Some sort of slime... pictures too

SunCorals

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 20, 2013
Messages
214
Reaction score
15
Location
DeLand FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this only in my sump for the past few days. I cannot seem to get a real answer all my parameters look normal and stable from what I usually run. I do dose vodka on the tank roughly 1ml per day. Only thing new is I switched back to reef crystals from red sea, did a 10 gallon water change over the weekend, changed out the carbon in my reactor, and also upgraded my light to an acan. Please help and maybe I can be directed. Once again my main display is completely free of this.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 

Attachments

  • 1370985463587.jpg
    1370985463587.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 216
  • 1370985524419.jpg
    1370985524419.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 229
I the problem the "scum" at the water sruface in the sump?

Tank looks good.

things are healthy.

perhaps the sump is just doing its job and the scum will subside with a little time.

my .02
 
Just a little update cleaned out the ro trash can and found what seems to look like the same stuff. I think its the reef crystal after slime... thanks for the responses!

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
I the problem the "scum" at the water sruface in the sump?

Tank looks good.

things are healthy.

perhaps the sump is just doing its job and the scum will subside with a little time.

my .02

Yes, its just scum at the surface. Things are healthy as can be and thanks! :-)

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
Yeah there a few threads on it on other forums. Just goggle it its a thin brown slime that coats everything. What ppt do you mix to? Only reef crystal in my experience has done it. I have used tropic martin, red sea pro, rc.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
Same mix here. Im suprised you dont know. I have to clean out my mixing station once every month or so with it.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
I had a slime problem a few weeks back, but it was white not brown at all and very stringy, maybe it has something to do with the salt, I am now on a hunt to find more info...thanks

Same mix here. Im suprised you dont know. I have to clean out my mixing station once every month or so with it.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
What kind of container are you mixing in?
 
Very strange. Been using RC for 4yrs and never seen nor even heard of this happening to anyone. Looks & acts like protein to me. Especially since it seems to float.


Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
 
Me neither. Doesn't even leave residue after a couple days in my brute mixing containers. Rscp did after a couple hours.
 
I mix mine for 24 hours before changing, I use the a Rubbermaid storage container, never seen any type of residue using reef crystals.
 
Hm... questioning my ro unit. Anyone recommend a good one to upgrade to?

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
I think most (maybe even all?) salts will do this given enough time mixing. (If you mix and use within 24 hours or so, you may never see it.) The explanation I've heard is that it's a clay used as a chelating agent in the salt mix. Instant Ocean, Reef Crystals, Tropic Marin and Tropic Marin Pro Reef are the salts I'm most familiar with (meaning I've gone through 1000's of gallons per week at times) and they all do it. Instant Ocean products seem to leave the reddish-brown residue and Tropic Marin is more of a black color. Both seem to be benign...little more than a topic of conversation. ;)

-Matt
 
Well.its all gone if I had to guess id just say it was just some sort of freak slime maybe the sump was just doing its job.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top