Tahoe's 30 JBJ rimless nano.

After acquiring more varied types of zoanthids, I have come to the conclusion they are like Xenia, ignore them and it's all good.

I try to keep them at an angle, they seem to do better, placement under much less intensity than my sps, I feed them Reefroids.

And honestly I have no idea what I am talking about when it comes to zoanthids. Cross my fingers and hope nothing melts. I am religious about avoiding the usual zonathid pests though. I think they are stunning, I would love to have some zippers, darthmals, VDM,..... but real estate is is limited. My SunnyD's already have me a little nervous.
 
Yeah. Mine slowly worked there way all the way to the sand bed. Seem to like it best there. I just picked up some darth mauls, red and blue hornets, and an unidentified green zoa. My sunny d's do the best. Grow like wildfire. All through my purple monti. They are the only zoa I have that likes the top.
20150817_131008.jpg
 
Do you think SunnyD's are palys vs Zoanthids?
 
They do look more like a paly in structure. But I'm not far enough into the science to differentiate the two. To me zoas and palys are pretty much the same. Pallys are just bigger. Lol my pink and gold palys look like zoas. So I guess sunny d's can look like pallys.
20150817_131016.jpg
 
Nice coral! I cant wait for this tank to mature!

Thanks Joshua, this tank has a ton of maturing to do, hopefully I get it right this time. This time around I feel I have really gotten some of the best equipment and I am on top of my chemistry, but that does get a little exhausting, still doing alk testing each day. Soon the dosing pumps will go in, and then fine tuning of the chemistry.

The tank will be a month old on 9/10, the tank is going through the natural uglies of new tanks.




One Pink Skunk Clown, one new Fox Face as of today and too many sps/acropora to name.
 
The Red Planet was on the edge, and might not make it.

My mistake was not considering that all the new water would drive up the alk to 11, a value I usually keep around 8-9. Live and learn, I used every gallon of water in the 20 and still needed a lot of new water.

Never had any cycle to speak of no ammonia or nitrites.

Currently going through the natural algae blooms you get with a new set up with lights running and feeding the tank.

Did not loose any corals and by the end of next month, knock on wood, it should settle out. Chemistry is excellent and growth on the sps is good so overall I am a happy camper. ;)
 
Your tank is incredible! Did you transfer from a different/larger tank to start?

Thanks. :)

No I was without a tank for almost a year. Started the 20 jbj frag in last Dec and of course it was not big enough. Got the JBJ 30 in August, and made a straight transfer, but I planned and lost sleep over how to make it as smooth as possible. I wanted a different scape design and such, it went really well, took 3 hours.

I had planned an anemone theme tank but the sps bug I can not resist, sigh.:oops:
 
Last edited:
This tank is awe inspiring! Thank you for posting. How do you like the Tunze 9001? Would you choose it again for this tank?
 


A JBJ rimless 30 RL, wet on Aug 11, 2015
AI Hydra
Tunze Doc 9001 Skimmer
MP10QD
Jager 75 watts.
Tunze Osmolator 3152
Corals:
Monitpora
Montipora Digitata Red and Purple.
Montipora Sertosa.
Jedi Mind Trick
Montipora Spongodes
Undata
Acropora
Red planet
Green planet
Nausta
Tenuis
Rosaria
Tyree Pink Lemonade
Sarmentosa
Spathulata
Milleopora
Ant Insignus
Miami Orchid
Enchinata


Pink Stylopora
LPS

Goniopora, green.
Gonipora Red
Duncan.

Zonathids
Rasta
SunnyD
Other Misc.


Stichodactyla tapetum aka Maxi Mini anemone.
Pink Skunk Clown.
Red Fire Shrimp
Crocea


Kent Kalk to ATO
Chemipure Elite
Two Fishes A/B for manual dosing.
Kent Tech Mag.
Lugols.
Nano Zeo Supplements
Strontium
Looking gread;)
 
This tank is awe inspiring! Thank you for posting. How do you like the Tunze 9001? Would you choose it again for this tank?

Thanks for the kind words! It's a work in progress more than anythings else.

I like the Tunze 9001 very much, I had the Tunze 9002 and liked that better. One thing about Tunze is they are quite. If your running an AIO tank one really needs an ATO to make the most of the skimmer. Water level is key. :)

Looking gread;)

Thank you.
 
In this image there is ORA Borealis, Tyree Pink Lemonade, A.spathulata ( Purple and pink up top), A. Rosaria, A. Millepora, Struber Stag, A. Tenuis, A. Nausta, A. Microclados, A. Sarmentosa, Setosa, Jedi Mind Trick and a large Acropora which I have no clue what it is.



Got a Red Dragon today and a Slimmer. :)
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top