Replacing a panel on a 70 gallon tall aquarium

  • Thread starter Thread starter U.P.Guy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
So far so good!
1521170623560.jpg
 
Great news! Your probably aware, but it is a pretty good practice to fill the newly assembled tank in stages that way you can monitor how the seam is performing all the way up. But I am sure you know what you are doing. And what are your plans with the tank?
 
Great news! Your probably aware, but it is a pretty good practice to fill the newly assembled tank in stages that way you can monitor how the seam is performing all the way up. But I am sure you know what you are doing. And what are your plans with the tank?
Thank you, I plan to make it a mixed reef tank. The future stocking will be random and haphazard. I always investigate most spp. I put into my tank but I like to keep my mind open. I will be doing a full tank transfer from my 55 gallon mixed reef. I'll have to give a full breakdow of stocking when I do the flop and I'm excited about the move.
 
Great thread, enjoying watching your progress. Have you filled it all the way?
Thank you,

It's been a journey to get this done but it'll be worth it. I'll fill it tomorrow, I figure once it's set up it'll have nothing but time to fail and I'm not sure when I'll do the flop so I'll let it sit for the night.
 
Well the test fill went successfully. It's holding water and I didn't even flood the basement, bonus! I'll have to get on the swap but I have to wait on new sand. I want to replace the sand from the old tank to ditch some of the nitrates.
MVIMG_20180316_115842.jpg
 
Moving day tomorrow, this is the last day with the 55. I'll post pictures tomorrow!
MVIMG_20180321_205331.jpg
 
WHOOP WHOOP!! cant wait to see it! also, how did you remove the top plastic trim on the tank? I just picked up a 65 gallon tall and may replace a back panel because someone drilled the tank in a weird place and I may end up replacing it like you did.
 
WHOOP WHOOP!! cant wait to see it! also, how did you remove the top plastic trim on the tank? I just picked up a 65 gallon tall and may replace a back panel because someone drilled the tank in a weird place and I may end up replacing it like you did.
I used a drywall spatula that had a point to it. Some of the glass chipped around the rim but I just cleaned it up and layered on the sislicone upon reasambly.
 
I used a drywall spatula that had a point to it. Some of the glass chipped around the rim but I just cleaned it up and layered on the sislicone upon reasambly.
IMG_20180301_231807507.jpg
 
Here it is, i took these pictures of the hole process it was fun. Check out that old sump I built, I'm glad I got away from that first home grown design. What are your thoughts?
MVIMG_20180321_205331.jpg
MVIMG_20180322_225944.jpg
MVIMG_20180322_230921.jpg
 
good good! Looks nice, will be even better especially once the tank has cycled in and the fish are back in. Where did you put the fish for now? I am sure you will appreciate that sump a lot more too. I am happy that everything worked out for you :) do you plan on doing anything else to the setup?
 
good good! Looks nice, will be even better especially once the tank has cycled in and the fish are back in. Where did you put the fish for now? I am sure you will appreciate that sump a lot more too. I am happy that everything worked out for you :) do you plan on doing anything else to the setup?

Yes, thank you! I will appreciate the sump, I built it so I can remove it and clean the entire thing skimmer and all.

I did not put the fish in qt. When I changed tanks I brought all the live rock, chato and a clycled marine pure block to the new tank. The only thing not cycled is the substrate and the glass. I feel that the bacteria In the transferred material is sufficient to handle the fish untill the glass and substrate become cycled. I also transferred 20 gallons of old tank water to help supply the tank with good bacteria.

Why do you think I should not have put them in the tank?
 
Last edited:
Yes I will appreciate the sump, I built it so I can remove it and clean the entire thing skimmer and all.

I did not put the fish in qt. When I changed tanks I brought all the live rock, chato and a clycled marine pure block to the new tank. The only thing not cycled is the substrate and the glass. I feel that the bacteria In the transferred material is sufficient to handle the fish untill the glass and substrate become cycled.
Also yes I plan to wrap the stand in something decorative, place a screen on the top and put my frags on the scape in the next couple of days!
 
WHOOP WHOOP!! cant wait to see it! also, how did you remove the top plastic trim on the tank? I just picked up a 65 gallon tall and may replace a back panel because someone drilled the tank in a weird place and I may end up replacing it like you did.
I would so go for it! But I'm not sure if I said it in this thread but that panel still cost me $115 to special order that thickness of glass and have it come in pre drilled. It was $10 per hole. I think I spent about 10 hrs on the labor to actually replace the panel. Not counting when I would clean it up for 5 minutes at a time. I think it was completely worth it because my alternative would have cost me more money. It was enjoyable.
 
Yes, thank you! I will appreciate the sump, I built it so I can remove it and clean the entire thing skimmer and all.

I did not put the fish in qt. When I changed tanks I brought all the live rock, chato and a clycled marine pure block to the new tank. The only thing not cycled is the substrate and the glass. I feel that the bacteria In the transferred material is sufficient to handle the fish untill the glass and substrate become cycled. I also transferred 20 gallons of old tank water to help supply the tank with good bacteria.

Why do you think I should not have put them in the tank?

Just curious because I didn't see them in the tank lol. And i do think you will experience at least a mini cycle within the next couple weeks from any die off. I would just keep a close eye on the ammonia and possibly have some prime on hand. as well be prepared for a few larger than normal water changes. You should be good to go though :). I've switched tanks a few times with no major issues. May consider keeping lighting low to help make the fish get used to the new tank.

And keep the thread updated on the next improvements. Now your on to the fun stuff! Do you glue your corals in place or just stuff them in holes in the rocks?
 
Thanks for the pointers, I'll keep that in mind as this new tank sets up. The fish all appeared happy and exploring.

I have tried multiple ways (super glue and stuffing them in pockets)to attach frags. I will be using a two part epoxy putty this time for the first time. I want to set my corals in place and wait to see what happens.

I'll make sure to keep you updated! I'm curious to see how this Miny cycle works!
 
Hey guys and girls, I wanted to give you all a update on the tank. So far so good the tank is progressing just fine. I have managed to place some of my frags but I still have not settled on placement of others like that monster Hollywood stunner challice. I think I'm going to trade it in to U.P Reef (my local shop) because I'm not sure I want something that big this early. I have a frag of it for placement later. I have been able to dial in the skimmer and it is producing a nice wet skimmate. My chato has also grown in size and is doing well. I want to give a big shout out to cjud for the advice on the mini cycle. That has indeed happened and I have begun the water changes. I have done a 20 gallon change then a 15 gallon change the next day (more salt is on its way) to help with the mini cycle. My sps corals have not enjoyed this cycle but everything else seems to be doing fine and have nice polyp extension. If anyone is interested in anything else regarding my tank let me know and I'll be happy to speak up!
MVIMG_20180404_210958.jpg
MVIMG_20180404_210952.jpg
MVIMG_20180404_210949.jpg
MVIMG_20180404_210944.jpg
MVIMG_20180404_210935.jpg
MVIMG_20180404_210926.jpg
1522891707701.jpg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top