Schuran Customs 90g tank with HUGE Algae reactor

IMG_1642.jpg

Wife Acceptance Factor - still high
 
IMG_1675.jpg

Water is the tank. Salt is in the water! Just trying out my "anti jumping net". An iPad mini serves as a screen for the Apex.
 
IMG_1676.jpg

Really liking my new refractometer!
 
Bought a small, 1-kilo living stone at my LFS to get the tank populated with all the beneficial stuff from the reef. All I have to do now is.. wait..
 
IMG_0030.jpg

Almost three weeks with my DIY Cheato reactor. Working good so far. I can see pods, asterinas and bristle worms in the reactor, so it's working good as a refugium also.
 
IMG_0064.jpg

Well, the Chaeto reactor is working as intended! Had to remove a LOT this week! And Phosphates are 0.00 on my Hanna low range.

IMG_0063.jpg
 
Phosphate at 0.00 according to my Hanna. Nitrate at 0.00 according to my (somewhat hard to read) Salifert test. Have started to add kn03 to raise Nitrate in a controlled way to try to calculate Nitrate consumption and then I am going to try to have 2.5 to 5 ppm Nitrate.

So far this algae reactor is a success. :)
 
What kind LED you get for your reactor? And where you get it from

That is a ridiculous amount of Chaeto! Nice job on the reactor

I bought it from www.lightinthebox.com - It's a waterproof led strip with 2700k china 5050 leds. I think you can find it on alibaba.com and ebay as well. Yes, it is a ridiculous amount of chaeto :) and the reactor is also full of pods and bristleworms and other life.
 
Last edited:
Wow that sump looks incredible, and good job on that chaeto reactor!
 
After measuring Nitrate today it seems like the algae reactor has an uptake of 5 ppm Nitrate per day. So I am going to keep adding 5 ppm per day and keep measuring and see if I can keep a steady 5 ppm Nitrate level in the tank.
 
IMG_0116.jpg

Amazing growth, so thick and green :)

IMG_0118.jpg

This is how much I throw away on a weekly basis..

Phosphate 0.00 on my Hanna. I know there is some phosphate since I can see nitrate levels dropping. Nitrate around 5ppm.
 
Last edited:
Wow that's impressive!

Thanks! :)

I'm trying to strike a balance between nutrient uptake and how much food I put in the tank. A couple more fish and perhaps some invertebraes and then it should stabilize (sort of). The goal is to run the full Triton method but with this algae reactor instead of the traditional fuge.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top