Perry's 90 Gallon Acro Dominant Bommie

  • Thread starter Thread starter Perry
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hi Sam, and thank you so much for the compliment! That my friend was the Exquistor Acro, it was probably the best rendition of the color teal, that my has captured in a coral. I treated as a nuisance acro, overlooking it's rarity in color, and as such, it grew like a weed, lol.
You say it "was".
Does this mean it's a gonner?

You know anywhere I could get my hands on one?
 
You say it "was".
Does this mean it's a gonner?

You know anywhere I could get my hands on one?

Everything from the 120 was acquired by my LFS at the time, and they are no longer in biz. I thought it was pretty common, guess I was wrong, lol. I would imagine some LFS in Central FL has to have in their collection. I would bet TSA or WWC has in their farm, it's an easily explained acro, given only crazy teal color. This was 4 or 5 years ago, so man wish I had more info for you. But, I can always ask around, which I will ;)
 
A few top down pics today that looked decent.
20210510_164223.jpg

20210510_164304.jpg

20210510_164449.jpg

20210510_164546.jpg

20210510_164623.jpg

20210510_164757.jpg

20210510_165035.jpg

20210510_165203.jpg
 
Last edited:
Tank looks great Perry! What are you using to take your top down photos?

Tim,
Thank you very much! For top downs, I have a top down view box, use my Samsung 9, in pro-mode, white balance adjustment to 10k. I slightly post edit, mainly adding brightness, slight saturation adjustments, and slight contrast adjustments. I don't really mess around with exposure. This done to best re-create what my eyes see in top down box. So, what the pics show is as close as I can get to what my corals look like under full spectrum :)
 
So scratch all that you see on previous page regarding biomedia, and carbon/bacteria dosing. It appears with my bioload, newness of the system, and oversized protein skimmer, that I am running low nutrient without the need for enhanced export. With 11 fish, and heavy feeding of frozen, I am 0.00 on P04, and 2.5N03. I am now doing the opposite and dosing Seachem phosphorus, and BW Nitro daily. I dosed 20ml yesterday of phosphorus, and still bottmed out at 0.00. Today's dose is 30 ml. We shall see tomorrow :)
This one is UFREEFER SnowyD, probably a horrida, but getting some growth tips sprouting at the base.
20210516_094757.jpg


Lulu's Blue Milli is bursting with growth, and just love them millis :)
20210516_094718.jpg


Fox Flame finally waking up after a long nap, this is my most grumpy coral.
20210516_094830.jpg


This piece is totally different, but had potential, Lavender on lime, definitely maturing
20210516_094908.jpg


Pink Cadillac given to me as a stn piece, had to cut it up and glue 3 separate pieces to mimick a small colony, but it's still healing and coloring
20210516_095703.jpg


This piece also given to me recently as a rescue, and it's showing yellow, really diggin this one :)
20210516_095240.jpg


Cherry bomb moved lower, as it was getting too much light, seeing the teal base darken just a bit.
20210516_095311.jpg


Red Devil Nasuta stalled out, but appears to be waking up, it's a grumpy coral too
20210516_095053.jpg


These are sime pieces that I am watching closely, of course I can post my happiest most colorful corals, but that gets boring ;)
 
Another good looking system Perry!!
 
Bommie update:
As of late, I have taken a step back, and decided to run my system basic. So I thought to update on husbandry.
* discontinued use of bac/ carbon source dosing
* pulled AF Life Bio Fil biomedia as it was too effective
* Protein skimmer and passive carbon
* Still using KZ Flatworm Stop and KZ Coral Booster
* Kalkwasser on doser fully saturated @ 250ml per day currently, allowing a slow rise daily, maintaining alk @7.5dkh
* drawing air from outside home to Protein skimmer, effects not really measured yet

My system has finally stabilized since the transfer, had to dose phosphorus and nitrate for a few weeks, and now believe in maintaining nutrients, not running ULNS, instead, keeping P04 between. 08-.12ppm, and holding steady at 5ppm N03.
I also replaced one Coral + t5 bulb to a Hamilton 6500k bulb. Right now, the emphasis is growth, and I am getting plenty. Time to get the Bommie looking natural with large full colonies :)
Finally, the custom lid showed up last week, so time to get some fish in the tank :)
20210523_080600.jpg
 
A few random pics of the bommie today, and yes I have a aptasia plan, more focused on things getting settled. Next, adding a CBB. Already have a baby ORA File Fish, so we'll see what happens, if not, nuclear approach, lol.
20210530_095946.jpg

20210530_095832.jpg

20210530_095747.jpg
 
A few random pics of the bommie today, and yes I have a aptasia plan, more focused on things getting settled. Next, adding a CBB. Already have a baby ORA File Fish, so we'll see what happens, if not, nuclear approach, lol.
20210530_095946.jpg

20210530_095832.jpg

20210530_095747.jpg
Nice tank!

Queen Regal will also eat aiptasia and add color / pop.

I've had multiple file fishes but die after the aiptaisas are gone.
 
Tank is looking full Perry! Those filefishes have such a great personality. I loved mine minus her expensive taste for euphyllias.
 
Nice tank!

Queen Regal will also eat aiptasia and add color / pop.

I've had multiple file fishes but die after the aiptaisas are gone.

Thank you!
I would love a regal, just concerned about tank size. I wanted the ORA File Fish specifically, so we'll see what happens, it's tiny, more concerned with aptasia eating it, lol. Was thinking a CBB, always had good luck with them eating aptasia, but sometimes tricky to convert to frozen.
 
Tank is looking full Perry! Those filefishes have such a great personality. I loved mine minus her expensive taste for euphyllias.

Tim, there is something to the ph thing, but fresh air was not working, so back to scrubber. I will do a growth documentation in August, that's pretty much 1 year mark on acquisition of frags. Some growth I am getting is insane! I wouldn't say full, but hopefully in another year, we shall see a nice natural looking acro bommie :)
 
As mentioned, growth taking off, but a nice color shift from removing a coral + bulb, and replacing with a Hamilton 6500k bulb. A few random top downs today :)

20210531_102229.jpg


20210531_102135.jpg


20210531_101858.jpg


20210531_103106.jpg


20210531_102506.jpg
The 6500k bulb is awesome for color rendition! These corals are looking great! Well done! :D
 
The 6500k bulb is awesome for color rendition! These corals are looking great! Well done! :D

Brandon,
Thanks for the kind words :) Things have started to kick into gear after a few weeks of the system settling in. I am enjoying the simplicity of this tank. Nothing fancy here. Passive carbon, skimmer, t5 lights, kalkwasser on a doser, C02 scrubber feed fish heavy frozen once per day.
 
Brandon,
Thanks for the kind words :) Things have started to kick into gear after a few weeks of the system settling in. I am enjoying the simplicity of this tank. Nothing fancy here. Passive carbon, skimmer, t5 lights, kalkwasser on a doser, C02 scrubber feed fish heavy frozen once per day.
That sounds like a winning recipe to me!
 
As mentioned, growth taking off, but a nice color shift from removing a coral + bulb, and replacing with a Hamilton 6500k bulb. A few random top downs today :)

20210531_102229.jpg


20210531_102135.jpg


20210531_101858.jpg


20210531_103106.jpg


20210531_102506.jpg

Looking good Perry! I am thinking off adding a 6500k bulb myself. Directly in the middle. Have you tried the Giesemann 6500k?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top