Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
So if this statement is accurate, that means all of our skimmers are all under rated for our bio load coz all I see is lots of foam and gunk
[/FONT][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode, Lucida Grande, sans-serif]What do you guys think?[/FONT]Depends on nutrient levels. How heavy you are feeding. I prefer to run a slightly more dirty tank i feel corals do better


I knew mine wouldn't be as nasty as some peoples lol.
Day 2, I forgot to post yesterday.
![]()
I'll get a day three pic later this afternoon.
Ok I have a question for you guys since we're on this topic of skimmate. I read this somewhere so please tell me what you guys think:
Choosing the right skimmer for your aquarium is all about understanding "Bio-Load". When a skimmer can handle the bio-load of the system, it will actually “idle” when the level of Dissolved Organic Compounds ( DOC’s) drops low enough to limit fractionation. i.e., there aren’t enough DOC’s to form a stable head of Foamate. When a skimmer cannot handle the bio-load, it will continuously be creating foamate and skimmate and never “idle”. This is a clear indication that the skimmer is undersized for the system and should be upgraded or modified to handle the existing bio-load
So the question is if the skimmer keeps collecting and producing foam and does not idle, does it mean it cannot handle the bioload therefore, it's too small for the tank? My understanding is that the more it produces foam and gunk that it's doing its job as opposed to not being able to handle the bio loadSo if this statement is accurate, that means all of our skimmers are all under rated for our bio load coz all I see is lots of foam and gunk
What do you guys think?

The idea is for the skimmer to deal with the gunk and go idle for some time before another feeding or fish poop sends it back to action. It has to do with the skimmer being large enough to deal with proteins before they start to decompose as then the skimmer cannot bind them to air and send them up to the cup.
I run an oversized skimmer as my setup is not yet at the planned final volume (even then the skimmer will still be rated for more than I'll have) and what I've noticed is the following:
-Skimmer is more sensitive to any changes (feeding or hands in the tank) and looses head more than the smaller skimmer I had and for more time.
-it is working better and has a better foam head after I exceeded a certain fish load.
few considerations on simzing skimmers:
-Believe it makes sense to oversize your skimmer now as current filtration techniques rely a lot more on carbon dosing and excellent skimmer performance to clean up.
-Skimmer rating is not an exact science.
-Fish load varies a not in tanks of the same size
-fish types and need to overfeed some fish other than you would feed other fish in same numbers (Anthias...)
-Reefers preferrence to overfeed their fish or to feed their corals or not...
-Skimmer tune up and keeping the neck clean.
-Wet skimming VS Dry skimming
So, it's a good thing then when the skimmer looks like these photos we posts then? The way I understand idle is when I put my hands in the tank the skimmer slows down and it stops bubbling. Then once I'm done within a few minutes it starts up again. Is this idle?

