it without the other standard tests in place?

As I said, in this case, ICP test would be a waste as the basic stuff haven't been taken care of yet.

I agree with you on basic tests needed. They need to be used, but the ICP test will test for elements and contaminants that we in the hobby don't have test kits for. If the Sealab #28 blocks are dumping elements uncontrollably into the water, there is a good possibility they could be in excess. This could cause major issues. In my book, the test is worth every dime. Your mileage may vary.
 
Yes, I'm/we are aware of what the manufacturer "says".

Good read:



So.... they're not so metered. Though used to be all u needed. For some still is and some dont like the non metered bit?? If I'm understanding they may not be the bees knees but it ain't a chinese miracle cure...
 
I may have missed your salinity but Raise temp to 77-78 deg, salinity at 1.025-1.026 and if you are able to, check under fraf plug and see if any bugs are visible underneath.
Do add a few drops of Aquarium Iodine to tank. If they do not perk up, remove (again if possible) and dip in Hydrogen peroxide. Always wakes up a sleepy zoa. . .LOL
 
So.... they're not so metered. Though used to be all u needed. For some still is and some dont like the non metered bit?? If I'm understanding they may not be the bees knees but it ain't a chinese miracle cure...

I'm old school and remember when these where big back in the day. That was then and this is now. We understand a considerable more about water chemistry now and adding anything without testing isn't the best practice.[/QUOTE]
 
I may have missed your salinity but Raise temp to 77-78 deg, salinity at 1.025-1.026 and if you are able to, check under fraf plug and see if any bugs are visible underneath.
Do add a few drops of Aquarium Iodine to tank. If they do not perk up, remove (again if possible) and dip in Hydrogen peroxide. Always wakes up a sleepy zoa. . .LOL


No bugs. Some sporbid worms(?) I do add 2 drops the morning after a water change. Salinity is 1.025. What ratio for peroxide??
 
I'm old school and remember when these where big back in the day. That was then and this is now. We understand a considerable more about water chemistry now and adding anything without testing isn't the best practice.
[/QUOTE]


Ok. That's a clearer explanation. Sorry. I was borderline asleep last night.
 


Ok. That's a clearer explanation. Sorry. I was borderline asleep last night.
[/QUOTE]

It's all good.
 
Definitely thanks for y'alls help. Ima try to get mag ca all tests this payday n I'll keep updated here
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top