The Bacterial “Rip Clean” Method

Sounded like "may contain a little copper, don't worry" , versus "other methods contain copper ,worry"
Either way, with briopsis and cyano seemingly spurred on, I think bioactive is not even touted as a problem algae cure.
Oddly I started vinegar in kalk and Trace A and K a few weeks ago. Now my urchin and fox face eat briopsis off my overflow teeth and other fish keep it mowed down, whereas before they wouldn't touch it, very odd coincidence.
I also found it odd wend he mentioned that a Cyanobacteria patch and some bryopsis appeared. He only mentioned once (I wish he had updated further) it’s hard to pinpoint as he was increasing k+ and A- in conjunction with bacto balance that have nitrogen. As he didn’t mention further in the text I would think that it got under control although it’s something I believe he should of carry on updating.
 
@Lou Ekus
Can you expound about the copper as I just posted dry analysis of seaweed grown with zero copper in the water, yet seaweed dry analysis showed 7ppm copper and 139ppm zinc.,

“As a biopolymer mixture of natural orgin, it can contain traces of copper.”

As I interpret this, either the seaweed absorbed copper from the water or seaweed produced it using enzymes in their body mass or the extraction process produced the copper.

PS: When I had native pecan trees, soil analysis indicated low on zinc, a heavy metal. When I added chelated zinc in the Spring, in the Fall branches broke from the weight of the Pecan harvest. Previous to that year, pecan production happened every other year. So, trace minerals as enzymes produced a bountiful harvest. I am very intrigued with the orgin of copper.
I’d like to hear from Lou my interpretation is that we using carbohydrates from seaweed and plants and not using the hole plant, earlier me and you discussed the use of seaweed fertiliser in our gardens that are manufactured to retain all nutrients absorbed by the algae including nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus and trace.
one carbohydrates that most of us are aware how it’s done is brown sugar for example. So the risk of copper should be similar to diy nopox that contains brown sugar (carbohydrate)
 
I also found it odd wend he mentioned that a Cyanobacteria patch and some bryopsis appeared. He only mentioned once (I wish he had updated further) it’s hard to pinpoint as he was increasing k+ and A- in conjunction with bacto balance that have nitrogen. As he didn’t mention further in the text I would think that it got under control although it’s something I believe he should of carry on updating.
OK. I am ready to play.

I just received BioXtreme “Liquid Seaweed“. Take a look at “naturally balanced” chelated trace elements including: zinc & copper.

After 51 years as a marine aquarium hobbiest, I like Caribbean mixed garden lagoons. As my husbandry has evolved to cryptic refugiums and mud filters that recycle nutrients using the microbial loop to feed hungry mouths, I marvel at how interconnected the coral reef holibiont is. As @Timfish pointed out, even though the water on the natural reef is near zero inorganic nutrients that are dissolved in the water, the organic nutrients are in the “microbial loop”. So it is in my 25 year mature 75G display tank. I can only imagine that I have the special microbes because of the live stock that I keep. However, as I read the FB write up and other post on this thread, there was considerable finesse in phasing in the use of Actif. It seems to me the “art of implementation” would be enhanced if a company that test bacteria in reef aquarium would join the party.

DA8EDCF9-426D-4E36-B727-9C774263B1B3.jpeg A9311CAD-AEF6-497F-AFB8-74CB53C58DDD.jpeg
 
OK. I am ready to play.

I just received BioXtreme “Liquid Seaweed“. Take a look at “naturally balanced” chelated trace elements including: zinc & copper.

After 51 years as a marine aquarium hobbiest, I like Caribbean mixed garden lagoons. As my husbandry has evolved to cryptic refugiums and mud filters that recycle nutrients using the microbial loop to feed hungry mouths, I marvel at how interconnected the coral reef holibiont is. As @Timfish pointed out, even though the water on the natural reef is near zero inorganic nutrients that are dissolved in the water, the organic nutrients are in the “microbial loop”. So it is in my 25 year mature 75G display tank. I can only imagine that I have the special microbes because of the live stock that I keep. However, as I read the FB write up and other post on this thread, there was considerable finesse in phasing in the use of Actif. It seems to me the “art of implementation” would be enhanced if a company that test bacteria in reef aquarium would join the party.

DA8EDCF9-426D-4E36-B727-9C774263B1B3.jpeg A9311CAD-AEF6-497F-AFB8-74CB53C58DDD.jpeg
Are you taking into consideration that this is a fertiliser and not a carbohydrate? Something that could potentially be beneficial in a macro algae tank.
 
Are you taking into consideration that this is a fertiliser and not a carbohydrate? Something that could potentially be beneficial in a macro algae tank.
Major ingredient of the Big 3 are 0.1-0.0-0.2. That is not much fertilizer.

I do have mixed gardens with some ornamental macros: Bortacladia & Gracilaria Hayi. The Tangs in my larger display tanks don’t allow much macro to remain except the Hippo in 75G display, if I feed him enough desirable algae.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
 
Last edited:
Are you taking into consideration that this is a fertiliser and not a carbohydrate? Something that could potentially be beneficial in a macro algae tank.
The two 55G tanks here are my youngest systems: top system is 20 months established and bottom tank is 6 weeks set up with mature live rock covered in GSP that I am thinning out of 25 year established system. There is film algae in all systems

I will use this liquid algae concentrate to replace ChaetoGrow supplemets.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
 
Last edited:
Excellent system

Subsea, how could we discern any before and after change? What’s your goal / turn a no invasion tank into what? theres no target to work on at all?


people with invaded challenge tanks need the help, you’re not going to bring any here for a challenge run, just work on your own system?

working in others tanks means we get their unfiltered results
and we get a real challenge too

your tank is perfect in every way thats clear/ truly aged and balanced perfect.
 
