Palytoxin incident in the media

  • Thread starter Thread starter W1ngz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
10% bleach/water solution for a day or two, then a good RODI soak with dechlorinator.

so i decided to try to clean up a rock with these ugly things on it and while i was trying to razorblade one, it totally squirted right at my face. luckily i was wearing a painter mask thing + sunglasses + gloves or there might be a new article en route.. lol

the live rock that has a ton of them on it is going to get jackhammered instead of trying to eradicate in other ways, these things are so difficult to get rid of too. not so sure live rock is all that worth it at this point
 
Unfortunately just another case of one person trying to spoil it for the rest. Just like when i was a kid riding 3 wheelers. Banned cause idiots couldnt ride them and got killed.
 
You can get a serious palytoxin intoxication that brings you to hospital from Palythoa that is no joke. It is much, much less likely that other corals will bring you to hospital but it might happen. Corals have nettle toxins that can cause or enhance inflammation reactions and bacteria in the slime of corals may cause sepsis if getting into a wound. The latter one is more of a general risk that might happen in your garden (of course not with corals) also but there are some cases.

Palythoa in my eyes are a serious problem. If you where lucky and had Palythoas and no problems doesn´t mean next time you get some or move some you will have no problems again.

One of the most prominent German reef aquarists, Dietrich Stueber, who grew Acroporas in the early nineties, gave up somewhen in the early to mid 2000s because of repeated and more and more severe health problems with Palythoa that brought him to hospital and into critical condition. There are more cases of serious health problems with Palythoa and it is good advice to be very careful with Palythoa.
 
I always work with pallys bare handed. Sometimes I break em or frag em. I never had any problem. But I do stay away from the ultra toxic versions. My lfs fragged one once and got a squirt in his eyes. He had problems for a week or two but in the end it was all good. Now he uses glasses when fragging.
5EF858BB-EF7A-4189-9AE5-BB5B25AD31D5.jpeg
 
It’s too bad the benefits of our coral reefs couldn’t have been included in that article. Doom & gloom news media is easier to sell I guess...
D39EFCAA-F79E-44DC-9863-DA48345EE140.png

Tumey ;)
 
It’s too bad the benefits of our coral reefs couldn’t have been included in that article. Doom & gloom news media is easier to sell I guess...
Obviously it is difficult to characterize something as not being either black or white but something in between like grey or blue or red. This is especially obvious if you go to the movies. It is very hard to find a movie which characters are not either good or evil but both, sometimes rather good, sometimes rather on the bad side or most times just driven by circumstances. Somehow black and white schemes seem to help people but I don´t know with what ... maybe not to understand the world properly ...:confused:? It seems complex ...;)
 
I think they should focus more on solving the stupid people epidemic that seems to be spreading around the planet like a wildfire.

Based on the article it’s starting to sort itself out without any outside interference [emoji1]

I simply don’t understand how people managed to get poisoned by these things. When I started out as a stupid 13 year old 17 years ago I handled these things in the most reckless manner possible and never even had the slightest issue haha
 
I simply don’t understand how people managed to get poisoned by these things. When I started out as a stupid 13 year old 17 years ago I handled these things in the most reckless manner possible and never even had the slightest issue haha

Not all individuals of Palythoa seem to be toxic to the same degree even if they are looking the same. Maybe the water conditions can render individuals to become more toxic. Maybe there is something like sensitization. We don´t know. Some reef aquarists get serious health problems others state they have no problems with Palythoa at all. Again others state they have no problems with Palythoa but thinking back they notice that they frequently had flu like symptoms that might have been caused by Palytoxin and decide to be more careful in the future.
 
Every time I get ready to sell a batch of Purple Death Zoas.....Articles like this come out. I'll never get rid of these. :p
 
Not sure what was posted in the comments but they were so triggered they closed the comments and I can't even view them.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top