Salinity goes from 1.023 to 1.029

Calibrate and recheck after 12-24 hrs. First calibrate with RO water at ZERO then solution at 35 ppt then try again with measurement
Sounds good I will do that thank you!
 
This sounds like a problem I have had. Consider whether the problem might be your refractometer—specifically, the heating and cooling of the internal optics as you handle it between measurements.

I use a terrible, cheap refractometer, but make it work. It supposedly has automatic temperature control, but the readings bounce all over the place even if I just warm it in my hand for 20 or 30 seconds.

To get around this, I check it with 35ppt calibration fluid every time I use it. Then I check my sample against whatever reading it gave for the calibration solution. If they’re the same, great. Otherwise, I know to adjust up or down. I try not to handle the refractometer too much (body heat), and I don’t bother actually calibrating the thing.

I run my tank at 35ppt, so I just want to know whether my water is as refractive as the calibration solution. Even a cheap, uncalibrated refractometer can tell you that.

Edit: try watching the reading as you hold the refractometer for a minute or two. See if the measurement drops (heating should cause it to read lower and lower). If you see that happening, I bet that’s the issue.
 
Last edited:
This sounds like a problem I have had. Consider whether the problem might be your refractometer—specifically, the heating and cooling of the internal optics as you handle it between measurements.

I use a terrible, cheap refractometer, but make it work. It supposedly has automatic temperature control, but the readings bounce all over the place even if I just warm it in my hand for 20 or 30 seconds.

To get around this, I check it with 35ppt calibration fluid every time I use it. Then I check my sample against whatever reading it gave for the calibration solution. If they’re the same, great. Otherwise, I know to adjust up or down. I try not to handle the refractometer too much (body heat), and I don’t bother actually calibrating the thing.

I run my tank at 35ppt, so I just want to know whether my water is as refractive as the calibration solution. Even a cheap, uncalibrated refractometer can tell you that.

Edit: try watching the reading as you hold the refractometer for a minute or two. See if the measurement drops (heating should cause it to read lower and lower). If you see that happening, I bet that’s the issue.
I will definitely check this out now that I think about I had my windows in the house open and the temp dropped to 58 degrees overnight so that probably my issue I will now more later this afternoon thank you!
 
Kind of been said, but a real big variable is how long you mix for.

For me, newly mixed water usually tests higher. Lets say I warm the water up, have the mixing pump on, and dump in my salt til it gets to 35ppt.. If I test it the following day (mixing the whole time) it will read 32.

Also, anytime you're testing a lot, rinsing the refracto a lot, adjusting, calibrating... it all goes to heck. Try to use it once or twice, cold and dry.
 
Hey everyone thanks for the help after numerous checking in everything recommended, turned out I had a bad refractometer from Red Sea and was able to get it replaced and that fixed the issue, just lucky my salinity wasn’t deadly etc. actually was in the right parameters.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top