Palytoxin released into air by protein skimmer??

Could a protein skimmer release palytoxins from zoanthids into the air?

  • Yes

    Votes: 14 15.6%
  • No

    Votes: 77 85.6%

  • Total voters
    90

Andrew Sizemore

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 1, 2018
Messages
17
Reaction score
7
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got some zoanthids yesterday I've been iffy about them even before I got them but they were free so hey who wouldn't turn down a free bunch of corals. Anyway I was reading up on palytoxins and I'm terrified now cause I read on a forum that the toxins could potentially be released into the air via a protein skimmer is this true? Would they have to be stressed first? Should I throw them out? If anyone could put my mind at ease that would be nice.
p.s. on a side note I'm now afraid to do work in the tank is this a necessary reaction or should I not be afraid to put my hands in and work with my other corals?
 
I'm not an expert, but from what I have read you would have to be in there scrubbing on them, boiling them, or some other form of mutilation to cause them to release toxins. If you have a health tank, and you don't mess them them, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
 
The threat of palyotoxin poisoning (while the threat is there) is widely thrown out of proportion. Practically all instances of people getting palytoxin poisoning was from fragging, or boiling rock that has polyps on it. I've had zoas my entire reefing career and never once ran into an issue. But I put them in their spot, and leave them alone. Unless you're fragging, or heavily irritating them or cutting or boiling them, you'll be fine.
 
+1
The threat of palyotoxin poisoning (while the threat is there) is widely thrown out of proportion. Practically all instances of people getting palytoxin poisoning was from fragging, or boiling rock that has polyps on it. I've had zoas my entire reefing career and never once ran into an issue. But I put them in their spot, and leave them alone. Unless you're fragging, or heavily irritating them or cutting or boiling them, you'll be fine.
 
Yes there's a risk of palytoxin getting released into the tank. It is certainly possible that the skimmer may vent it, yet very unlikely to happen. You have to really manhandle them to get them to expel the toxin. I have handled them fairly roughly, brushed them to remove ZoaPox during treatments, dropped them on the floor when tripping over my cat, accidentally dropped rocks on them when moving things around etc. and have not had a single issue. As long as you keep the lid on the skimmer, have some sort of chemical filtration running (carbon, purigen etc), wear gloves when handling them especially if you have a cut and use a rubber band to keep tank water out of it, and don't boil or mutilate them you will be fine.

The trick to easy fragging on corals known to contain palytoxin is to keep them on the sand bed. Let them grow out over the sand and away from the base rock or plug. When ready to frag, pull them up and put them in a Tupperware container with tank water and some iodine. Do the cutting with them submerged and let them sit in there for a few minutes after to settle down then transfer the cutting to a new plug or rock, rinse and replace back into the tank. Then dispose of the waste water and wash the container with a mild bleach solution.

I have done this multiple times with zoas and palys, not once have I ever had an issue. As long as you take precautions with them you will be fine.
 
What about putting my bare hand in the tank

Next to no risk with this. It seems like my hand is in one of my tanks on a daily basis. If you have to handle them, wear a glove, and always wash your hands very very well as soon as you are done and don't touch anything before then.
 
I'm pretty sure I read in the reef chemistry forum that running activated carbon will remove 99% of any palytoxin that gets released into the water. So between that and dilution, you're probably pretty safe in normal circumstances. So if you're really worried about it you might want to consider running carbon.
 
What about putting my bare hand in the tank
Best practice is to wear rubber, non powdered gloves. This is something that I personally DO NOT practice even though I should, but again no problems unless you're deliberately messing with the zoas. I move mine around and touch them and its not an issue, unless you really upset them to the point where they feel the need to defend themselves. But gloves are best practice.
 
Lol they weren't on plugs they were free floating in the lfs and they lady handled them without gloves I'm just still worried. I kinda wanna reach in there and throw them out
 
Lol they weren't on plugs they were free floating in the lfs and they lady handled them without gloves I'm just still worried. I kinda wanna reach in there and throw them out

Just leave 'em be. The vast majority of them are perfectly safe, and those that do even when handled rarely cause an issue. 9/10 times you hear about someone getting poisoned was due to them doing something they shouldn't have been doing in the first place. Boiling rock indoors, wiping their their face with their unwashed hand after messing with the tank etc. Just treat them well and everything will be fine.
 
Lol they weren't on plugs they were free floating in the lfs and they lady handled them without gloves I'm just still worried. I kinda wanna reach in there and throw them out

throw them out lol? come on... i think people tend to over react when it comes to zoas and palys. ive had zoas/palys for 10 plus years and NEVER had an issue. Like EVERYONE has stated already as long as you practice safe handling youll be fine. dont let others peoples foolishness discourage you from some of the most beautiful corals we can keep in our tanks. DONT THROW THEM OUT, send them to me if u dont want them lol
 
I have literally hundreds of colonies of Zoa’s and paly’s I even massacre weed Paly’s on a regulate basis. No way man. I Frag them handle without any protection ever. Over 20 years. Daily. Not one issue. Even have had paly’s Spit streams in my face many times. Not one single issue ever
 
The palytoxin phobia seems to be contagious!

Don't chew on your zoas, don't cook them (or your rock), don't handle your palys and then lick your fingers....and you will be fine. :D:D:D
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top