The Bacterial “Rip Clean” Method

@sixty_reefer

I will be increasing bioflic dosage from
1.5 to 2 grams which is 100% of maximum recommended dosage.

I feel full dosage every 2 days is more effective than 1/2 that amount every day. Any thoughts or suggestions?

doing full dosage goes more in line with the product recommendation
Also with respect to recommended maximum dosage, did I understand you to have doubled that dosage rate? Can you expound on that?
I do it for several reasons, firstly is curiosity and I’d like to see how safe it is and if it can impact nitrates and phosphates. So far at double recommend dose it still safe in my system and no large impact on nitrates and phosphates.
Secondly is due to carbohydrates in the article being in balance with the amount of food a system gets daily in biofloc. I feed around 4 cubes of frozen a day on a small 25gallon
 
I’m now 3 days in. Second dose was yesterday morning before lights on. A reminder, I’m dosing roughly 1/2 of max (one level scoop in a 225g system) every other day.

Below is the cyano spot I will avoid syphoning in my weekly water change. This is today:

371C5BF7-9D35-49EC-BAB2-94B9B885C4E8.jpeg


And this was before I started the Actif regimen:
4B2FAFD0-39B2-4593-82D3-4427C16D2F7B.jpeg


Obviously this is all very early on so I’m not surprised to see no significant changes anywhere. That said, my new maxima clam looks happier than it ever has in the two weeks I’ve had it:

5496B60B-41DD-4DB0-B570-A6B1B133A53F.jpeg
Did you added GAC to the system? Although Cyanobacteria looks worse the water seems more clear in comparison to the first pic?
 
Question about the amount to dose. From TM Max dosage "One measuring spoon per 500 litres/132 US gallons of aquarium water three times a week" How should I go about calculating dosage? I have about 40g total volume in the tank I am going to use this in. Can I mix it with water then do the math and divide the amount or will the product go bad in storage between doses if mixed with water? A scale maybe (which I do not have)? Not everyone has tanks as large or larger than 132g so I'm not sure why they don't break the dosage down into smaller doses. Sure would be easy to add up rather than calculate down since the spoon is the only measurement they provide. I have the product and am ready to start once I can figure out how much to start with.
8918AF63-804B-4427-B138-0BEF7D2322AA.jpeg

this is what I started with on a 25g for a visual idea of the dosage.
 
8918AF63-804B-4427-B138-0BEF7D2322AA.jpeg

this is what I started with on a 25g for a visual idea of the dosage.

Thanks. I wonder if I should just get a scale? I can get one local that measures 0.01gm and its not too expensive. I've never measure powder before so I'm not sure if that is sensitive enough :thinking-face:
 
Did you added GAC to the system? Although Cyanobacteria looks worse the water seems more clear in comparison to the first pic?
No GAC. It’s possible the water is a bit clearer. I’ll try and keep an eye on that trend.

FYI, I siphon the cyano once a week on the weekend. So I’m not surprised it’s worse because it’s worse everywhere in the tank…it was Sunday when I last siphoned
 
Thanks. I wonder if I should just get a scale? I can get one local that measures 0.01gm and its not too expensive. I've never measure powder before so I'm not sure if that is sensitive enough :thinking-face:
That’s more than accurate. Initially I weighed by adding to dry cup. My scale in not as accurate on the low end so I start with glass container as tare, to increase tare I added water to glas, then added dry powder.
 
Thanks. I wonder if I should just get a scale? I can get one local that measures 0.01gm and its not too expensive. I've never measure powder before so I'm not sure if that is sensitive enough :thinking-face:
My scale's sensitivity is 0.1,you will be fine.

May I suggest, weigh the spoon, set to zero(tare). Fill the spoon with actif and level it, then weigh the spoon with the product. This will be your calibration of actif to your scale.

