Releasing Yellow Tangs into the wild....sigh....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although personally I will admit that if we are catching 400,000 per year in the Hawaii islands alone and there are NOT millions and millions living in homes right now then that means a LOT of yellow tangs are dying and I for one would be in favor of drastically restricting the catch and raising the price so people would take the care and responsibility of keeping marine fish a little more seriously. Anyways, just one guys thoughts.


Joe
 
Although personally I will admit that if we are catching 400,000 per year in the Hawaii islands alone and there are NOT millions and millions living in homes right now then that means a LOT of yellow tangs are dying and I for one would be in favor of drastically restricting the catch and raising the price so people would take the care and responsibility of keeping marine fish a little more seriously. Anyways, just one guys thoughts.


Joe

Thanks for your thoughts Joe.

Fish die... Both in the wild and in our tanks. There is no denying that. Though i have nothing to back it up, but i can assume more die naturally in the ocean than in our tanks. And i also agree that people should take the care and responsibility of keeping marine fish a little more seriously.

I also wanted to note, the list you posted is only a proposed list... It is not in effect.

Code:
§13-95-5

“Manini” means any fish known as Acanthurus
triostegus sandvicensis or any recognized synonym.

§13-95-5 Manini. It shall be unlawful for any
person to take, possess, or sell any manini less than
five inches in length. [*** 12/03/98; am Dec 19 2002]
(Auth: HRS §187A-5) (Imp: HRS §187A-5)

Aloha and Mahalo again for you thoughts.

Kevin
 
Thanks for your thoughts Joe.

Fish die... Both in the wild and in our tanks. There is no denying that. Though i have nothing to back it up, but i can assume more die naturally in the ocean than in our tanks. And i also agree that people should take the care and responsibility of keeping marine fish a little more seriously.


Kevin



While that may be true but like most animals they live longer in captivity.
 
Definitely not meant as being angry and argumentative only as an educated discussion among friends, but I would respond with 2 points:

1) I believe the list was approved and is now the rule, but I am not certain that it applies to all areas of the Hawaiian islands so there may be different areas not so restricted.
2) In the wild Yellow Tangs live to be 40 years old so unless we have data on the percentage of survivors to 40 in the wild versus in our tanks, I'm not sure we can say factually that tangs in captivity live longer.

At the moment I don't have the source for these two facts, but I will look today and try to post later. I could very well be mistaken.


Joe

P.S. My earlier post had some bad math. If the estimate is 4.2 million + or - 2.2 then the high end estimate is more than 6 million yellow tangs around the island of Hawaii alone. That's a lot of tangs!
 
I can't believe this is still going. Seeing how so many people slapped theirselves. LoL
 
Can everyone still watch the video from the first post? When I try, it says "video is private."
 
For a party that's trying to 'stand' for something.......ain't getting it done by posting private. LoL
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top