Seeking a blue fish, hardy, peaceful, reef safe...

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Joined
Apr 1, 2015
Messages
2,626
Reaction score
2,235
Location
Lubbock, TX
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some blue movement in my tank.

72 gallon bowfront.
I really want a blue fish, but no damsels and no tangs... GO!
CURRENT STOCK:
pair of clowns
McKoskers wrasse
one spot foxface rabbit fish
fire fish
engineer goby (8" long)
 
How about a solar wrasse. They are blue/green but hardy and peaceful
 
Blue Gudgeon Dartfish.
those look pretty nice. blue, hardy, peaceful, cheap, and liveaquaria says they like to be in pair (bonus!)

I wonder if they will get along w/ my firefish?
 
Blue Gudgeon Dartfish.

I got one of these and love it! Although I discovered after the fact that in the wild they stay in groups. They stay in the rocks during the day and come out later in the day to forage for food. Last weekend I was able to pick up an additional 4...they're still in QT right now.

Here's a video of 3 fish.

 
those look pretty nice. blue, hardy, peaceful, cheap, and liveaquaria says they like to be in pair (bonus!)

I wonder if they will get along w/ my firefish?

I had mine in the tank with a purple firefish and they never bothered each other. The gudgeons remind me of the innocent bystander...they stay away from any drama going on in the tank.
 
Blue Gudgeon Dartfish.
those look pretty nice. blue, hardy, peaceful, cheap, and liveaquaria says they like to be in pair (bonus!)

I wonder if they will get along w/ my firefish?
Blue gudgeons are very peaceful and will coexist nicely with the firefish. But they can be very shy, so do better in groups, the bigger the group the bolder they become.

Another dartfish that is blue is the hannae goby, they are a slightly paler blue, get a little larger, and develop long streamers on the tail.

Although you said no damsels, the springeri damsel is very peaceful and very blue.

Neon gobies have are mostly blue, but a pretty small.

Chalk bass is a purplish blue, is peaceful and hardy.
 
I got one of these and love it! Although I discovered after the fact that in the wild they stay in groups. They stay in the rocks during the day and come out later in the day to forage for food. Last weekend I was able to pick up an additional 4...they're still in QT right now.

Here's a video of 3 fish.

very cool
 
I had some gudgeons, while cool fish, they are skittish. I had a pair that didn't last in an active tank.
 
If you go with the gudgeons I'd definitely get several to start with. Like eatbreakfast said they are very shy. With the individual I have he was one of the last to go in and stayed hid pretty much 24/7. If he did venture out he'd run and hide as soon as a tang got anywhere near. I was worried he was going to starve. Once he went back into the tank after the ick outbreak it's been much more adventurous and will come out and stay out for longer periods and swim around with the chromis. The 4 that are in QT are very similar, 2 of them hide in pvc pipes most of the day while the other 2 stay out all the time. Usually about 4pm or so they all come out and swim all over the tank.
 
Now I'm leaning towards the chalk bass. I like community fish.
 
Actually, the spingeri damsel seems very active. Hmmm... never heard of a peaceful damsel. They ARE very blue indeed!
 
lamarck angelfish, silver black blue colors,. Never a problem in ten years with mine. Not bashful. Eats anything and does not bother other fish. Nice streamers on his tail too
 
Definitely XL blue chromis. Mine are about 3" long. They stand out in my reef among many different beautiful wrasses. Must be XL size or they have that damsel look lol
 
Just got home from the gym and was surprised to find all 4 gudgeons were out and about. As soon as they say me 2 of them hid. One eventually came back out...you can see him peeking out from behind the pvc pipe. Video is a little blurry.

 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top