rodi water not 150 gallons a day

49 last week. Not sure on my summer temp yet. I installed about 3 months ago.

I put a temp and pressure gauge on my line in when I redid them.
 
the auto flush comes on for one min every time the unit starts back up.. its some type of electronic controller. my water intake to the unit is close to the water supply coming into the house.. I think the fact the water is really cold is most likely my issue. I am setting up a neptune flow monitor on the output.. but not sure what that will show.. meaning.. any really specific accurate readings. time will tell.. not sure if neptune apex will actually log and show when we are producing water.. would be nice to know and log the amount of water produced..
 
Just checked.
1280 ml waste per min
Only good water at
104 ml per min
42 f temp
80psi
79ED0DE1-C14E-4739-A998-99EC0D1D2274.jpeg
2AEDA5FE-C51F-4EBB-AEAA-1DCA31B72B23.jpeg


68F1E637-5E62-476B-A063-843962D7D547.jpeg


BDBABBCD-ED90-4278-AC77-E8B97B4E029D.jpeg


60E66F09-CF7E-4498-B720-FAB928AC02D6.jpeg
 
That is a horribly high amount of water going to drain (concentrate). Are your membranes bad (fouled or scaled)? What flow restrictors are you using?

Russ
 
so I believe i have the 75 gallon flow restrictor in line.. its the blue one. i have changed out again the carbon and the sediment. I believe again that my membranes have clogged early.. I never seem to get a good life span on them. I am willing to bet if i change them out the ratio will improve and the amount produced will also at a lower psi. Right now my booster pump when on is pushing 98 psi. Which i believe is not a good thing.. I recall 90 psi being the suggested max.

without the booster pump at water temp of 42 f I get
psi 50
212 gallons a day waste water
31 gallons product water
6.8 ratio

booster pump on
psi 98
304 gallons a day waste water
57 gallons a day product water
5.3 ratio
 
back in october of 2018.. few months ago.. i was emailing with spectrapure.. they sent out some new membrane and we changed them out.

Following results before and after membrane change... . results below..

Before membrane change.

With pump on psi is 90
1100 ml per min waste water
80ml per min good water 80/1100 .07

Without pump 42 psi
800 ml/ Per min discharge
20 ml per min good water 20/800 .02

Changed membranes .
without pump on

At 41 psi Waste is 930 ml/pmin
Good is 195 ml / pmin 195/930 = . 21

At 79 psi pump in use
Waste is 1290 ml / pmin
Good is 340 ml / pmin 340/1290. = . 26
 
Do you know what your tap water total hardness is?

If you'd like help troubleshooting it feel free to give us a call when you are in front of the system and we can get it squared away.

Russ
 
ordered new membranes and will post results after they are installed.. TDS is 115 going into the unit.
thank you
 
so I believe i have the 75 gallon flow restrictor in line.. its the blue one. i have changed out again the carbon and the sediment. I believe again that my membranes have clogged early.. I never seem to get a good life span on them. I am willing to bet if i change them out the ratio will improve and the amount produced will also at a lower psi. Right now my booster pump when on is pushing 98 psi. Which i believe is not a good thing.. I recall 90 psi being the suggested max.

without the booster pump at water temp of 42 f I get
psi 50
212 gallons a day waste water
31 gallons product water
6.8 ratio

booster pump on
psi 98
304 gallons a day waste water
57 gallons a day product water
5.3 ratio

I dont know a ton about this stuff but was reading this thread to learn. Anyways, i thought you said you are using a valve as your flow restrictor? Why would you keep the 75 gpd flow restrictor inline AND use a valve to adjust back pressure on the membrane? Wouldnt you want to remove that flow restrictor and just use the valve? Its one or the other, right? Get what im saying?
 
to be clear.. had the flow restrictor originally. then Spectra Pure suggested removing it and using a valve.. The valve simply allows one to adjust the restriction force..in other words you can adjuster the PSI. By doing that I was able to adjust the ratio some what. Again,, that was after the problem.. it did not cause the problem..
 
to be clear.. had the flow restrictor originally. then Spectra Pure suggested removing it and using a valve.. The valve simply allows one to adjust the restriction force..in other words you can adjuster the PSI. By doing that I was able to adjust the ratio some what. Again,, that was after the problem.. it did not cause the problem..

Gotcha! Just wanted to make sure you were not using both at the same time!
 
So. New membranes are in . Dow. 75 gallons a day. Two of them. In place
Now my numbers are right on. Thinking the membranes are failing due to my water hardness.
Now at 42 f. TDS 115 psi 48
With out pump. Get
87 gallons a day product
296 gallons waste a day

With pump at 88 psi
153 gallons a day product
304 gallons waste a day
 
TDS our of the e tap is 116. Are you saying measure Dkh of the tap water when you say hardeness?. Use Hanna checker? I assume it works with fresh. But then again. I recal Hanna’s phosphate checks is not accurate with fresh water
 
TDS our of the e tap is 116. Are you saying measure Dkh of the tap water when you say hardeness?. Use Hanna checker? I assume it works with fresh. But then again. I recal Hanna’s phosphate checks is not accurate with fresh water

Yes - DkH of your tap water. I can convert that into more customary units. You'll have to check the manual re testing freshwater.

Russ
 
TDS our of the e tap is 116. Are you saying measure Dkh of the tap water when you say hardeness?. Use Hanna checker? I assume it works with fresh. But then again. I recal Hanna’s phosphate checks is not accurate with fresh water
116 is nothing. I have over 450 ppm out of the tap from city water. I run an old Spectrapure 90 gpd at 4:1 waste using Spectrapure's standard membrane. I make 20g of 0 ppm water at 62 psi with wayer temps at about 50-60°f currently. Tds after the membrane is 3 ppm and I get at least 18 months out of a membrane at 98% rejection, I dont flush the membrane ever.
 
In trying to determine if you are clogging (scaling) your membranes, the TDS of the feedwater is interesting, but not the defining attribute. Feedwater HARDNESS is.

Just like hard water will leave a scale buildup on your kitchen faucet, it will leave the same scale INSIDE the RO element, and eventually it will clog. When it does, we say "the membrane is scaled."

Russ
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top