Rescued Lionfish.... Need help setting up his home

I will pick up prime and an ammonia badge tomorrow morning. I always used prime with my fresh water tanks and loved it. The live sand came with a packet of bio-magnet clarifier. Should I add that to the dt as well? The water is pretty clear. If I put a small filter on the bucket will I still need to do water changes all the time? And what percentage of water should I change in the bucket and should I do water changes daily?
I would do water changes as much as needed. It wood be a great idea to treat for ammonia and nitrites daily. You can add the packet from the sand if you want, water could just be cosy for a day or two.. but usually settles out nicely
 
Id put him in. In an emergency like this id use prime. Its made by seachem i think. It detoxifies ammonia and nitrite which would kill him. I dont lije using it unless its an emergency. It truely works. I had a giant ammonia spike during a tank transfer. Ran out and bought this. All inhabitants lived and still alive today. Even a cleaner shrimp. Which i think is more sensitive.
 
But, to be honest listen to melyper1985. Whoever that is, is very good and know his or her stuff. I should have even posted that last post before reading all the responses. Im sorry.
 
You have gotten some great advice on here. You really need to get it out of the bucket as soon as possible. Your DT is no less cycled than the bucket but has more water volume which is important at this point. Use the clarifier that came with the sand. You can use the bacteria product you bought which will help, but as @melypr1985 pointed out, it is a slower acting product. Biospira is a live bacteria product and works much more quickly. I would try to pick some of that up and use both products.
Very little bacteria is in the water so used or old water isn't helpful for cycling. It could be healthier for the fish since freshly mixed salt water isn't as well mixed as it looks. The fact you have some live rock will help immediately with the nitrogen cycle. The live sand won't help as much in the short term but it will provide some nice diversity for the bacteria and will help with waste removal.
You can use a regular ammonia test kit, you don't need the alert badge unless you plan on treating with copper. Don't worry about Nitrites. They won't harm salt water fish, that is a threat to fresh water fish.
 
You have gotten some great advice on here. You really need to get it out of the bucket as soon as possible. Your DT is no less cycled than the bucket but has more water volume which is important at this point. Use the clarifier that came with the sand. You can use the bacteria product you bought which will help, but as @melypr1985 pointed out, it is a slower acting product. Biospira is a live bacteria product and works much more quickly. I would try to pick some of that up and use both products.
Very little bacteria is in the water so used or old water isn't helpful for cycling. It could be healthier for the fish since freshly mixed salt water isn't as well mixed as it looks. The fact you have some live rock will help immediately with the nitrogen cycle. The live sand won't help as much in the short term but it will provide some nice diversity for the bacteria and will help with waste removal.
You can use a regular ammonia test kit, you don't need the alert badge unless you plan on treating with copper. Don't worry about Nitrites. They won't harm salt water fish, that is a threat to fresh water fish.
 
Ok. I picked up Prime, Bio-spira and an ammonia test kit. Had DT water tested and the only thing that was off was PH It was a little high and the girl told me that the salinity was just a little high. Tested ammonia in the bucket and it it super high. Should I start acclimating Scar to the tank water now by slowly adding tank water to his bucket? When its time to move him what is the best way. I picked up a large net but I am afraid he will get his fins tangled in it? So far my rescued free fish has cost $200 +...I don't mind though because I was planning on turning my tank into a marine tank later this year anyway.
 
If the ammonia is high, I wouldn't bother to acclimate. Just get him out of there. I would treat the display like it's a minimally cycled QT and you're going to have to keep up on water changes until it establishes itself. Don't feed him.
 
If the ammonia is high, I wouldn't bother to acclimate. Just get him out of there. I would treat the display like it's a minimally cycled QT and you're going to have to keep up on water changes until it establishes itself. Don't feed him.
Ok.. Ill stop the drip acclimate now and transfer him over. I did add bio-spira about 45 minutes ago and had my ammonia checked a couple of hours ago. No ammonia but PH a little high.
 
He just needs to get out of that bucket. Be careful and think about what you're doing so you don't get stung.
 
He just needs to get out of that bucket. Be careful and think about what you're doing so you don't get stung.
Ok. Scar is in his new home I ended up using a net to transfer him because my pitcher wouldn't fit in the bucket and I had nothing else with a handle. I have the lights out. Should I go ahead and add prime water conditioner?
 
What I would do if it were me, is keep up on the water changes to the display and put prime in the new water you are putting in. Get the ammonia sticker on there, just in case the ammonia suddenly climbs. You'll still need to do frequent manual testing, as the stickers aren't accurate enough for that.
 
What I would do if it were me, is keep up on the water changes to the display and put prime in the new water you are putting in. Get the ammonia sticker on there, just in case the ammonia suddenly climbs. You'll still need to do frequent manual testing, as the stickers aren't accurate enough for that.
Should I go get more of the sea water or just use distilled water and salt crystals to mix up more water for water changes? Sorry for all the questions...
 
Should I go get more of the sea water or just use distilled water and salt crystals to mix up more water for water changes? Sorry for all the questions...
I don't know of the cost difference, but I would think distilled water and salt mix is fine for now. It's what most people use. Long term you'll want to get an rodi unit to make your own.

Do you know if the store was running copper in their system at all?
 
I don't know of the cost difference, but I would think distilled water and salt mix is fine for now. It's what most people use. Long term you'll want to get an rodi unit to make your own.

Do you know if the store was running copper in their system at all?
He didnt come from a store. He came from a classroom tank. I'm pretty sure copper was never used but making sure right now. Should I ask the store where I got the live rock?
 
It doesn't matter about the copper or what water he came from. It just matters what you're putting in there now. You need to have extra around right now for quick water changes, if need be. You can mix it, or you can buy it pre-mixed, whatever is easier and more economical for you right now. That boxed stuff can get expensive.
 
When you get him in the tank, can you take a couple of pictures? I want to get a closer look at his mouth. Put a lid over the tank of some description, because that's a small tank and if the ammonia climbs when you're not looking, he could easily jump. They are hardy fish, however, and he is a beauty, so let's hope we can get him through this unfortunate start.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top