Real reef rock worth it? Or BRS reef saver

I aquascaped with real reef rock after watching the youngil moon aquascape videos that i used as inspiration.I love it.I used alot of shelf rock to give me flat surfaces to mount frags and built up height w marco rocks rods and reef cement

Link to that video?
 
Here's my BRS reef saver. Day 1 and 4th month birthday... To me buying painted rock is just not worth the extra expense, when it will be well on it's way to being covered in purple stuff in a few months anyway...

wp_20160628_002-jpg.72582

wp_20161028_001-jpg.416093
 
Working on setting up my new tank, and I am pretty interested in Pukani.
I like the fact that it is less dense and more porous. Less weight fills more volume and displaces less water.

80-100lbs will probably be enough for my 4ft 120gal from what I gather.
 
Wow, those are like 'perfect' shapes and sizes if you know what I mean... Can't go wrong there!!
Yes, it worked out great. Very porous rock with awesome shapes, nooks, crannies. Best part is I knew what sizes I wanted, Left that info in the message box when ordering, and John at reef cleaners hand picked exactly what I wanted. Not sure you can get that kind of service anywhere else ordering online.
 
I added a couple of real reef artificial rock to my macroalgae tank and it has worked nicely. I mostly just bought it for the branching pieces, the purple was just a plus. I have noticed that some of the purple has come off or has faded but Im not aware of any ill effects. Now about the BRS rock I have bought a few different types from them and I always had to soak them for a while to get the phosphates out.
 
Here's my BRS reef saver. Day 1 and 4th month birthday... To me buying painted rock is just not worth the extra expense, when it will be well on it's way to being covered in purple stuff in a few months anyway...

wp_20160628_002-jpg.72582

wp_20161028_001-jpg.416093

Sorry to bring up an old post here, but I'm thinking of going with Reef Saver rock and I was wondering if you had any long term problems with the Reef Saver?
Nice looking tank by the way
 
You can get the coraline algae to grow rather quickly. Plus if not then just take some from someone's tank and seed your live rock.
 
The coraline isn't my concern so much, what I'm more worried about is a nutrient dump or the like down the road. I want to avoid Live rock or dry live rock if possible, but I've read that real dry rock like the reef saver can cause phosphate leeching down the road. I don't mind doing a cure to remove the initial phospates and such but I dont want to set myself up for problems down the road once the tank is established
 
Sorry to bring up an old post here, but I'm thinking of going with Reef Saver rock and I was wondering if you had any long term problems with the Reef Saver?
Nice looking tank by the way
Had the rock going for right at two years or so and zero issues so far.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top