Salt that mixes near 8.5dKh

I've never had IO mix above 11 dKh (typically 10.5-10.7) but RC is higher. I go the muriatic acid route, it's easy to do and I like the low cost and widespread availability of IO; if I'm in a pinch, I can hit the LFS, Petco, or the like and find IO without issue. I transfer the muriatic acid to a smaller container so it's easier to manage.

40671543012_57ddaec075_b.jpg
How much acid do you add? What are the calcs?
 
How much acid do you add? What are the calcs?

It depends on the concentration of the muriatic acid you're using. I'm using a "low fume" option right now which requires 3-4ml to get down to 7 dKh (where I run our tank). The low fume option is 20% HCl but standard concentrations are typically in the 30-33% range which require about 2ml to hit the same target. The formula for 30% is:

gallons x desired drop in dKh x .123 = ml to dose

5g bucket x 3 dKh (from 10 to 7) x .123 = 1.845ml muriatic acid
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top