THE DIRTY SKIMMER "CUP" - lets all play along

How often do you clean your skimmer cup

  • every few days

    Votes: 56 21.2%
  • weekly

    Votes: 130 49.2%
  • bi-weekly

    Votes: 51 19.3%
  • monthly

    Votes: 12 4.5%
  • hardly ever

    Votes: 3 1.1%
  • automated drain/self cleaning

    Votes: 12 4.5%

  • Total voters
    264
Day cinco de cup
 

Attachments

  • 20141212_142122.jpg
    20141212_142122.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 308
Day 5:
96hrs after clean

"48 hrs after biweekly 20% water change."

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1418430349.831727.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1418430373.149163.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1418430393.253258.jpg


Skimmer neck must be getting pretty nasty by now b/c I am only getting about 1/8"-1/4" of skimmate now.


Bubble King Mini 180
90 gal mixed Reef
30 gal Sump w/ Refugium
No GFO No Carbon
6 Clownfish, 4 Firefish Gobys, 3 Tangs, 1 Mandarin Dragonet, 1 Leopard Wrasse
1 cube of Rods Food mixed with Reef-Roids & Reef Chili & Amino's every other day.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1418430422.451369.jpg

FTS as of 12-12-14 "Lit up like a Christmas tree"
 
Day 5:
96hrs after clean

"48 hrs after biweekly 20% water change."

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1418430349.831727.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1418430373.149163.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1418430393.253258.jpg


Skimmer neck must be getting pretty nasty by now b/c I am only getting about 1/8"-1/4" of skimmate now.


Bubble King Mini 180
90 gal mixed Reef
30 gal Sump w/ Refugium
No GFO No Carbon
6 Clownfish, 4 Firefish Gobys, 3 Tangs, 1 Mandarin Dragonet, 1 Leopard Wrasse
1 cube of Rods Food mixed with Reef-Roids & Reef Chili & Amino's every other day.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1418430422.451369.jpg

FTS as of 12-12-14 "Lit up like a Christmas tree"

Absolutely gorgeous tank!
 
5 Days
5Days.jpg


_DSC7149.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

_DSC7150.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

_DSC7151.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
 
Day 5. I usually clean it by now it starts to smell sulfuric and nasty
 

Attachments

  • uploadfromtaptalk1418453017259.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418453017259.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 203
Last day, day 6 Saturday is my cleaning day and I really need to clean this bad boy. I might poor the good stuff into a bowl and get some pictures after a bit for tomorrow since I'll be all clean by then.
 

Attachments

  • uploadfromtaptalk1418473829708.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418473829708.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 199
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418473857171.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418473857171.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 206
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418473877850.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418473877850.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 204
Day 6

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1418484403.912973.jpg


I think Monday morning I will pour my skimmate in a measuring container so we can see the amount collected.

By the way, it smells to high heaven. I rinse my cup out at least twice a week. Pheew!
 
Day 6
Sunday I will clean up the collection cup.
I rinse my cup out at least once a week.

IMG_3839.JPG
 
Ya im getting to overflow capacity here also and will tap out tomorrow but will get all the final nasty pics up along with it. Good week and seems this event was fun and very helpful.
Day 6
 

Attachments

  • 20141213_095948.jpg
    20141213_095948.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 217
Everyone is in luck, didn't do my Saturday routine due to side work offer I couldn't refuse today I'll have one more set of pictures along with the glory of the awfulness pictures as I clean. Stay tuned
 
Got my hands in the tank today to add these...
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1418509393.360769.jpg


ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1418509418.212804.jpg


ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1418509432.810570.jpg


ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1418509446.640343.jpg


Again apologize for the camera phone pics. I do practice with my wife's canon today using some of the pic threads and think I may have figured some stuff out but I am a pre-novice with photography. Would upload those but she is taking pictures of our kids, 2 & 4, decorating cookies - my ocd was on overload so had to take a break.

Here it is:

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1418509658.774315.jpg


Day six - looks like it got a little bump from me being in there today.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top