Tank filling with bubbles at the top?

I had this same thing happen in one of my planted freshwater shrimp tanks when one of my rotala rotundifolia mysteriously died. I did a couple of water changes and it cleared up in about a week.
 
Update: I had added 4 hermits and a few big bristle worms I found after feeding from my other tank into the Mangrove tank last week. I did a short 1 hour pour acclimation (tanks have matching salinity/temps). 1-2 of the hermits died. One is 100% dead, the other may be a molt. The bristle worms died pretty quickly also. This is a bad sign...

More water changes and carbon!
 
Update: I had added 4 hermits and a few big bristle worms I found after feeding from my other tank into the Mangrove tank last week. I did a short 1 hour pour acclimation (tanks have matching salinity/temps). 1-2 of the hermits died. One is 100% dead, the other may be a molt. The bristle worms died pretty quickly also. This is a bad sign...

More water changes and carbon!
Man that's terrible, sorry that is still going on.
 
Man that's terrible, sorry that is still going on.
Yeah this is kind of ridiculous. Tank has been up for like 4-5 months now maybe even longer. I may have to do one of those ICP tests or restart. Not sure if I got the acronym right. At leas the mangroves are loving the tank!
 
Yeah this is kind of ridiculous. Tank has been up for like 4-5 months now maybe even longer. I may have to do one of those ICP tests or restart. Not sure if I got the acronym right. At leas the mangroves are loving the tank!
ICP test wouldn't hurt anything; my next idea would be a restart as well.
 
ICP test wouldn't hurt anything; my next idea would be a restart as well.
At this point with all the water changes it would basically be a restart haha. I know the water/salt I am using is fine because all my other tanks that use it are doing well. Maybe it could be something that leached into the rocks or sand? I guess an ICP test will tell me if this last batch of water changes doesn't do it.
 
Maybe it could be something that leached into the rocks or sand?
I'm thinking you may be right but I don't know enough about caulerpa toxins to suggest whether or not they bind and release from substrate. Maybe Randy Holmes Farley would have an opinion. Maybe the ICP test would tell you if its something else.
 
I'm thinking you may be right but I don't know enough about caulerpa toxins to suggest whether or not they bind and release from substrate. Maybe Randy Holmes Farley would have an opinion. Maybe the ICP test would tell you if its something else.
I honestly think it may be the Caulerpa toxins still because if the water level gets to low the powerhead starts breaking more surface, and tons of foam builds up again.. And when I did the big water change there was a ton of foam at the top. But when I do a nutrient test it says 0ppm
 
I honestly think it may be the Caulerpa toxins still because if the water level gets to low the powerhead starts breaking more surface, and tons of foam builds up again.. And when I did the big water change there was a ton of foam at the top. But when I do a nutrient test it says 0ppm
I would have thought the carbon would've pulled the toxins out by now. Perhaps you are not using an adequate amount of carbon or have inadequate water flow through it for it to be effective. I would try hanging a large media full of carbon in the display tank and point the return and powerheads at it. If I knew how to tag people here I would ask one of the experts.
 
I would have thought the carbon would've pulled the toxins out by now. Perhaps you are not using an adequate amount of carbon or have inadequate water flow through it for it to be effective. I would try hanging a large media full of carbon in the display tank and point the return and powerheads at it. If I knew how to tag people here I would ask one of the experts.
I have a huge thing of carbon in the first chamber where all the water flows through. I will try some new carbon as well and see the effects. Anyone here have an estimate on what the ICP test costs or even how to do it?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top