Last edited:
The two 55G tanks here are my youngest systems: top system is 20 months established and bottom tank is 6 weeks set up with mature live rock covered in GSP that I am thinning out of 25 year established system. There is film algae in all systems

I will use this liquid algae concentrate to replace ChaetoGrow supplemets.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
That sound interesting, its something I would do also to encourage growth, just not something I would advise :) will be interesting to see the outcome.
 
Major ingredient of the Big 3 are 0.1-0.0-0.2. That is not much fertilizer.

I do have mixed gardens with some ornamental macros: Bortacladia & Gracilaria Hayi. The Tangs in my larger display tanks don’t allow much macro to remain except the Hippo in 75G display, if I feed him enough desirable algae.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
It’s interesting that it doesn’t contain phosphates
 
Excellent system

Subsea, how could we discern any before and after change? What’s your goal / turn a no invasion tank into what? theres no target to work on at all?


people with invaded challenge tanks need the help, you’re not going to bring any here for a challenge run, just work on your own system?

working in others tanks means we get their unfiltered results
and we get a real challenge too

your tank is perfect in every way thats clear/ truly aged and balanced perfect.
Brandon,
If you were the original poster, I would consider it. This thread is not yours to play.

All serious hobbiest belong here. Note the second paragraph in original post.

“The goal of this thread is to discuss and illustrate the use of carbohydrates into clean reef tanks from pollutant that aid the growth of algae and other nuisances bringing biofloc knowledge to the reef aquaria hobby.”

PS: This is what you said about my tank pictures from 2 hours ago:

“your tank is perfect in every way thats clear/ truly
aged and balanced perfect.”

PS: I consider the second picture an example of Dynamic Equilibrium or balanced. As a “Laissez Faire” reefkeeper, I don’t sweat the small stuff like first picture.

These pictures are 2 minutes old from the same tank.

image.jpg image.jpg
 
Last edited:
I have a question. I've been reading the FB artical listed earlier with the Q&A with Hans. More than once they mention the benifit to filter feeders. The tank I was planning on using for this is completely overrun with vermitid snails and I really do not want to add anything to benifit them. Thoughts?
 
Last edited:
I have a question. I've been reading the FB arrical listed earlier with the Q&A with Hans. More than once they mention the benifit to filter feeders. The tank I was planning on using for this is completely overrun with vermitid snails and I really do not want to add anything to benifit them. Thoughts?
This is an interesting point I hadn't considered. Thanks for asking. Looking forward to reading the responses.
 
I have a question. I've been reading the FB artical listed earlier with the Q&A with Hans. More than once they mention the benifit to filter feeders. The tank I was planning on using for this is completely overrun with vermitid snails and I really do not want to add anything to benifit them. Thoughts?
Vermitid snails being filter feeders would probably benefit from the extra nutrition. Have you considered adding bumble bee snails in your system to keep the vermitid population in check?
 
Vermitid snails being filter feeders would probably benefit from the extra nutrition. Have you considered adding bumble bee snails in your system to keep the vermitid population in check?
Its a 6 foot 180 gallon and they are everywhere. Many places a snail could not even access. I sure don't want to give them additions nutrition. I'll probably just use the reefer 170 as I was originally intending and just go slow and keep and eye on things. It's smaller so will be easier to maintain and get photos etc.
 
I decided to use liquid seaweed on my two youngest tanks at a starting dose of .5ml per gallon of water, twice a day: once during lights on for ornamental macros and once at night for the bacteria. Bottom 55G tank is 6 weeks set up and shows film algae on glass every day. Top tank at 20 months mature has two established cryptic sponge refugiums: one in hi flow canister filter and one in plenum with reverse flow undergravel filter.

@sixty_reefer
Do you think that liquid seaweed would be a good carbon source for phytoplankton cultures in addition to Guillard f/2 fertilizer?

Tomorrow I get reef Actif and I will treat my two oldest tanks. My largest tank at 120G with 40G cryptic refugium with mud filter took a bullet in September when expoxed electrical cord pulled out of submersible pump. This happened while I was out of town for 2 weeks. When I first came home I saw much algae everywhere. and thought no big deal. Electricity arched in the water which generates chlorine. Because the pump motor windings were exposed to salt water, I probably have copper in my display tank. The pump that failed powered reverse flow undergravel filter with 2’ by 4’ plenum with 2” aragonite sandbed.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 40
For those interested, AquaCave contacted me a couple of hours ago to let me know "there will be an approximately 2 week delay" before they can ship me the 2 bottles of TM Reef Actif I ordered. Not sure why or how this relates to how hard it is to find it lately, but I suppose I'll patiently wait.

If anyone has a source for getting a bottle sooner I'm all ears!
 
Wow! This seems like a really intriguing idea. Is there anyway I could humbly request a synthesized summary of the discussion for those of us who aren't as scientifically versed as some of you guys? I'd really like to understand the concept in laymen's terms if possible. :)
 
Wow! This seems like a really intriguing idea. Is there anyway I could humbly request a synthesized summary of the discussion for those of us who aren't as scientifically versed as some of you guys? I'd really like to understand the concept in laymen's terms if possible. :)
I’m not super scientifically inclined either…

My understanding is Reef Actif (and to a lesser extent, Bacto-Balance) feed a certain kind of beneficial bacteria. As a bonus, these products are not really accessible to the kinds of organisms we don’t want (like cyano, GHA, etc).

So, in a relatively short period of time, using these products should build up the good biome and outcompete the bad stuff.

One more bonus…these good bacteria are also good food for filter feeders like coral. Soooo using Actif may indirectly enhance coral growth and health.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top