The "Amazon Reef" (not the E-commerce variety) and its implications for reefers...

Great read! I find this whole discovery fascinating. The Earth is in a constant state of change and perhaps at one time this reef was just like any other reef system. Perhaps as the Amazon grew into the huge river system we know today more and more silt, nutrients and fresh water was delivered to the reef and with time and Darwinian Evolution species began to change and adapt to the new conditions. Like you Scott I am a believer in DNA, if it's there it will find a way to survive. Life always finds a way and this is a perfect example of this. It's ironic that, as I understand it, this system was discovered while surveying for oil. A great discovery on the possible precipice of it's destruction due to man's constant intervention in the search for oil. Collection and study of the reefs' flora and fauna is pretty much inevitable, I only hope it's preservation will become a priority and not just a "grab what you can and run" reaction.
Agree completely. I think it would be fun to try to "replicate" these conditions with some hardy, reality available corals to see how they do under these circumstances...WOuld be interesting, huh? Still more to learn< i suppose, before we really know what we'd be "replicating", other than a lot of current and some mud, lol- but it's fun to let the imagination go!
 
Would be really funny to recreate a species tank with those specific to this reef, just looks like a muddy cloud haha. "I swear there are beautiful corals and creatures in there trust me."
Oh no...I can almost see it now...the latest and greatest technique to make your corals pop - pump a mud cloud into your tank once a month!! :eek:
 
Oh no...I can almost see it now...the latest and greatest technique to make your corals pop - pump a mud cloud into your tank once a month!! :eek:
Hey, man, I see serious discussions on introducing micro bubbles into reef tank to stimulate...something, so who knows what the "grasping-at-straws-reefkeeping" crowd will jump on next! :rolleyes:​
 
It is not a mistake to take life from this system. Quite the opposite. Gather while you may.
Again, it is in an area that is environmentally protected, pirates be ******, but NOT oil companies be ******. We need to act fast to capture what is there (or propagate what is there in reefer speak) because it wont last much longer.
Not intended to start a flame war with right wingers, but this reef system is under duress from climate change and is almost certainly doomed by oil drilling: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d...t-the-amazon-rivers-hidden-reef/#.VyQtDjaLcpE

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...laware-found-at-the-mouth-of-the-amazon-river

Just a note that the planet has maintained the same temperature for the last 18 years. Don't want a debate so just providing balance to that remark. Let these comments die out as not everyone is not on the same page. Name calling such as "right-wingers" are not necessary.
http://www.climatedepot.com/2015/08...temperature-standstill-extends-to-233-months/
 
So you object to "right-winger" as name calling? Then you post an easily refuted article perpetuating the 18 year myth, from a website run by a right-wing climate denier? You can learn about that website here: http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Climate_Depot

You can learn about that 18 year myth, oh, like anywhere on the web. Climate Council has an article that explains it quite clearly. I'd copy a paste a few links but I'm not sure this is the thread for it. Short answer: Global Mean Surface Temperature is not how you calculate the rate of global warming.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top