Should I have detritus accumulating in my sump?

Buckyfan

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 14, 2020
Messages
45
Reaction score
91
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a 20 gallon long sump with a 40 breeder reef tank that has just a few soft corals at this point. The live rock is well established for eight plus years.
My question is about detritus accumulating in the bottom of my sump. About every week there's a thin layer of these Brown looking pieces of detritus on the bottom of the entire sump. I can vacuum them up with a bucket head.
I am new to having a sump, so I don't know if this is normal or not. I have 200 micron filter sock. I'm assuming the stuff is leaking through that? Do I need a different filter sock or is this just normal?
Thanks

20200517_175423.jpg
 
Can you get a picture of it? Some people end up with some type of flatworm that is a brownish yellow color in their sumps. Typically harmless and from what I understand wrasses will eat them.
 
Can you get a picture of it? Some people end up with some type of flatworm that is a brownish yellow color in their sumps. Typically harmless and from what I understand wrasses will eat them.
It's a little worse than this because this is after just finishing vacuuming it.

20200517_181111.jpg
 
It's the same yellow stuff that you can see inside the bottom of the skimmer body on the black part of the skimmer on the right side of the picture
 
If you want it gone put a small powerhead in the sump and it will keep it clean.
It is just what gets through the 200 micron sock.
The powerhead keeps it suspended and it goes back to the tank and gets caught in the sock.
Works for me in my 120 with 40 breeder sump.
 
If you want it gone put a small powerhead in the sump and it will keep it clean.
It is just what gets through the 200 micron sock.
The powerhead keeps it suspended and it goes back to the tank and gets caught in the sock.
Works for me in my 120 with 40 breeder sump.
Ok I may try that. Wouldn't I have to put a power head in each chamber of the sump to make that work?
 
Ok I may try that. Wouldn't I have to put a power head in each chamber of the sump to make that work?
Probably. You could move them around.
I run baffle free systems on my 40 breeder sumps so it works well for me.
 
I run baffle free systems on my 40 breeder sumps so it works well for me.
And no problems with micro bubbles? I actually had considered running no baffles and was thinking it would probably work fine but wasn't sure about setting the height of the protein skimmer
 
I have it too. Would rather vacuum it all out from there than have it blowing around the display. I use a maxi jet and attachment and just put the outlet hose in a 50 micron sock in my sump so I don’t lose any water.
 
And no problems with micro bubbles? I actually had considered running no baffles and was thinking it would probably work fine but wasn't sure about setting the height of the protein skimmer
No issues in my 120 or 45 frag/lagoon system.
120 runs, skimmer, filter sock, carx,
return pump, ato, heater- only in the winter, 3liter nag of eheim substrate pro and a small tunze powerhead.
20200505_180508.jpg
 
i
I have it too. Would rather vacuum it all out from there than have it blowing around the display. I use a maxi jet and attachment and just put the outlet hose in a 50 micron sock in my sump so I don’t lose any water.
If you put the powerhead in the sump after its clean you will never notice it in the tank lol.
 
I have it too. Would rather vacuum it all out from there than have it blowing around the display. I use a maxi jet and attachment and just put the outlet hose in a 50 micron sock in my sump so I don’t lose any water.
Yea I used to do that but its easier with the powerhead imo.
One less thing to do.
 
Yea it comes out when I clean the filter sock each week lol.
Is 200 microns the standard filter sock micron size? I guess I didn't really pay too much attention when I ordered it It just seemed like they were all 200 microns. Would a 50 micron size be better or does that not allow enough water flow coming from the return?
 
If you want it gone put a small powerhead in the sump and it will keep it clean.
It is just what gets through the 200 micron sock.
The powerhead keeps it suspended and it goes back to the tank and gets caught in the sock.
Works for me in my 120 with 40 breeder sump.

If it made it through the sock initially & accumulated at the bottom of the sump, why would it help to add it back it into circulation & just go through the sock again? If the crud has settled in the sump, then that is the best place for it to settle. It can then just be siphoned out (with or without a pump depending on the set up) as part of regular water change routine.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top