sixty_reefer
5000 Club Member
View BadgesArticle Contributor
UK Reef Club Member
Hospitality Award
305 Reef Club
R2R Research
- Joined
- Nov 8, 2018
- Messages
- 5,875
- Reaction score
- 8,015
- Location
- The Reef
- What state or country do you live in
- United Kingdom
Live Phytoplankton is only as good as the nutrients in the brine water, having less phosphates is always a good thing in my books.I decided to use liquid seaweed on my two youngest tanks at a starting dose of .5ml per gallon of water, twice a day: once during lights on for ornamental macros and once at night for the bacteria. Bottom 55G tank is 6 weeks set up and shows film algae on glass every day. Top tank at 20 months mature has two established cryptic sponge refugiums: one in hi flow canister filter and one in plenum with reverse flow undergravel filter.
@sixty_reefer
Do you think that liquid seaweed would be a good carbon source for phytoplankton cultures in addition to Guillard f/2 fertilizer?
Tomorrow I get reef Actif and I will treat my two oldest tanks. My largest tank at 120G with 40G cryptic refugium with mud filter took a bullet in September when expoxed electrical cord pulled out of submersible pump. This happened while I was out of town for 2 weeks. When I first came home I saw much algae everywhere. and thought no big deal. Electricity arched in the water which generates chlorine. Because the pump motor windings were exposed to salt water, I probably have copper in my display tank. The pump that failed powered reverse flow undergravel filter with 2’ by 4’ plenum with 2” aragonite sandbed.
I would not add the liquid seaweed to any system that have Cyanobacteria or film algae.
reason being that the nitrogen could potentially work as a source of energy. I would start with the actif.
I’m not sure if the liquid seaweed fertiliser contains carbon, it’s hard to determine as we dnt know how they were manufactured.


