Sharkbait’s 40 Breeder Upgrade

sorry about your Nem!!! :crying-face:
They make me nervous. I love the idea of them but I dont think they are right for my personality. I have turned my attention to RFAS. Maybe that would be a good fit for you until/if you decide to give another nem a try.
 
Thanks. I’ve considered RFAs for a while, and might try one soon. I’d love to figure out what exactly went wrong with the BTA, but I guess these things sometimes just happen…
I've seen some people who believe it is the way they are shipped. The nems expel waste in the water they are shipped in and then develop an infection due to sitting in during the shipping time etc. I'm not saying that is what happened to yours and I dont know if it true, but logically it sounds plausible.....
 
I've seen some people who believe it is the way they are shipped. The nems expel waste in the water they are shipped in and then develop an infection due to sitting in during the shipping time etc. I'm not saying that is what happened to yours and I dont know if it true, but logically it sounds plausible.....
The only problem with that theory is that I bought it at an lfs…
If I had to guess I’d say that there was some salinity swing in the most recent water change that caused it to react poorly. I noticed a couple days ago, but neglected to do anything, afraid that I’d make it worse. In hindsight, I probably should have intervened and isolated it…
 
Good(ish) news!! The nem finally popped up out of nowhere—I found it tucked underneath a leather coral, half buried in the sand. My first guess is that the pistol shrimp lovingly borrowed it for a few hours. Needless to say, it looks like as though was thrown under a steam roller. It reattached to a rock, so I can only hope it A- stays there and B- doesn’t shrivel up more…
D71EDB87-95F9-40F7-A9A2-29DA057F9AE0.jpeg

D7D9D1F0-B881-4FDE-9662-919E79769237.jpeg
 
The cleaner shrimp randomly died this morning, totally out of the blue. I think at this point I can confirm that something is wrong. I bought some brand new salifert kits, and hopefully I can find the root of the problem.
 
They’re beautiful… Is the hawk taking a ride?
It definitely looks that way lol. He was hovering behind the angel so thought that would be a funny angle to snap a pic!
 
Good(ish) news!! The nem finally popped up out of nowhere—I found it tucked underneath a leather coral, half buried in the sand. My first guess is that the pistol shrimp lovingly borrowed it for a few hours. Needless to say, it looks like as though was thrown under a steam roller. It reattached to a rock, so I can only hope it A- stays there and B- doesn’t shrivel up more…
D71EDB87-95F9-40F7-A9A2-29DA057F9AE0.jpeg

D7D9D1F0-B881-4FDE-9662-919E79769237.jpeg
It happens and can definitely come back dont worry about it.

That light you are using looks underpowered for a 40 gallon reef tank though, so IMO it would be best to upgrade that light. I dont think it will give you as much par as you think
 
It happens and can definitely come back dont worry about it.

That light you are using looks underpowered for a 40 gallon reef tank though, so IMO it would be best to upgrade that light. I dont think it will give you as much par as you think
The light may be underpowered, but so far I haven’t seen any changes in coral happiness, growth, etc., as compared to my previous Fluval lighting. If anything, the coral color and polyp extension has improved, especially with the euphyllia.
 
The euphylia may be responding as the fluval lights arent very powerful either, time will tell how the coral reacts to the light. Adding an led bar like orphek or3 or quanta reef bar with the current light would be a pretty cheap way to add more par if you find yourself needing it in the future
 
Sorry about the struggles, Shark. It's good that you're troubleshooting. A signifcant salinity swing could easily cause your anenome crash like that. Same for the shrimp which are pretty sensitive as well. And in my experience with cleaner shrimp, they don't always show outward symptoms that something's wrong. I've seen them just drop dead off of the rocks, so it may have been struggling a bit even though it looks out of the blue. My only big concern would be about the anenome. If it's struggling, I'd worry a little about it potentially fouling the tank. But if the cleaner is the only other casualty, I don't know that I'd pin it on the nem just yet. Best of luck, the fish look awesome (i love that hawk).
 
A quick update: Last week I isolated the nem in a hospital tank in the event that it melted. Unfortunately, it did start to melt, and I determined over the weekend that it was now beyond saving. Sadly, the tank will remain anemone-less for a bit until I feel confident to make a large investment like that again…
1650930769059.gif
 
Update: Last night, a sick pufferfish in one of my freshwater tanks forced me to free up one of my qt tanks for treatment. Unfortunately, the only qt tank truly available has been serving as a clownfish prison. So, I had no choice but to move my evil clownfish back into the main display. Let’s just say she’s on probation, and if she behaves, maybe she can stay in main society…
5FB8EBA1-83A1-4EE3-89ED-14019ED361E8.jpeg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top