sps don't grow!! what is the problem with my set up

acropora4u

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 10, 2012
Messages
2,528
Reaction score
1,195
Location
here
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the SPS (acropora) live but do not grow... tank is 225 gallon peninsula and is 3 year established.

Lighting:

2xkessil A500-X on from 11:00am to 7:00pm - at 60%
3 x radion gen 6 xr15 on from 7:30am to 7:30pm - max at 80% AB+
4 x 805 T5 - on from 8:00am to 12:00pm
2 x Orphek LED bars 803 ( blue) on from 9:00am to 9:00 pm

Flow:

4 x MP60s
2 x neptune wav

parameters:

calcium 436 steady
alk 7.0 steady
mag 1364 steady
no3 - 9.0
po4 - 0.09
PH 7.9 - 8.2

par is around 300 - 400 near top where all acros are

any suggestions?
 
thanks, all acros... no camera sorry. measuring the parameters via Neptune trident and checking accuracy with hanna meters
 
I would suggest higher Alk. I have seen recommendations between 10-12. Standard is 8-12, so 7 may just not be high enough. Stable is good though.
Why is Alk at 7 not good?
Ive seen tanks with Alk 6.5 and growing massively.

Even Fauna Marin suggests 6.5-7.0 for SPS tanks
 
spend $22 on a bottle of Acropower, dose it nightly. I can write a page with boring details but the last sentence ends with “it just works”. It’s not snake oil, just watch. Every thing else looks good, you could also send out an ICP test.
I added /edited in that you might want to send out an ICP as well.
 
Why is Alk at 7 not good?
Ive seen tanks with Alk 6.5 and growing massively.

Even Fauna Marin suggests 6.5-7.0 for SPS tanks
Personal experience and recommendations from a few trusted sources. There are reefers who have success and parameters all over the place. I wouldn’t say that any one silver bullet will fix anything, as others have said there can be many different solutions. Such as additives like acro power, I like aquavitro fuel because I love the neon yellow swirl through the tank when I dose.
 
Why is Alk at 7 not good?
Ive seen tanks with Alk 6.5 and growing massively.

Even Fauna Marin suggests 6.5-7.0 for SPS tanks
Exactly. @jda, I believe he runs his tanks sub 8dkh. I know I do. Here is about 7 months of growth 7.6alk on my Hanna checker. I don’t do anything to keep it low or anything, it is just kind of settled around there on it’s owe.


corey
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0521.jpeg
    IMG_0521.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1885.jpeg
    IMG_1885.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 91
Really need some pics here.

-I would run the t5s for 6 hours or so as your peak brightest part of the day lighting.
-Your levels are not ULN, which is fine. Low alk is usually a bad combination for growth. 8.0-8.5 you will definitely see increased growth.
-Your water changes. You didn't say. If you're on the no water change/ICP bandwagon, do a monster water change. You will see an immediate improvement.
-Par 300-400 at the top is so so. You can definitely bump that up. The radion g6 XR-15 have weak par. I would run the ab+ spectrum at 100% which is only 60% of the lights overall power.
 
Last edited:
the SPS (acropora) live but do not grow... tank is 225 gallon peninsula and is 3 year established.

Lighting:

2xkessil A500-X on from 11:00am to 7:00pm - at 60%
3 x radion gen 6 xr15 on from 7:30am to 7:30pm - max at 80% AB+
4 x 805 T5 - on from 8:00am to 12:00pm
2 x Orphek LED bars 803 ( blue) on from 9:00am to 9:00 pm

Flow:

4 x MP60s
2 x neptune wav

parameters:

calcium 436 steady
alk 7.0 steady
mag 1364 steady
no3 - 9.0
po4 - 0.09
PH 7.9 - 8.2

par is around 300 - 400 near top where all acros are

any suggestions?
I've run 9 and 450 for 25 years and no company will talk me out of it. Not sure what you run your temp at but on this system I decided to go 79-80 as opposed to 77.5-78.5 and my growth and color have improved tremendously. Could be something as simple as that?
 
Why is Alk at 7 not good?
Ive seen tanks with Alk 6.5 and growing massively.

Even Fauna Marin suggests 6.5-7.0 for SPS tanks
Totally agree and with his nutrients levels running high alk will lead to burnt tips. I really think the issue is all the different types of lights and different spectrums. I've read about T5 combos working well but he has 4 different models of lights trying to get them to blend and the acros to accept them.
 
spend $22 on a bottle of Acropower, dose it nightly. I can write a page with boring details but the last sentence ends with “it just works”. It’s not snake oil, just watch. Every thing else looks good, you could also send out an ICP test.
I have also seen a vast improvement in Acro growth using Acropower.
 
Is your tank consuming all? If so, what are you using to dose and how much per Dy are you having to add?
 
I've run 9 and 450 for 25 years and no company will talk me out of it. Not sure what you run your temp at but on this system I decided to go 79-80 as opposed to 77.5-78.5 and my growth and color have improved tremendously. Could be something as simple as that?
wow, I keep my temp at 77.0 to 77.2....maybe raise the temp?
 
Totally agree and with his nutrients levels running high alk will lead to burnt tips. I really think the issue is all the different types of lights and different spectrums. I've read about T5 combos working well but he has 4 different models of lights trying to get them to blend and the acros to accept them.
its actually 2 different lights, LEDS and T5s
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top