Then: 40 gallon/132 gallon = .303030
When you get your grams per spoon, you want .303030 of that FOR YOUR MAX DOSE. (Just do .3 to keep it simple) From there, just scale it how you want.
 
doing full dosage goes more in line with the product recommendation

I do it for several reasons, firstly is curiosity and I’d like to see how safe it is and if it can impact nitrates and phosphates. So far at double recommend dose it still safe in my system and no large impact on nitrates and phosphates.
Secondly is due to carbohydrates in the article being in balance with the amount of food a system gets daily in biofloc. I feed around 4 cubes of frozen a day on a small 25gallon
Your feeding regime is similar to mine. I will increase my production phytoplankton to increase carbon in.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 37
One week of three day full treatment, 2 1/2 per 110. Nothing worth taking pictures over but have to say glass has been a lot cleaner. I'm probably gonna post pics monthly as nothing including this will work in a week or two.
 
My scale's sensitivity is 0.1,you will be fine.

May I suggest, weigh the spoon, set to zero(tare). Fill the spoon with actif and level it, then weigh the spoon with the product. This will be your calibration of actif to your scale.

Then: 40 gallon/132 gallon = .303030
When you get your grams per spoon, you want .303030 of that FOR YOUR MAX DOSE. (Just do .3 to keep it simple) From there, just scale it how you want.
I decided I should have a scale since I could have used one in the past. I went to the local outdoor store and got one used for measuring gun powder for reloading ammo. It measures grains and grams so I went with grains and came up with .31gr per gallon. So 12.5gr per 40g and figured to start at 50% so 7gr per dose. A full scoop weighed up at 41gr and doses 132g is what I based my math on. But I went to work at a young age and didn't get much math schooling so please feel free to check my math. This is the scale I got. It comes with a calibration weight and calibrates every time its turned on. I figure if its good enough for ammunition it should be good enough for reefing. scale.jpg
 
I decided I should have a scale since I could have used one in the past. I went to the local outdoor store and got one used for measuring gun powder for reloading ammo. It measures grains and grams so I went with grains and came up with .31gr per gallon. So 12.5gr per 40g and figured to start at 50% so 7gr per dose. A full scoop weighed up at 41gr and doses 132g is what I based my math on. But I went to work at a young age and didn't get much math schooling so please feel free to check my math. This is the scale I got. It comes with a calibration weight and calibrates every time its turned on. I figure if its good enough for ammunition it should be good enough for reefing. scale.jpg
 
A little bit over or under will not hurt your system, I find it a little funny people are using scales with this. The manufacturer covers their butt and gives you what they think is best. I'll put 60 grams in my tank tomorrow and I'll bet nothing dies. From what I get is your supposed to be on a schedule. Its about management and understanding.
 
I'll be starting tonight with reef actif after lights out. I'll start dosing 7grains (bought a grain / gram scale) every other day. It's what I calculated to be 50% of the recommended dose of 1 scoop per 132g to start. My math skill suck so feel free to check my calculations above in post #553 Below are images from today. I'm not going to vacuum or do any cleaning except the glass unless corals need some assistance. I wonder now though. How are those that are dosing RA doing water changes? business as usual or have you changed your schedule?
Full tank shot DSC00128 (Custom).JPG

Left side
DSC00014 (Custom).JPG

right side
DSC00017 (Custom).JPG

bubble algae coming on
DSC00130 (Custom).JPG
 
A little bit over or under will not hurt your system, I find it a little funny people are using scales with this. The manufacturer covers their butt and gives you what they think is best. I'll put 60 grams in my tank tomorrow and I'll bet nothing dies. From what I get is your supposed to be on a schedule. Its about management and understanding.
Yes but this is the only time I get to play science guy so I'm making the most out of it :face-with-tears-of-joy:. And the new scale is sooo cool! Also if things work or don't work out I'd like to have a record of amount just for reference.
 
A little bit over or under will not hurt your system, I find it a little funny people are using scales with this. The manufacturer covers their butt and gives you what they think is best. I'll put 60 grams in my tank tomorrow and I'll bet nothing dies. From what I get is your supposed to be on a schedule. Its about management and understanding.
I get what your saying and that's the story of my reef keeping life. This is more of a scientific case study for me. Dosing pretty close to what the manufacturer says and seeing if their claims are correct.
Snake oils will not cure your system!
Kind of like what this guy said, proving if it's snake oil or not.
Mind your own reef wax. LOL jk.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top