- Joined
- Dec 27, 2019
- Messages
- 586
- Reaction score
- 186
- What state or country do you live in
- California
Can I drill glass?Drill that tank and put in an over flow box. Turn it into a real reef.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Can I drill glass?Drill that tank and put in an over flow box. Turn it into a real reef.
Yeah, it’s very easy, youtube a video or ask for details when you are ready to do it. I drilled my 40 breeder, it was so easy. I use this overflow and it came with the drill bit that works on glass.Can I drill glass?
Its a type of live sand from Carib SeaWhat is special grade?
NO! Never!!! They should legally not even be allowed to call that sand. It’s chunks of mystery metals.What do you guys think about Caribsea live “black sand”
I’m afraid of leaving my fish and corals In a brute container for that longHere is what I did in a nut shell:
Cycle additional rock in a plastic bucket
Get a brute or plastic tote and drain 1/2 of the water
Remove rock/coral/fish and inverts. Avoid stirring up sandbed if possible
Pull out sand and toss it. Keep 1 cup to seed if you desire
Setup the new tank with new sand and let it settle for a day or two
Test, top off and change water in the holding brute/tote
Move everything over
Tank shouldn't cycle as the established rock should keep you going. Cycle any additional live rock for atleast 2 weeks in the bucket.
But there are corals attatched to every single rockIf you are using the same live rock, you don't even need cycling. Most people here would say you should use new sand. Just transfer the rocks, add new sand, add some water from the old tank and top off with new salt water, plug everything in, check parameters and transfer livestock
well it does not matter! You transfer rocks and corals, the whole thing to the new tank, add the sand and salt water and you are ready to goBut there are corals attatched to every single rock
It is easy. You should finish it all within a few hrs. The corals won’t even be stressed. Make sure salinity and temp match well when you transfer the animals.You make it sound easy haha
What type of sand?+1 new sand. Go 40g imo.
Look at Caribsea special grade. Not black!!!What type of sand?

Beautiful! Thank youI recently upgraded from a 110g to 170g while moving house. Granted the new tank was in place empty before I started. At the end of the day its just like doing a big water change.
What I did was
Pre filled 50% of the new tank with new salt water and heated this up to operation temp.
Turn off all equipment.
Drain as much water as poss into plastic srorage boxes
Added a heater and airstone in each. (I have spares)
Removed all rock and placed into the stored water, plus any corals.
Placed the rocks & corals into the new tank and used the water they were in to top up the new tank. Box by box until all rock and coral were in. (I'll add here that my salinity, pH and alk were a match for the current tank)
At this point I added the new sand (old tank was bare bottom) followed by fish acclimation then in they went.
The water the fish were in was discarded as it would have had ammonia build up possibly.
Then new tank was topped off by the new sw mix I had prepared. Ultimately just like doing a big water change. I dropped the heater into the DT and powerhead just to keep the animals happy while I took my time installing all remaining equipment
Points to note,
1. make sure you have more new salt water then you think you needheated to the tanks temp.
2. Plan ahead
3. Take your time.
I managed all without loosing anything so I was happy. All in all. It took 6 hours.
![]()
I would avoid acrylic personally. I have a 180g acrylic aquarium that the coraline has gotten so encrusted I'm moving everything to a glass tank of similar size. It scratches really easily and is way more difficult to keep clean. The advantage of acrylic however (what convinced me to go acrylic in the first place) is weight, potential clarity, and better insulation.Hey I’m currently using a cheap glass 20 gallon long and I want to upgrade to acrylic possibly 29 or 40 gallons. Any ideas on how I can go about doing this without killing anything? How do others do this and what exactly is the process of this? Is this even possible?
Hey why do I need an air stone what’s the point of that?I recently upgraded from a 110g to 170g while moving house. Granted the new tank was in place empty before I started. At the end of the day its just like doing a big water change.
What I did was
Pre filled 50% of the new tank with new salt water and heated this up to operation temp.
Turn off all equipment.
Drain as much water as poss into plastic srorage boxes
Added a heater and airstone in each. (I have spares)
Removed all rock and placed into the stored water, plus any corals.
Placed the rocks & corals into the new tank and used the water they were in to top up the new tank. Box by box until all rock and coral were in. (I'll add here that my salinity, pH and alk were a match for the current tank)
At this point I added the new sand (old tank was bare bottom) followed by fish acclimation then in they went.
The water the fish were in was discarded as it would have had ammonia build up possibly.
Then new tank was topped off by the new sw mix I had prepared. Ultimately just like doing a big water change. I dropped the heater into the DT and powerhead just to keep the animals happy while I took my time installing all remaining equipment
Points to note,
1. make sure you have more new salt water then you think you needheated to the tanks temp.
2. Plan ahead
3. Take your time.
I managed all without loosing anything so I was happy. All in all. It took 6 hours.
![]()
You need some circulation in the containers that are housing the fish for oxygen exchange. ideally for corals a small power head to circulate the water and keep the temp stable.Hey why do I need an air stone what’s the point of that?
Could I put the rocks and corals in an old 10 gallon tank and add a powerhead? Instead of using a brute canYou need some circulation in the containers that are housing the fish for oxygen exchange. ideally for corals a small power head to circulate the water and keep the temp stable.
If you don't have spare powerheads you can use airstones with an air pump to circulate the water.
As for reusing the sand I've never really made a tank swap before this one. But if I did I would definitely use some of the old sand as it will help to seed the new sand with all the benificial bacteria.Hey also In the 20 gallon tank I have right now I’m using Fiji pink sand. When I do the upgrade can I mix a little Fiji pink with the special grade? Or should I just get all new Fiji pink with the new tank? I’m trying to decide on special grade or Fiji pink

