Skimz Ibox Nano project in the works.

thadscottmoore

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 28, 2009
Messages
71
Reaction score
2
Location
Lumberton, Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after debating between the Dymax IQ3 or the Skimz Ibox Nano to replace my Picotope, I have decided on going with a Skimz Ibox Nano. Ordered one today. Now the wait game has begun. I will adapt much of the parts from the picotope over to the Skimz Ibox- Glazer Crees LED Fixture, ATO, Auto Water Change, Auto Liquid Feeder, and Chiller, and RKE with Temp Probe controller will make way to the Skimz Ibox. The Skimz Ibox comes with a Glazer style air driven protein skimmer. The reason for the move from the picotope to a Skimz Ibox- my nano magnet glass cleaner developed corrosion around the magnet and left tiny micro scratches throughout the glass- causing an almost glaze finish to the glass.

link to my picotope build that will be replaced.
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=281758&st=0
 
Last edited:
Well, expecting delivery on Wednesday of next week- the FedEx Delivery man made a surprise Saturday delivery today!
IMG_20120901_102524.jpg



Giving a size comparison.
IMG_20120901_102823.jpg



Out of the box! Sargent cant help buy be puzzled by the new tank.
IMG_20120901_103618.jpg



IMG_20120901_103719.jpg



Assembled and let the modifications begin!
IMG_20120901_131331.jpg

IMG_20120901_131406.jpg

IMG_20120901_131306.jpg



About to load it up and take it over to lrnsad90 for some tweaking and modification help.


Plans:
1. Drill false wall and add additional pump to pump chamber.
2. Drill back and install external refugium.
3. LED fixture Fabrication.
4. Install Chiller and Heater on Refugium Chamber.
5. Install my Auto Water Change system.
6. Install the ATO.
 

Attachments

  • fedexbox.jpg
    fedexbox.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 403
  • box outside  the fedex box.jpg
    box outside the fedex box.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 379
  • sargent inspection.jpg
    sargent inspection.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 378
  • th_IMG_20120901_103658.jpg
    th_IMG_20120901_103658.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 388
  • th_IMG_20120901_103719.jpg
    th_IMG_20120901_103719.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
modifications have begun! already drilled the bulkhead 1/4" hole- second flow pump. Drilling and tapping the back to install drain and input for external refugium. Also, installing my ATO, and chilled auto liquid feeder system, chiller probe and heater all controlled by my RKE. also, plan to build another LED fixture.
 
drilled and thread tapped back side.
IMG_20120902_122149.jpg

IMG_20120902_121956.jpg



Fittings installed.
IMG_20120902_141816.jpg



my buddy hooked me up with a snail drain guard.
IMG_20120902_141829.jpg



View from the top.
IMG_20120902_141802.jpg



Painted fittings installed.
IMG_20120902_154521.jpg

IMG_20120902_154544.jpg



Now, time to start building the refugium sump...
 
Looks great!!

Thank you. Between myself and my reef buddy (who is a perfectionist down to the fine details), this project is a real thought and time consuming build. I am in no hurry- taking time to do it right the first time around with this build. I am the pico/nano person of the local reef society, and he is the monster tank guy of the reef society. So far, its a fun project.
 
Very cool! Can't wait to see this progress!
 
Ordering my TwentyK PAR30 from LEDtric.com. :xd:
Built a surface skimmer box from a cassette case (dollar general still has them! bought a 4 pack- screwed up first three tries before I got it right on the 4th try). :eek: I attached it with a small bead of aquarium silicone. Gave it a test run this evening along with the tapped fittings for water tightness- all passed without a problem. Only issue I found was the pump I would be using in the sump isnt enough to really give any flow in the tank - so, I did the next reasonable thing and went to ebay to order a pump that might fit the job. time will tell. :juggle:


the sump will be a job! micro sized- found this one on the net that might just fit the ticket- just have to get down to fabricating it.


IMG-20110817-00098.jpg
 
Received the LEDrict PAR 30 yesterday and the pump that I will use in my refugim to return water to display tank. Went to Walmart last night to buy a desk top lamp to house the new LED bulb. Its coming together slowly but surelly.

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk 2
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top