Question about power heads in my Nuvo 20

NakiFantaki

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 4, 2016
Messages
485
Reaction score
188
Location
Las Vegas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks! I'm new here as I have just jumped into the hobby. I have had freshwater tanks all my life and now have the ability to start a saltwater tank. I have done tons of research and reading in the past few months and I'm almost ready to setup and fill my tank. I scored an almost brand new IM Nuvo 20 last week for 125 bucks and I'm in the process of buying some small upgrades before it's set up time. I do however have some questions regarding powerheads and flow..

I'm not planning to upgrade the stock return pump so I know I need some powerheads. I am pretty set on the hydor 425. My question.. do I need 2 of these? Or will one output enough flow? Also I am looking at the upgraded spin stream nozzles that connect to the overflows... they are about 23 bucks each.. are they worth it? Ideally I would like to put in the hydor and 2 of these spin stream nozzles. What do you guys think? Will it perform well enough?
As far as my load in the future I plan on a set of clowns and some soft corals and zoas. Maybe another few fish down the line.
Thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
 
Hi folks! I'm new here as I have just jumped into the hobby. I have had freshwater tanks all my life and now have the ability to start a saltwater tank. I have done tons of research and reading in the past few months and I'm almost ready to setup and fill my tank. I scored an almost brand new IM Nuvo 20 last week for 125 bucks and I'm in the process of buying some small upgrades before it's set up time. I do however have some questions regarding powerheads and flow..

I'm not planning to upgrade the stock return pump so I know I need some powerheads. I am pretty set on the hydor 425. My question.. do I need 2 of these? Or will one output enough flow? Also I am looking at the upgraded spin stream nozzles that connect to the overflows... they are about 23 bucks each.. are they worth it? Ideally I would like to put in the hydor and 2 of these spin stream nozzles. What do you guys think? Will it perform well enough?
As far as my load in the future I plan on a set of clowns and some soft corals and zoas. Maybe another few fish down the line.
Thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
Spin streams need upgraded return pump and I would stay away from hydor powerheads. IME. With an upgraded return pump and spinstreams you could skip a powerhead.
 
I use to run a Mp10 with the 2 spin streams but I have since removed it from my softies/anemones tank, the 2 spin streams were pretty sufficient. I would recommend upgrading the pump though if you plan on 2 spin streams. They reduce the overall GPH to produce that spinning effect.
 
While those MP10s are awesome - my wife might kill me if I spend that much cash on a pump.. I'm thinking later in time when she falls in love with my reef I could get one but for now I gotta try and keep the cost down as much as possible.

If I skipped the spin streams... would I need one or 2 of those powerheads?
 
While those MP10s are awesome - my wife might kill me if I spend that much cash on a pump.. I'm thinking later in time when she falls in love with my reef I could get one but for now I gotta try and keep the cost down as much as possible.

If I skipped the spin streams... would I need one or 2 of those powerheads?
One DC pump could run between $60-$80.

You wouldn't ever need more than 1 powerhead in a 20g. Personally I wouldn't do a powerhead in there. You were on the right track with spinstreams and DC pump.

MJ1200 isn't enough and it's not adjustable.
 
Okay. That's what I will do then. Less stuff to plug in anyways. Lol. Thanks for your help!
Wondering if that pump will fit in the back compartment of my tank though...
 
Okay. That's what I will do then. Less stuff to plug in anyways. Lol. Thanks for your help!
Wondering if that pump will fit in the back compartment of my tank though...
Pull out the measuring tape. Pump looks pretty small to me.

10 x 5.5 x8.5cm
 
Here's a pic
IMG_2139.JPG
 
You'll need to grab a Y fitting and maybe extra tubing for the "just in case" moments.
 
Oops im sorry you dont that stuff lol....

My jbj all in one came with two separate pumps... My bad.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top