Raising Dendronephthya and Scleronephthya, next step, pt1

Well at the very least Nephthea is hardy and pretty.
 
Sneak peek. Waiting on dendronephthya. I'll show what else I got. As soon as they open. @Rispa , I got two more of those red corals you like. Their not in the best condition. We'll see if they open.

20180722_180139.jpg
 
Sneak peek. Waiting on dendronephthya. I'll show what else I got. As soon as they open. @Rispa , I got two more of those red corals you like. Their not in the best condition. We'll see if they open.

20180722_180139.jpg
Ooh pretty. There is a store selling frags of red with white polyp gorgonion. I'm leaning more and more towards getting one.
 
Ooh pretty. There is a store selling frags of red with white polyp gorgonion. I'm leaning more and more towards getting one.
Get the frag. Should be easy, care for.
I'm waiting for a big red gorgonian I picked up, to open up. Big. Hope it opens.
 
Here comes an update on our Scleronephthyas. Hope it's okey that I write this in your thread! :)

Tank size - 500 litres
Turnover volume(water from a large ~10m3 reef tank) - 200 l/h
Feeding every day(spread over the day):
1000ml live phytoplankton (Nanno probably).
200ml live Synechococcus Cyanobacteria
15ml EasyBooster (4 algae, concentrate)
25 ml ethanol (5%)
Frozen artemia and mysis to the fish, about a teaspoon a day of each.

The Scleronephthya, five colonies, have been in the tank for 1 month and 6 days.
Haven't moved them in a month.

Still alive so far. They expand and retract over the light hours. Can't see clearly if they have grown or shrunken. Maybe some of the "arms" are a little thinner, but not on all of them. The one on the bottom is pretty fat.
So overall they look well.

Water parameters:
NO3 - 5ppm
PO4 - 0,02 ppm
KH - 7,5 dKH
All parameters green on the last Triton ICP test.
Temp - 26,5-27,5 C

IMG_5891.JPG
IMG_5862.JPG
IMG_5861.JPG
So pretty....
 
Get the frag. Should be easy, care for.
I'm waiting for a big red gorgonian I picked up, to open up. Big. Hope it opens.
I hope it opens soon. I've always loved them, but was too afraid to try them before. Since the sun coral and dendro are so happy with their daily feedings I think it's worth a try even if it turns out to be nps By the way do you have any idea how to tell if it's nps or not?
 
I hope it opens soon. I've always loved them, but was too afraid to try them before. Since the sun coral and dendro are so happy with their daily feedings I think it's worth a try even if it turns out to be nps By the way do you have any idea how to tell if it's nps or not?
Are you asking about gorgonians?
 
@Sallstrom, I think I have Nephthea. Shine light do better. Looks like Scleronephthya, but aren't.
Thanks @Sallstrom, why didn't you say something. Your the Doctor of the sea. Just get my hopes up. Thinking I'm making progress. And bam, their not Scleronephthya. Bummer


I'm kidding about you not saying anything.
 
@Sallstrom, I think I have Nephthea. Shine light do better. Looks like Scleronephthya, but aren't.
Thanks @Sallstrom, why didn't you say something. Your the Doctor of the sea. Just get my hopes up. Thinking I'm making progress. And bam, their not Scleronephthya. Bummer


I'm kidding about you not saying anything.

Sorry! I'm more into stony corals so ID softies are not my strong side ;Bucktooth
 
sounds like a cool project a kudos to you good sir for trying maybe you will find the keys to sucess with these guys. one of my fav. corals for sure but never tried them...

if your really bumber about the jap. pink tree I have a good home for it! ;)
 
What do you think about a drip system at night that drips water from a phtyo/pod mix into the tank. At the same time filters are off at night and only airstone/water circulation paraphernalia is running.
 
What do you think about a drip system at night that drips water from a phtyo/pod mix into the tank. At the same time filters are off at night and only airstone/water circulation paraphernalia is running.
For your tank?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top