Protein Skimmer Recommendations for Biocube 32?

I am not sure what you mean?? The skimmer goes in the first chamber.... there has been NO filtration yet.... the InTank media rack and other rack for macro algae or whatever you want is in the second chamber..... the skimmer isn’t after any filtration.... it’s before it..:: no matter which skimmer you use... or if you do their mod for their suggested skimmer..... in no video I ever saw from them suggested putting the skimmer after the filtration..... maybe you are mixed up or confused??
Intake used to have a video of the media rack and how to install a tunze next to it in chamber 2
 
Intake used to have a video of the media rack and how to install a tunze next to it in chamber 2
Yes I have seen said video but that’s not where it goes... the media rack has to be the first thing in chamber 2 or else the water would never enter the rack properly (from the top down)
Their video is still out there you can find it all over the place....
 
Again.... pages back.... I posted the solution 100%....
The crappy Coralife skimmer that fits in there perfectly but is again, VERY crappy, is easily fixed....
If you just replace the original pump with the tetra whisper 10g..... it REALLY makes it work like 100 x better....

And again, as I also said earlier.... it’s a 32g tank.... of you do your proper water changes there is absolutely no need for a skimmer in a tank this small....
I also do not get why you would want to void your warranty on a brand new tank by modifying it JUST for a skimmer when one is not even needed.... and if you have had the tank long enough to where there is no warranty left (it’s 1 year I believe where I am)
then you obviously have been keeping everything good enough without one so why bother adding it now??!!
 
Last edited:
I had a couple that I tried to make work for my 32 but I wouldn't give up my refugium etc. Basically none of them worked period unless you do a hood mod or hang it off the back. I tried it in chamber one but even their own brand was terrible after it was placed how they specified. I kind of gave up. We have a destructo-kiddo and if that lid came off I'm not sure how long the fish would last living next to constantly sinking toy trucks. That's just my experience sorry it's not more helpful. Best of luck
 
I am looking to add a new skimmer after my tank finishes cycling but am not familiar with popular systems and equipment and the maintenance just yet, but I am more than willing to do the research and ask around. Anyone have any suggestions? Nothing to fancy preferably, just something that can fit in the Biocube 32's first chamber and is actually efficient (I've heard some skepticism on the Biocubes Skimmers which is why I'm looking for something more optimal). Many thanks!
I have a Aqua Gaget BioSkim DC model and fit perfectly in my 16 gallon bio Cube and did an amazing job by keeping the tank clean. It's made by innovative Marine and was right around $100 but worth every penny in my opinion.
 
I do not own a 32 gallon so not sure what the size of the chambers are but I did own two 29 gallon bio cubes. I did not use their skimmer and in fact ran them without for the longest time. Most if not all after market skimmers would require hood modifications or something there along the lines. If you do not have a hood and the tank is open then you could use a CPR Bak Pak.

I converted one of the 29 gallons into a hoodless tank and put my Bak Pak in the 2nd chamber. Worked very well. Later used the same skimmer on a 40 breeder for about 3 years only recently taking it off line when I upgraded to a 210 gallon. It will stay with the 40 once I set it up for a isolation or emergency type tank. Not sure what other brands are out there but I'm sure others will chime in.
20201210_132645.jpg
 
I have a Aqua Gaget BioSkim DC model and fit perfectly in my 16 gallon bio Cube and did an amazing job by keeping the tank clean. It's made by innovative Marine and was right around $100 but worth every penny in my opinion.
Did it fit without modifying the lid?
 
I am looking to add a new skimmer after my tank finishes cycling but am not familiar with popular systems and equipment and the maintenance just yet, but I am more than willing to do the research and ask around. Anyone have any suggestions? Nothing to fancy preferably, just something that can fit in the Biocube 32's first chamber and is actually efficient (I've heard some skepticism on the Biocubes Skimmers which is why I'm looking for something more optimal). Many thanks!
is a good one. You can change the size. I'm new to reef2reef and I am starting up my tank for the first time in a while so inexperienced people like me need the most help so please follow me and answer my recent post :) I hope everything works out
 
Skimmers on nano tanks are pretty much a waste of money. They are inefficient, poorly designed, and tend to add micro bubbles. They will help with pH which is nice but aside from that you can have all the nutrient export you need from water changes.

Tldr: send me the $150 you'll spend on a skimmer because it's just about as good as buying the skimmer, except if you DM me I'll actually answer your questions
I’m waiting on all my equipment and currently have the biocube 32 (not setup). I have decided to forego the skimmer but would like to know more about your process without it. How often do you do water changes? What percentage do you change out? Is there anything else you do to make sure skimmerless life goes as planned?
 
Again.... pages back.... I posted the solution 100%....
The crappy Coralife skimmer that fits in there perfectly but is again, VERY crappy, is easily fixed....
If you just replace the original pump with the tetra whisper 10g..... it REALLY makes it work like 100 x better....

And again, as I also said earlier.... it’s a 32g tank.... of you do your proper water changes there is absolutely no need for a skimmer in a tank this small....
I also do not get why you would want to void your warranty on a brand new tank by modifying it JUST for a skimmer when one is not even needed.... and if you have had the tank long enough to where there is no warranty left (it’s 1 year I believe where I am)
then you obviously have been keeping everything good enough without one so why bother adding it now??!!
Is the tetra whisper trick for the old air stone version or the new v2 version?
 
The hydor slim skim nano also works. I use it and it kicks b u t t. I would recomend

I use it without a lid but it fits with the coralife 32 cube lid on.
Which chamber did you run the skimmer in?
 
I have bigger tanks now, but on my biocube 32. I use https://www.chewy.com/aquatic-life-protein-mini-skimmer-30/dp/146150?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Aquatic Life&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpbb_8qyI4AIVkMDACh3iYQ9qEAQYAyABEgL7AvD_BwE
It really is insanely good. I tried tunze, RO, everything before and this actually works best for the biocube IMO.

And the price is right, can’t beat that.

I realize this post is old but wanted to say thanks for the link. They have $20 off and free shipping for new accounts so that skimmer cost me $32 after taxes and all.
 
I have bigger tanks now, but on my biocube 32. I use https://www.chewy.com/aquatic-life-protein-mini-skimmer-30/dp/146150?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Aquatic Life&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpbb_8qyI4AIVkMDACh3iYQ9qEAQYAyABEgL7AvD_BwE
It really is insanely good. I tried tunze, RO, everything before and this actually works best for the biocube IMO.

And the price is right, can’t beat that.
Did you have to modify the hood?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top