Ricordea or Rhodactis - how do you really tell?

Crashjack

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 28, 2017
Messages
905
Reaction score
784
Location
Memphis, TN suburb
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to put some different colored mushrooms with the one in the pics. Obviously, I want to get the same genus. I've tried to research online, but I get conflicting information in regards to what is what. Can one really tell by looking at a shroom with the naked eye whether Ricordea or Rhodactis, or is this one of those things people think they know but are really just guessing?

shroom 1.jpg


shroom 2.jpg
 
Makes sense, but what are the tell-tale signs of Ricordea vs. Rhodactis as sometimes the "bumps" look very similar?
 
Maybe show an example of where you are confused, they appear quite distinct in most cases.

Even look at the article linked to, The first two pics under Ricordea are iffy, as is the bottom row under Rhodactis. I've seen other, more confusing, examples that I can't put my finger on tight now.
 
Article. Ones under ricordia.
First 3 are ricordia yuma
Bottom 3 are flordia ricordia.

The breakdown is pretty solid, is the confusion due to the "bounce" variety?
 
Article. Ones under ricordia.
First 3 are ricordia yuma
Bottom 3 are flordia ricordia.

The breakdown is pretty solid, is the confusion due to the "bounce" variety?
I think it’s rhe yuma’s And bounces trippin him up...
 
When you see bounce shrooms in life, it’s a big difference than pictures show
 
This thread is the same as most similar threads. Someone asks how to definitively tell the difference between Ricordea and Rhodactis (as well as subtypes). A few knowledgeable people say it’s obvious without much further explanation, even though it isn’t obvious to probably 90% of reefers if they’re being honest. I have never seen a consistent and useful explanation with properly annotated pics of the differences (including that article which I’ve read a few times but isn’t well-annotated). So I am often left wondering myself, just like the OP.
 
Yuma - classified ricordea
 
Article. Ones under ricordia.
First 3 are ricordia yuma
Bottom 3 are flordia ricordia.

The breakdown is pretty solid, is the confusion due to the "bounce" variety?

The first two on the Ricordea section have less pronounced rounded bubbles, bumps or whatever folks want to call them than the 3 on the bottom of the Rhodactis section. It is easy when the shroom is already identified to say, “Oh yeah, that’s a ...”. It is another thing when looking at a shroom in a LFS or looking at a picture online when they don’t list the genus or you don’t trust their classifications.
 
This thread is the same as most similar threads. Someone asks how to definitively tell the difference between Ricordea and Rhodactis (as well as subtypes). A few knowledgeable people say it’s obvious without much further explanation, even though it isn’t obvious to probably 90% of reefers if they’re being honest. I have never seen a consistent and useful explanation with properly annotated pics of the differences (including that article which I’ve read a few times but isn’t well-annotated). So I am often left wondering myself, just like the OP.

Sounds like you may be the man for the job
 
The first two on the Ricordea section have less pronounced rounded bubbles, bumps or whatever folks want to call them than the 3 on the bottom of the Rhodactis section. It is easy when the shroom is already identified to say, “Oh yeah, that’s a ...”. It is another thing when looking at a shroom in a LFS or looking at a picture online when they don’t list the genus or you don’t trust their classifications.
Well I guess I wasted your time and my efforts.
 
Sounds like you may be the man for the job

I wish I were, I’m not knowledgeable enough despite trying to learn about it previously.

I clicked through to this thread looking to learn.
 
Well I guess I wasted your time and my efforts.

Sorry, I didn’t mean for my post to sound like I was arguing or calling anybody out. I sincerely want to know how to better identify. I just don’t believe that rounded bumps really solidifies the classification.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top